Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs my dad used

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related
My dad passed away a few years ago and I'm trying to get a picture of a part of his life that I wasn't involved in: Pubs.

He was a regular at these pubs down the years:

The Running Horses - Erith. Late seventies / Early eighties.

Halfway House -  Belvedere. Late seventies / Early noughties.

The World (?) - Plumstead. Nineties

Cutty Sark - Thamesmead. Late Eighties / Nineties.

Would like a taste of the atmosphere from these dates from anyone who used to frequent them.

On the unlikely chance that anyone was a regular. My dad was called Pete and basically looked like Brutus from Popeye. He was a Charlton fan (and if he did ever go to any games it would have been in the Sixties). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Remember the Running Horses from the 70's - that was the one by the swimming baths I think.
    Can't say I was a regular, but it was the first pub that I remember playing the 'new' gaming machine "space invaders".
    There were (are?) a couple of other pubs on that stretch of lower road between Erith and Belvedere and occasionally used to do a crawl along that way back to Abbey Wood taking in the Leather Bottle and the Harrow Inn.
    Those pubs in the  lower road always felt a bit run down and Dickensian
  • Options
    Yorkshire Grey Eltham - Long Life beer.  NOW A FUCKING MCDONALDS !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Wasn't the Plumstead one called the Two Worlds/Planets or something similar?
  • Options
    My dad passed away a few years ago and I'm trying to get a picture of a part of his life that I wasn't involved in: Pubs.

He was a regular at these pubs down the years:

The Running Horses - Erith. Late seventies / Early eighties.

Halfway House -  Belvedere. Late seventies / Early noughties.

Cutty Sark - Thamesmead. Late Eighties / Nineties.

Would like a taste of the atmosphere from these dates from anyone who used to frequent them.

On the unlikely chance that anyone was a regular. My dad was called Pete and basically looked like Brutus from Popeye. He was a Charlton fan (and if he did ever go to any games it would have been in the Sixties). Thanks.
    Could the Plumstead pub you're unsure of have been the Who'd a Thought It?
  • Options
    The Cutty was a good boozer when Peter had it not sure he had it in the 90z tho
  • Options
    The Cutty was a good boozer when Peter had it not sure he had it in the 90z tho

Didn't Andy Fordham the BDO darts player have The Cutty Sark for a while?.

Don't know what it was like in the 90's, but its pretty grim nowadays.

• Options
    Went to the Cutty Sark a lot in the early nineties (one of the first pubs I went to regularly as I was only a lad then). Was a great boozer, but became a bit grotty around 96/97. Quite a good mix - youngsters, geezers, old blokes - had a proper eclectic class mixture as well with some posh Greenwich types as well as the scum (like me!). Not been in there for about 15 years now and have no idea if it even still exists.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yorkshire Grey Eltham - Long Life beer.  NOW A FUCKING MCDONALDS !!!!!!!!!!
    served my drinking apprenticeship in the grey during the 80's.
  • Options

The two worlds, used to be the green man, many moons ago.

• Options
    Used to play football with Andy Fordham in the early 80s .....for Union 97 in the Woolwich & District League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Oggy Red pls tell me he was a goal keeper!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, Adam, he was a central midfielder ....... and not carrying too much weight, although he well liked a beer.Useful footballer.

Hope he's made a full recovery now.
  • Options
    yep it was the two worlds.

• Options
    Roses (Plaisteds) in Woolwich
    The British Oak at The Standard
    The Village Blacksmith
  • Options
    The Harrow, is that the one on Northend Road? Was my first pub that.
  • Options
    Went to the Cutty Sark a lot in the early nineties (one of the first pubs I went to regularly as I was only a lad then). Was a great boozer, but became a bit grotty around 96/97. Quite a good mix - youngsters, geezers, old blokes - had a proper eclectic class mixture as well with some posh Greenwich types as well as the scum (like me!). Not been in there for about 15 years now and have no idea if it even still exists.

It's still there - I've not been in for some time so I've no idea who runs it/how good (or bad) it is.

