Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life on Mars

Anyone else watch it last night?

Watched both episodes. Just as good as the first series, fantastic drama. But who's on the end of the phone????

Can't believe the yanks are re-making it rather than just showing the British version.

Comments

• Options
    oh dear you've just reminded me another reason why im in the dog house. when's it repeated?
  • Options
    not a patch on Shameless....now that was quality !!!
  • Options
    This is the only thing on TV where I am prepared to drop everything to watch it. Excellent stuff.
  • Options
    i have to sky plus shameless as i am always ready for bloody bed - so so funny.
  • Options
    I tried to watch it last night, fell asleep about half way through!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]oh dear you've just reminded me another reason why im in the dog house. when's it repeated?
    Can't find a repeat timing for Ep1 on the BBC site. You can download it from a torrent site tho.
    Ep2 is BBC1 Tuesday 9pm, Ep3 is BBC4 Tuesday 10pm
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I tried to watch it last night, fell asleep about half way through!
    Atrocious behaviour!!! ;o)
  • Options
    Not watched it yet, it's on the sky + awaiting my attention.

On the subject of tha yanks remaking it. This will be because.

1. the episodes will be way to long for commercial laden us telly
    2. they will want a lot more episodes out of it than the Beeb will give them.
    3. Hour long TV drama's are expensive to make and they will want an established name to sell it to the networks.
  • Options
    could be quite cool if they shoot it in 16mm like starsky and hutch / kojak... the Sweeny UK version might be over their heads..
  • Options
    I believe BBC America (the commercial arm) shows it already and they have adverts on that channel - probably stretches the 60 minute programme to 90 mins or 85 + a news bulletin or something.

Granted, they'll no doubt want to turn it into a 22 episode series that'll be stretched over 7 seasons - that'll just kill it IMO.

The rights have been bought by David E Kelly (think "Ally McAnorexic" and the like).
  • Options
    Oh, and there's talk of a 1981-based Gene Hunt spin-off called "Ashes to Ashes"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    talking or remakes, did i read that right in this morning's metro that they are going to remake bionic woman with that girl from eastenders thats shown in the 'you aint my muvva' clip playing the lindsay wagner part ?
  • Options
    Liz White is lovely
  • Options
    ltgtr:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a42712/enders-star-to-play-the-bionic-woman.html
  • Options
    yeah i heard that about bionic woman, can't see it myself, nice bird though...
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the first series of life on mars, so i decided to watch the idiot box last night from 9, then shameless after.

Life on mars is fantastic. John simm is king man
  • Options
    Sorry, but I must be the only person on the planet who thinks thIs programme is complete and utter shoite.

Poorly scripted poorly shot and badly acted IMO.
  • Options
    watched it last night for the first time. and thought it was a bit rubbish.
  • Options
    shameless on the other hand was superb! I try to remember the quotes every wednesday but they all just go!!!

there were loads last night.
  • Options
    Episode 2 is a lot better.

Shameless has jumped the shark for me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Sorry, but I must be the only person on the planet who thinks thIs programme is complete and utter shoite.

which programme ?...lom or shameless ?...not seen shameless but lom surely is meant to be a parody for those of us that lived through it to have a giggle or cringe at...i even learnt to drive in a mark 3 that colour...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    its just goodnight sweethart mark 2, thats meant to be more serious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]its just goodnight sweethart mark 2, thats meant to be more serious.

No no no!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    confused, when were episodes one and two on? I recorded one last night that had some bloke done in on a bus.

Good harmless retro fun, if you're a fan of Sweeny and perhaps Minder?

How do you mean its badly shot, the actings not too bad either... well better than some of the formulaic pap the been put out.

PS not hard to be more serious than goodnight sweetheart, and far better in my opinion
  • Options
    i loved bionic women............was always her in the playground!

LOM I have missed, shame it sounds a good un
  • Options
    Episode two was on BBC4 at 10 last night, it's good, they've got.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Sorry, but I must be the only person on the planet who thinks thIs programme is complete and utter shoite.

which programme ?...lom or shameless ?...not seen shameless but lom surely is meant to be a parody for those of us that lived through it to have a giggle or cringe at...i even learnt to drive in a mark 3 that colour...
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]confused, when were episodes one and two on? I recorded one last night that had some bloke done in on a bus.

Good harmless retro fun, if you're a fan of Sweeny and perhaps Minder?

How do you mean its badly shot, the actings not too bad either... well better than some of the formulaic pap the been put out.

Sorry again, should have made it clear I meant Life on Mars, never seen shameless.

As regards the harmless retro fun aspect, I don't agree, basically the beeb wanted a proper old fashioned cop drama like you used to get but had to leaven it with a naughties politically correct copper in order to get away with the sexism, ageism, homophobia et al. They have dressed it up in such a way that we can all feel good about ourselves now and feel smug about how far we have progressed since 1973/4.

If you really want to show good cutting edge drama why not just show the original shows and make it clear that these are repeats of some classic tele?

As the man said "The past is a foriegn country, they do things differently there..."
  • Options
    I find Life On Mars enjoyable viewing maybe partly because there is so little else worth watching on TV.

I think they catch the period quite well on the whole. Yes, you can nitpick about the script, for example the phrase "tough call" as spoken by Harry Wolfe and Gene Hunt was not used in the seventies and is decidedly modern. On the other hand the scene with the black officer when he arrived and met his colleagues was very realistic. Black people were treated like that in the seventies. I'm not saying it was right but it happened. You cannot rewrite history.

It's not Shakespeare but it is entertaining and good fun. I for one also want to know who is on the end of the phone!
  • Options
    i for one want to know if the switchboard operator (you had to go through them to get an outside line at work or receive a call in those days) could tell the number of the party ringing in...come on you old gpo boys, would they have been able to tell ?
  • Options
    and didn't we all have the big round collars in 1973 ?...they all look like they've got pointed collars...mind you it is set in manchester so they would have been a couple of years behind london...
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I find Life On Mars enjoyable viewing maybe partly because there is so little else worth watching on TV.

I think they catch the period quite well on the whole. Yes, you can nitpick about the script, for example the phrase "tough call" as spoken by Harry Wolfe and Gene Hunt was not used in the seventies and is decidedly modern. On the other hand the scene with the black officer when he arrived and met his colleagues was very realistic. Black people were treated like that in the seventies. I'm not saying it was right but it happened. You cannot rewrite history.

I agree Len especially the point about there being bugger all else on however if you are going to show the current generation how it used to be then just do it warts and all. I just think that other programmes do it better, for example New Tricks, 3 aging coppers reopening cases from the seventies with all their prejudices intact in the here and now. Also NT has a truly great cast James Bolam, Alun Armstrong and Dennis Waterman who is basically George Carter 30+ years on. Shame John Thaw died, an elderly Regan added to the mix could have made a great programme