Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot vs Hamer

13»

Comments

• Options
    I definitely think it is main area we would need to strengthen if we go up. Hamer is promising, but still has a lot to learn.  Sully is similar.  For the Championship, we'd need someone who is already more established as a safe pair of hands.
  • Options
    agree with weegie, one of the things that i keep banging about, not having an old head around in the gk department. think we would deffo look at new number 1 if we went up, someone mid 30's been there done it got the tee shirt, just to help and guide ben and sullivan along the way.
  • Options

Elliot was / is s***e. Only thing that saved him was the fact he was a fan. - NO communication, NO command of his 6-yard box, let alone 18-yard box, No abilty with his feet, No chance of him saving long range efforts.

Hamer is / will be our no.1 for a while to come. - great prospect, sure he 'juggles' the ball sometimes from crosses, and even mis-judges them completely but id rather that than no attempt at all.

• Options
    ok son, when i said always tell the truth, i should have added you can be economical with at times
  • Options
    I wonder how good Hamer would look if he had been playing behind last season's defence?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Lets be honest we havent had a proper decent keeper since Deano.

I think Scott Carson might beg to differ. When an on-loan goalkeeper is your Player of the Season in a relegation year he must have been doing something right!

Hamer looks a better keeper than Elliott but he's playing in front of a far better defense which breeds confidence. It's also a bit of chicken+egg as the keeper can also inspire confidence in the defense. Sadly for Robbie, who I like, the defensive unit lacked any sort of confidence last season and they basically locked themselves into a self-destructive cycle where nobody trusted anyone to do what was needed.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

• Options

Can't argue with that
  • Options
    Hamer hasn't had that much chances to REALLY prove himself so far as I can tell, there were matches last season where the only reason we didn't lose, or didn't lose as badly was because of Elliot. Hamer hasn't had that opportunity (gladly) but I trust him to bring the goods when its needed. His only worries are his flapping at crosses..
  • Options

I don't believe there is a massive difference between Randolph, Elliot, Sullivan & Hamer. If there was, then we'd all agree.

It is also now, more difficult to judge, as we have such a strong team. Elliot looked fine at the start of this season.

However, out of Hamer & Elliot, I'd have to choose Hamer.

Elliot let in far too many long range shots. I feel that this was due to him moving too late. Was this because of his lack of agility ? Concrete boots ?

Surely he wasn't short sighted ? Sounds ridiculous, but you never know. Perhaps poor positioning ?

Hamer, strikes me as a "lucky" keeper. He's usually in the right place at the right time. The ball goes to his midriff, whereas it didn't seem to as often with Elliot.If he drops it, he gets it back. But you make your own luck ?

Crosses - Whilst neither are great. Hamer comes & gets more than Elliot did & I have more confidence in Hamer, although certainly not 100%.

If the majority of the supporters have more confidence in Hamer, then I would expect the players to as well. We're not usually wrong  :-)