Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot vs Hamer

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a big Hamer fan, but he is winning me over.

Great saves at the end of the Brentford game, nice tip onto the post against Hudds, and a BIG stand-up and block towards the end of the Hudds game too.

Not sure Robbie could match those, but still a fair keeper in his own right. 
    Anyway, he has a 5 year deal at NUFC on £20k a week - that's £5 million in wages for a local lad, so no complaints from him either I reckon. 

He's probably on his way to the big reserve match against Gresley Rovers right now.
  • Options
    One thing I also noticed about Hamer is how much he appears to care. He is always so pumped up at the end of games, and I remember one incident last night when Solly did a brilliant piece of defending, there was then a stoppage and in this stoppage Hamer must have run 20 yards over to Solly patted him on the back and ran back to his goal again. It shows how much we are playing for each other and how good the team spirit is. Good to see.
  • Options
    he makes a few mistakes but what keeper doesn't. No better, no worse than Robbie IMHO.

my thoughts as well
  • Options
    One thing I also noticed about Hamer is how much he appears to care. He is always so pumped up at the end of games, and I remember one incident last night when Solly did a brilliant piece of defending, there was then a stoppage and in this stoppage Hamer must have run 20 yards over to Solly patted him on the back and ran back to his goal again. It shows how much we are playing for each other and how good the team spirit is. Good to see.
    exactly, team spirit and confidence in one another are THE most important components of a successful side.
  • Options
    Hard to call to be honest, Hamer certainly benefits from having arguably the best drilled and organised defence since the premiership days in front of him, but then is it fair to say that is in part due to the confidence they have in him in turn? Certainly not a finished product at any rate, early on in the second half he was nowhere near a cross on several occassions and as one Lifer said looked absolutely terrified, but then a couple of good stops later and he was backing himself against in form Rhodes and the man-mountain Parkin.

I've seen 'confidence players' before but I think Hamer must be the first I've seen in goal!
  • Options
    Hamer is supposedly a nutter aswell in the mould of Herman!
  • Options

Here we go again.

If Robbie had dropped the crosses Hamer did last night or slipped making a save he would have been crucified on here despite a win and a clean sheet but it's halo and horns. 

Hamer is a good keeper who sometimes makes mistakes same as Robbie IMHO but one is slim and we paid a fee for him so his errors are overlooked.

Can't say I agree there Henners.

Robbie would have stayed on his line and drawn more pressure upon us - Hamer asserts himself and although he doesn't always take it cleanly we don't seem to concede goals as a result of him.

Hamer isn't perfect but he is also young and getting regular football for the first time in a while.  There were 4 or 5 shots last night that bounced right in front of him and he held them all.  These are the sort of shots Elliot would spill to an onrushing striker.
  • Options
    What I liked about Hamer last night was even after he flapped and missed a few he still threw himself at every ball. Robbie had a tendancy to retreat within himself after a slip up

Good point.

Confidence from a goalie breeds confidence in the defence.
  • Options

I think Robbie all day long.  Time will tell though. 

In his time in the first team Robbie didn't consistently have a defence like we have now.  The time to judge Hamer will be if the centrebacks are having an off day and the opposition are pummeling us.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    My one real criticism is his reluctance to throw the ball out. He often shapes to do so but by the time he decides he will, the oppo have shut down the receiver and he ends up having to kick long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Had a great game last night.

• Options
    My one real criticism is his reluctance to throw the ball out. He often shapes to do so but by the time he decides he will, the oppo have shut down the receiver and he ends up having to kick long.

Sometimes there is nobody showing to receive in my opinion.

Robbie did the same thing and had the same problem.

• Options
    I prefer Hamer over Elliott but would take Darren Randolph back like a shot. Should never have allowed him to get away.
  • Options

you need a decent keeper for promotion , we had that in randolph and failed to utilise

hamer is a decent enough keeper for promotion

definite room for improvement but rather than hide he's amongst it putting his cock in the custard, reminds me of a young grobelaar who always came to claim the lot and looked awful when he missed em

in SCP we trust

ABR

• Options
    Hamer for me. Right size and build for a goalkeeper. Looks to me as though he has improvement in him which I never felt Robbie did. In fact I felt Robbie actually went backwards in his last few months with us.
  • Options

Nervy 1st half, very assured 2nd half.

Part of a back 5 that get stronger the more times they play together.

• Options
    @ShootersHillGuru not the right build as of yet, has been told to bulk up a bit hence why he eat a whole box of Krispy Kremes the other week.
  • Options
    @ShootersHillGuru not the right build as of yet, has been told to bulk up a bit hence why he eat a whole box of Krispy Kremes the other week.
    I assume you mean Robbie ;0)
  • Options

Sometimes there is nobody showing to receive in my opinion.

Robbie did the same thing and had the same problem.

that could well be under orders ... his long kicks to the edge of the opposition pen area put instant pressure on opposing defences
  • Options

you need a decent keeper for promotion , we had that in randolph and failed to utilise

ABR

Agree that Randolph was the best keeper we've had in League 1. Wished we'd kept him.

Hamer and Robbie are on about the same level IMO, Hamer is OK but I don't think he is up to the standard of the rest of teh team and GK is certainly a position I'd hope we'd look to stregthen in if/when we get promoted.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Not seen a massive amount of Hamer but on what I have seen I wouldn't say there's too much to choose between them. Bothe able shot stoppers (Hamer probably a bit better than Elliot) both capable of a good flap at a cross, both have pretty good distribution that can sometimes be a bit wayward.

Big difference for Hamer is the back 4 in front of him, but he is also a leaner and looks a more naturally fit player. Parkin's shot last night was the kind that could ocasionally elude Elliot so I'd take Hamer over Robbie but I think our deefensive recoord would be much the same if Elliot was still our number 1.

Randolph still better than both of them.

• Options
    I believe Robbie is a stronger keeper than Hamer  because he seems to flap at quite a few crosses, but I also believe that Hamer is a stonger shot stopper than Robbie was/is.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hamer oozes confidence which is what you need from a keeper.  Him > Elliot anyday!
  • Options
    IF Elliot got fit he is easily the better keeper in my book.  Not convinced at all by Hamer.  One of the key areas of the team where we would definately need to strengthed if we go up. 
  • Options
    I believe Robbie is a stronger keeper than Hamer  because he seems to flap at quite a few crosses, but I also believe that Hamer is a stonger shot stopper than Robbie was/is.
    The same crosses Robbie rarely came for?
  • Options
    The same crosses Robbie rarely came for?
    That was the biggest problem with Elliot.Sometime he came for crosses, sometimes he didn't. Deano used to stay rooted to his line 95% of the time which was fine because he backed his shot stopping and the defence knew they had to deal with the crosses.

Hamer comes for as much as he can. He doesn't always get there, and it'd be better if he did, but the fact the defence know he's probably coming means that can react accordingly.

Elliot's unpredictability bred a lack of confidence amoung his defenders.
  • Options
    Hamer is a good player but so was Elliot. Not a great deal of difference between the two IMO.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited November 2011

Robbie by far. If only our fans gave the loyality they demand.

Also agree with EA that Randolph beats them both.

• Options
    Elliot takes a lot of flak because he was part of 2 and half years of pretty much dross.

I admit i never really rated him as a No.1 whereas i rated Randolph and believed he should have been between the sticks.

I think we should move on from this kind of topic now as Hamer is our No.1, and doing a pretty good job at it and hopefully he will continue to develop with a progressive team.
  • Options
    Elliott from what I've seen so far.  Hamer has looked shaky to me and unlike Robbie he's had the luxury of a solid defence.  Not to say Ben can't pull it out the bag, but not convinced so far.