Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

El Classico

Comments

• Options
    On the state of English Footie:  The quicker the FA organises kids 7, 8 or 9 a side football on intermediate sized pitches the better.  At the moment they go from mini soccer to 11 a side on full-sized pitches over the space of one summer and it's just too much for them physically.  They need a good 2-3 years to make this change and they're not getting it.   

On Madrid v Barcelona:  What's all this "El Classico" nonsense?  It sounds like we've swallowed some tv marketing spin there; just the sort of weasil words that tv companies here would use to describe a golf race or a horse match when they're trying to convince you that you really should interested.  Do Spanish fans really go around talking about, "El Classico"?  I bet fans of Atlético de Madrid and Espanyol don't.
  • Options
    Well a number of years ago the FA tried to ban 11-a-side for all under 11s, and move the focus to small sided game where players could concentrate on developing skills, rather than just running about.

All the junior leagues were up in arms about it, and I seem to remember the Mercury running a campaign to stop the new rule coming in.

Obviously the idiots won, so you can still find 10 years old playing on full size pitches with the kid who happens to have developed physically the fastest dominating the game. I remember a few years back (around 2004/5) I was playing at what is now NW Kent college in Wilmington, on the pitch next to our was a kids game. One kids was a clear foot taller than the rest and that team's tactic seemed to be to give him the ball and watch him walk through the opposition.
  • Options
    classico Real Madrid got mucho mucho stuffedio ... Barcelona mullered 'em
  • Options
    On the state of English Footie:  The quicker the FA organises kids 7, 8 or 9 a side football on intermediate sized pitches the better.  At the moment they go from mini soccer to 11 a side on full-sized pitches over the space of one summer and it's just too much for them physically.  They need a good 2-3 years to make this change and they're not getting it.   

On Madrid v Barcelona:  What's all this "El Classico" nonsense?  It sounds like we've swallowed some tv marketing spin there; just the sort of weasil words that tv companies here would use to describe a golf race or a horse match when they're trying to convince you that you really should interested.  Do Spanish fans really go around talking about, "El Classico"?  I bet fans of Atlético de Madrid and Espanyol don't.
    As to your last point, when Sky started flogging "La Liga" I'm pretty sure it was marketed as "(La ?)Primiera Liga", has it actually changed name at some point or have Sky just decided that we should call it something different ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

With regards to  'El Classico' the spanish do call it that. Ive lived in Spain for a year now and the way football is taught here from a young age is something ive not seen in the UK. First thing is that until you reach infantil (u11) you play with a 'futsal' or a football sala. This is a heavier football which encourages more feel for the ball and helps with the first touch as it does not bounce straight off your foot. This coinsides with 5 aside football which promotes passing and moving. Now im no expert and maybe they do similar things in the UK but the spanish kids leagues are played on astroturf. Thereofre you get no 'dodgy' bounce, so by the time they get to u12's their ball mastery skills are excellent.

• Options
    Anyone who even seriously doubts that English coaching methods are light years behind Dutch, Spanish, French and even Italian ones needs only to go to any park on a Sunday morning where kids' football is played. It will be full of puce-faced fat blokes screaming abuse at children under the age of ten, exhorting them to 'GET INTO 'IM', 'KICK 'IM UP IN THE AIR' and berating them for 'LETTIN' 'IM DO THAT TO YA'. And that's just the coaches - not even starting with the parents. There will be about 45 seconds of 'football' played - and any even kid even remotely talented with the ball at his feet will be battered to bits before he heven has a chance to look up and play a pass. The 'game' will be played on a full-size pitch (despite most of the kids needing about 30 seconds to run from one end of it to the other) with a full size ball that most of them can punt about ten yards forward at full strength. The 'officiating' will invariably be shared between the parents of each side, thus teaching the children that cheating is rife as one dodgy offside/foul/penalty after another is given/not given.

