Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AZ Alkmaar keeper sent off for self defence against fan

What's everyone's take on this keeper being sent off? I think the keeper may have gotten away with first kick, but after the nice couple in the shin and ribs....just a tad over the top. I love the first Bruce Lee style kick - Hayy Yahh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJJRc1CN1U

Comments

• I've got to say, the BBC left a few gaping holes in their report of this!  I think he had every right to go back and kick him, but to kick him twice more when he was on the ground is a little much.
    Even so, the GK should have the right to carry out his job without fear of attack.  I don't blame him for retaliating at all.
  • completely takes away any power from his kick

if the fan was a ball he wouldnt have got out the penalty area and would have had to retake the goal kick.

• Do we know what the Referee actually sent him off for ?
  • In what way is that a sending off, how is the referee gonna write that one up?
  • Violent conduct, I think
  • By the rules of the game it is a sending off, the ref had no choice, however the fan was about to do a real coward's attack and the keeper is lucky he noticed and remember the player that was only recently attacked like that, he suffered severe facial injuries.  Not saying the goalkeeper is a saint but about 75% of people would react like that, for my part I would have legged it.  It could prove to be a very interesting few weeks with AZ refusing to play on
  • To be fair it is a way OTT reaction and I'm unsure if the fan was even going for the keeper!
  • What a legend
  • I'm thinking that since the supporter was not part of the game, and therefore not under the Referees jurisdiction, it should have been the Police who took action.
  • To be fair it is a way OTT reaction and I'm unsure if the fan was even going for the keeper!
    It doesn't show it on the video very well, but I'd read that the fan kicked him first.
  • Sponsored links:

• According to the laws of the game it was violent conduct and the ref had no option but to send him off. Obviously something needs to be done to bring common sense back. Imagine, the opposition keeper is having a blinder, a supporter runs onto the pitch, attacks the keeper and he retaliates and ends up with a red card. Pretty ridiculous really.
    People in whatever job they do should be able to do it without fear of assault (except Old Bill).
    Nog een gezellige avond in Amsterdam !..... Another nice evening in Amsterdam.
  • edited December 2011

Red Card - and he will be lucky if he does not get a summons for assault -- his reaction was vioilent -and he would still be kicking him now if the players had not stopped him. If he is allowed to get away with it --players can then start bashing every supporter that calls a wan*er or a C*nt when he goes to pick the ball up near the crowd - and you have all heard the abuse aimed at players when they go get the ball...........

Remember when carragher threw the coin back at the Crowd .............

• Thought that was Carragher?

• Thought that was Carragher?

Thought that was Carragher? 

Of course ammended

• Everyone was right. The ref was right to show red - it was violent conduct. The GK was right to retaliate in self defence (which at first it was) - he was pumped with adrenaline and was about to get attacked. The manager was right to get his players off the pitch - why should he risk their health and safety for football?

The keeper was obviously disturbed by it. His reaction when going down the tunnel said it all.
  • I would have retaliated if I was the keeper and If I was the ref I would've sent the keeper off. 

Tricky one.
  • I'm thinking that since the supporter was not part of the game, and therefore not under the Referees jurisdiction, it should have been the Police who took action.
    Exactly.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking that since the supporter was not part of the game, and therefore not under the Referees jurisdiction, it should have been the Police who took action.
    Exactly.

The goalkeeper was under the referees juristriction and he acted in a violent manner. Red card. It doesn't matter who the act was committed against. I don't agree it's right, but them are the rules laws of the game.

ps, it was hardly self defence was it?

• Everyone was right. The ref was right to show red - it was violent conduct. The GK was right to retaliate in self defence (which at first it was) - he was pumped with adrenaline and was about to get attacked. The manager was right to get his players off the pitch - why should he risk their health and safety for football?

The keeper was obviously disturbed by it. His reaction when going down the tunnel said it all.

Should not have taken team off the pitch ............the risk was gone --the invader taken away by the police and the keeper rightly red carded.

What they have done is started a precedence for every team that has a player sent off --and the manager does not agreee --talke the team of the picth....f*ck it we are not playing

They should be fined and have game awarded against them ...

• ps, it was hardly self defence was it?
    He didn't start it did he? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Red Card - and he will be lucky if he does not get a summons for assault -- his reaction was vioilent -and he would still be kicking him now if the players had not stopped him. If he is allowed to get away with it --players can then start bashing every supporter that calls a wan*er or a C*nt when he goes to pick the ball up near the crowd - and you have all heard the abuse aimed at players when they go get the ball...........

Remember when carragher threw the coin back at the Crowd .............

Its reasonable force and sometimes reasonable force equates to violence, dunno about Dutch Law but in the UK the keeper can and should claim that he did not know if the attacking fan had a knife so acted accordingly. The keeper was doing his job and was attacked from behind for no reason, so reasonable force can be knocking him down with whatever means he feels justified in using. He will have to justify his actions should he be charged. Maybe the last kick was unnecessary. The law would not agree with your assessment saying he would still be kicking him now if he was not stopped by the other, this is just subjective. The law of the land covers all parts of the country even football pitches. If he is not charged it will not open the floodgates for all footballers to start belting fans and he should not be charged.

Should not have taken team off the pitch ............the risk was gone --the invader taken away by the police and the keeper rightly red carded.

What they have done is started a precedence for every team that has a player sent off --and the manager does not agreee --talke the team of the picth....f*ck it we are not playing

They should be fined and have game awarded against them ...

Your opinion. Mine differs.
  • The goalkeeper practically lowered himself to the mindset of the fan - violence. Defend himself, the first kick OK as he turned round and was attacked, but then move away, obviosuly not educated that these things can happen, especially to keepers. This keeper obvioulsy had a short fuse, he must be half Maltese
  • edited December 2011
    The Keeper was absolutely right to do what he did.

What if this idiot had a knife?
    What if he got up and started fighting him ?

It was pure self defence to keep the moron on the floor and i would have done the same.

I cant believe people are saying he was wrong and OTT . What was he supposed to do. stand back and let him get up?

Well done the keeper and well done to the manager for walking off. 

• The Keeper was abslutely right to do what he did.

What if this idiot had a knife?
    What if he got up and started fighting him ?

It was pure self defence to keep the moron on the floor and i would have done the same.

I cant believe people are saying he was wrong and OTT . What was he supposed to do. stand back and let him get up?

Well done the keeper and well done to the manager for walking off. 

I totally agree.
  • edited December 2011
    He was doing a sight more than defending himself.
    He was doing a sight more than defending himself.
    Defending oneself (self defense) ends when you consider the aggressor to be no more of a threat. But as my earlier post it has to be reasonable force and the keeper would be justified in trying to keep the attacker on the floor if, even more so if he said that he was not sure if the attacker was armed. Interestingly the Police are now looking at preemptive striking (slapping) and kicking (shins) as an addition to the small amount of self defence they learn in basic training. But as the rest of UK citizens they will have to justify striking someone.
  • Fascinating footage.
  • edited December 2011

think people need to watch the video again.

Considering the goalkeeper is a pro footballer, you would imagine his kicks would be alot more powerful....his two to the guys body looked like they tickled the bloke not hurt him.

looks more annoying rather than an assault.