Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs my dad used

2»

Comments

• Options
    My dads local for many many years was The Dover Patrol.  Also the pub in which we had our first beer together.
  • Options
    Was the Derby where Arsenal fc were formed? Or is that an urban myth?
    That was the Royal Oak on Woolwich New Road just before the station - it was renamed as The Pullman and felled when they did the DLR extension.
  • Options
    Remember the Running Horses from the 70's - that was the one by the swimming baths I think.
    Can't say I was a regular, but it was the first pub that I remember playing the 'new' gaming machine "space invaders".
    There were (are?) a couple of other pubs on that stretch of lower road between Erith and Belvedere and occasionally used to do a crawl along that way back to Abbey Wood taking in the Leather Bottle and the Harrow Inn.
    Those pubs in the  lower road always felt a bit run down and Dickensian
    I think the swimming baths are gone now. Used to love that place. These days they don't seem to do 'deep ends' in swimming pools.
    Aah, the old municipal baths.
    Didn't go the Erith baths very often; as a kid in Abbey Wood we always went to Plumstead Baths.
    Never forget the old high diving platform (no bombing - yeah right!)
    Also the sub- Arctic temperature in the bogs - sometimes it was too cold to p1ss and you couldn't wait to get back in the baths.
    "Individual" changing rooms all around the pool with a modesty curtain - none of this communal changing.
    You took a shower with your trunks on - anyone who dropped their trunks in them days would have been laughed at and/or arrested.
    Bag of golden wonder smokey bacon, a wagon wheel and a bovril in the caff afterwards
    Memories.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Was the Derby where Arsenal fc were formed? Or is that an urban myth?
    That was the Royal Oak on Woolwich New Road just before the station - it was renamed as The Pullman and felled when they did the DLR extension.

I too was felled coming out of there in about 1978. They weren't the friendliest bunch.
  • Options
    I had a skirmish there aswell,not suprising from what Ive heard here lol!!
  • Options
    Went to Abbey Wood school in the 70's. I know all the boozers your talking about. Spent a fair bit of time in them myself. But my old man would not give these places time of day. He loved a booze but couldn't stand the halfwits that drank in them. And after all these years I now know he was spot on. But I still can't help having a soft spot for the Marshman and the Wagtail. Sh!tholes but they were our sh!tholes.     
  • Options
    Goonerhater - Pretty sure Peter (rip) had it about from about 96 onwards.
    Clem - It wasn't a spurs fan, Without going into detail it was a cafc fan who was caught up in something and sadly passed away.

Whoever mentioned Plume Of Feathers, that is more of a posh pub in Greenwich I think now.
  • Options
    There are two plumes in the borough oh Greenwich, one next to Greenwich Park and the other at the end of Plumstead High St towards Wickham Lane. The second one is where Dave Martin played his football before turning pro.
  • Options

The Plume of Feathers in Plumstead is reputedly where Dick Turpin drank, it's that old.

The Two Worlds has been called O'Dowds for quite a few years now.

• Options

Goonerhater - Pretty sure Peter (rip) had it about from about 96 onwards. Clem - It wasn't a spurs fan, Without going into detail it was a cafc fan who was caught up in something and sadly passed away. Whoever mentioned Plume Of Feathers, that is more of a posh pub in Greenwich I think now.

Peter had it mid to late 90's until he died xmas eve 2006. Andy Fordham took over shortly afterwards, Martin (who owned it) asked him initially as a temporary measure (he also owned Andys pub in Plumstead that he ran for years) , but he ended up staying until Martin sold the Abbeymead club and took it over himself about 2 years ago.

Very much a locals pub, used to be very Charlton/Millwall/Glasgow Rangers orientated, not been in for a while though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Boatman - the Marshman (Bracondale Road) has gone now.

Two Worlds / O'Dowds - wouldn't go near the place after the landlord made a false accusation against a mate a good few years ago.  Had to go through all sorts before proving he was a lying toe-rag!

Martin's done really well for himself since having the Elephant & Castle in Woolwich Market.  Knew the family then and my da did a few shifts in the Abbey Arms for him when he moved there later.

• Options
    The Harrow, is that the one on Northend Road? Was my first pub that.
    houses now
  • Options
    houses now

And the style & winch is now  Tesco express

• Options
    edited December 2011
    John Rooke, long time Charlton supporter, has an interesting collection of photos on Facebook 

• Options

The Plume of Feathers in Plumstead is reputedly where Dick Turpin drank, it's that old.

Lol!

• Options
    John Rooke, long time Charlton supporter, has an interesting collection of photos

The link doesn't appear to work.

It may work for those who belong to facebook I guess.

• Options
    Sorry Len, I think you may be correct, only viewable from Facebook.
  • Options
    houses now

I have very fond memories of the Harrow-
    We Used to drink the slops left on the wall outside on the way from school!
    Until we looked old enough to go in.
    Where was the style and winch?
  • Options
    My dads local for many many years was The Dover Patrol.  Also the pub in which we had our first beer together.
    Remember the beer garden as a child.
  • Options
    houses now

I have very fond memories of the Harrow- We Used to drink the slops left on the wall outside on the way from school! Until we looked old enough to go in. Where was the style and winch?

also on northend rd up by the mini r/bout & near the Larner estate, full of lunatics.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I used to play darts for The Cutty Sark 89-93.

Pub was ok compared to most around Thamesmead.

Think it became a Rangers pub soon after that period.

• Options

Queens Park?

I don't see how a South London pub becomes a Glasgow Rangers pub. I think you mean a Unionist/Loyalist pub.

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2011

Queens Park?

I don't see how a South London pub becomes a Glasgow Rangers pub. I think you mean a Unionist/Loyalist pub.

No, the Landlord (Peter) was a Rangers season ticket holder, and had memoribillia of Rangers, Charlton, Millwall, and England in the pub. It also became the home of South East London Loyal Supporters Club (registered with Rangers FC), which had exiled Rangers fans and London based Rangers fans as members (50-60 on average) who met to watch the games on Setanta etc. There is a similar supporters club for Celtic  that used to run out of the Woolwich Catholic club. There are similar clubs and pubs up & down the country for both teams.