I stopped going to watch my nephew's team (who are very good and walking their league) because it just became too depressing to watch.
    I'm 12 and ginger and I've seen first hand how depressing it is to play. Some Sundays I can't be bothered to get up for football. The coaches shout at you lots and it gets confusing when there are four or five people (Coaches and Parents) shouting different things at you.
  • Options
    This is England ... 2011 .. have a nice day
  • Options
    Thanks very much for confirming that ChiAddick.  I'm glad to hear that it's not just a case of us Brits being mugged-off with some fake version of Spanish culture, the cynical side of me still can't help but think it sounds contrived though ;-)
  • Options
    They are very much 'up themselves though'. Ronaldo was quoted as saying 'this is the only game in the world worth watching'. Mourinho said ' there is no other derby'. I am very much a fan of Spanish football but since winning the world cup the spanish do seem to be very arrogant.
  • Options
    They are very much 'up themselves though'. Ronaldo was quoted as saying 'this is the only game in the world worth watching'. Mourinho said ' there is no other derby'. I am very much a fan of Spanish football but since winning the world cup the spanish do seem to be very arrogant.
    but England beat em  ... and the Spanish showed some of their nasty side .. the old Chelsea dagger or 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Copa Del Rey match tonight , first leg

some of the play acting is beyond pathetic the ref's haven't got a chance
    1-1 atm
  • Options
    1-2 to barca

another lesson being handed out
  • Options
    To be fair, Real looked by far the better team 1st half...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Puyol and Abidal with the goals for Barca to make it 2-1. Hope it stays that way.
    Real Madrid's Pepe is a disgrace and an embarrassment. Horrible cheating scumbag.
  • Options
    Can't single out Pepe in this game, Dani Alves, Busquets, Ronaldo, Mascherano, Benzema all dive and roll about clutching their faces like they just got shot with acid, really detracts from the rest of the game
  • Options
    you cant put benzema in that list, he's one of us.
  • Options
    Fair enough regarding all those - but yes I think you can single him out. Whatever anyone else did, his antics were exponentially worse. Particularly the fake face injury and the stamp on the hand.
    Having said that, I just think it's a crying shame that a game with so much talent on show displays such disregard for sportsmanship (from so many of those involved).
    Ah well.
  • Options
    Some bloke called 4737 Carlin told me at half time (Real Madrid 1 Barcelona 0) I could have got 5/1 on Barca winning. Wish I'd listened to him.
  • Options
    Real Madrid 5 points clear in the league. I think they'll win the league which would be a massive achievement for Mourinho.
  • Options
    copa del rey second leg:
    2-0 to barca.
    two great goals.
    madrid started well and could of had a penalty. had a lot of chances.
    as always its heating up a bit. loads of play acting. barca players yelling at the ref to send diarra off. though he should of been given a second yellow i cant understand why these talented players have to go to such pathetic lengths to get a player sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    that was a deffo yellow for diarras challenge can't believe he didn't give it

what a strike by alves
  • Options
    Ramos and Pepe have been a complete disgrace in this match.
  • Options
    yeah they're trying to out helmet each other
  • Options
    Its never nice to see however winning at all costs is what its about, I hate to say it but maybe our national team could have done better in tournaments if we were prepared to dive, feign injury, hassle the ref etc.

Having said that some of the players and talents on show here are a joy to watch
  • Options
    Game on now...two quick goals from Madrid to level on the night.
  • Options
    BENZAMA!!!! looks like we have a game on thanks to our fellow charlton supporter.
    pepe shouldent even be playing. how the spanish fa think that pepes stamp on messi last week was an accident i dont know.
  • Options
    18 mins left 4-3 to barca on aggregate but one goal from madrid gets them thru on away goals
  • Options
    Are national team does cheat in the same way that most nations do, especially certain players, still remember the Crouch winner against Trinidad & Tobago.
  • Options
    Cracking game this one...
  • Options
    colthe3rd- maybe, but its never sat comfotably with me all this wining at all costs. i would rather win fairly but it seems to be the norm to cheat and use unsporting tactics.