• Options
    Pretty sure there was a murder in or outside the Cutty Sark a couple of years ago. I think it was a Spurs fan who got stabbed and the tabloids tried to make it football related.

Used to take my daughter for swimming lessons at Thamesmead and the Sark looked grim as anything when I walked past.
  • Options
    The Uplands and The Half Moon - amongst many
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My old man used to frequent The Old Mill in Plumstead and the working mans club on the lower road. He was known to everyone as spud . I remember many a time as a kid in 70's in the pub garden with a packet of crisps and a coke while he was inside drinking the pub dry . Sadly he died aged 48 over 15 years ago thanks to his drinking
  • Options
    I think you maybe mean the "Who'd a thought it" in Garland Road Plumstead or the North Star at the corner of of what was once Palmerston Crescent at the top of the hollow.

I have a list of all the pubs in Woolwich and Plumstead from i think 1856. If i can find it and have the time and energy to type out over 100 pubs i will post it on another thread.

Earl of Chatham Woolwich is where i was an apprentice piss artist and barman. Now many years later i am a master piss artist that can down a pint or two but i always know when i have had enough because i fall over   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a very young boy in the early 60's my dad and his chums would drink in the Perseverence on the fringes of Woolwich/Plumstead (they called it The Percy) while I was sat outside with the obligatory packet of crisps (the salt twisted in a little blue bit of paper) and an orange juice.
  • Options
    I think you maybe mean the "Who'd a thought it" in Garland Road Plumstead or the North Star at the corner of of what was once Palmerston Crescent at the top of the hollow.

I have a list of all the pubs in Woolwich and Plumstead from i think 1856. If i can find it and have the time and energy to type out over 100 pubs i will post it on another thread.

Earl of Chatham Woolwich is where i was an apprentice piss artist and barman. Now many years later i am a master piss artist that can down a pint or two but i always know when i have had enough because i fall over   
    Not a pub person but during my uni years the chatham was my regular friday night haunt. In fact its where I met my wife!
  • Options
    Remember the Running Horses from the 70's - that was the one by the swimming baths I think.
    Can't say I was a regular, but it was the first pub that I remember playing the 'new' gaming machine "space invaders".
    There were (are?) a couple of other pubs on that stretch of lower road between Erith and Belvedere and occasionally used to do a crawl along that way back to Abbey Wood taking in the Leather Bottle and the Harrow Inn.
    Those pubs in the  lower road always felt a bit run down and Dickensian
    I think the swimming baths are gone now. Used to love that place. These days they don't seem to do 'deep ends' in swimming pools.
  • Options
    My Plumstead drinking days were when I was working there in 84/5.We used to use the Lord Derby and the Rose and Crown mostly.Did on occasion do the Plumstead pub crawl,all eight pubs on the High Street.Lord Derby,Rose and Crown,The Volunteer,Plume of Feathers,Two Worlds,Prince of Orange,The Royal Standard and The Prince of Wales I think?  I would like a correct list of the pubs  if anyone can help?
  • Options
    My Plumstead drinking days were when I was working there in 84/5.We used to use the Lord Derby and the Rose and Crown mostly.Did on occasion do the Plumstead pub crawl,all eight pubs on the High Street.Lord Derby,Rose and Crown,The Volunteer,Plume of Feathers,Two Worlds,Prince of Orange,The Royal Standard and The Prince of Wales I think?  I would like a correct list of the pubs  if anyone can help?
    Prince of Wales is on the common, I think you might mean the red lion which was just along the road towards the fire station from the two worlds ( green man).
  • Options
    Thanks guinness.Is that now the eight that was on Plumstead High Street?
  • Options
    You also had the horse & groom (sports as it was called for a short while) across the road from the prince of orange.
  • Options
    After all the pub carnage in this recession, how many still there and trading today?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After all the pub carnage in this recession, how many still there and trading today?
    Two worlds, volunteer, prince of orange and the plume, I think.
    The derby, crown and the red lion are fast food / resturants and the horse and groom is a church, just like the one in charlton.
  • Options
    Was the Derby where Arsenal fc were formed? Or is that an urban myth?