Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AZ Alkmaar keeper sent off for self defence against fan

Comments

• Options

Can't believe what I'm reading here. Someone runs on to attack you and most of you want to aim one kick & then do a runner?

Middle of a football match, adrenalin pumping, you get attacked, you don't always react rationally, he's been provoked, should've let him get another shot in.

• Options
    Keeper has just had his red card  overturned by the KNVB. Still no decision on the outcome of the game.
  • Options
    Also, the "fan" who attacked the keeper was banned earlier this year for 3 years for attacking a steward. And we think we have football related problems here?
  • Options
    The Keeper was abslutely right to do what he did.

What if this idiot had a knife?

What if he got up and started fighting him ?

It was pure self defence to keep the moron on the floor and i would have done the same.

I cant believe people are saying he was wrong and OTT . What was he supposed to do. stand back and let him get up?

Well done the keeper and well done to the manager for walking off. 

I totally agree.
    Ditto. Or is the correct terminology 'This'?
  • Options

Can't believe what I'm reading here. Someone runs on to attack you and most of you want to aim one kick & then do a runner?

Middle of a football match, adrenalin pumping, you get attacked, you don't always react rationally, he's been provoked, should've let him get another shot in.

Not often I agree with a spanner but some people on here need to have a reality check.

• Options
    Ok watched the BBC coverage 
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16300956.stm  
    The keeper sees the guy with about a second to go until he is kicked.  He sends him to the ground and as the fan is trying to kick out from the ground the keeper places to defensive kicks to stop those kicks from connecting.  He then backs away slowly making sure he is safe when the steward arrives.
    Is rightly (in my mind) very angry with what has happened and clearly he tries to attack the ref after he is sent off. 

That is my take on it having watched from some different angles 

No way would a court convict anyone in the UK for what is clearly self defence.  Also as this is (again my take) self defence why was he Red Carded as it was not violent.  

• Options
    Listen guys, none of you can say with all honesty just what you'd have done if you were the keeper.You're being attacked and the red mist comes down (which can quite literally happen to the mildest natured of folk......I've seen it more than once I can assure you), a fight is a fight and anything can and often does happen. There aren't many rules when you're in the middle of a ruck, it's you or the other guy.
  • Options

spot on
  • Options
    My old man always said if anyone hits ya for no reason hit them back then hit em again. Well done Goal keeper.
  • Options

spot on
    Absolutely spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There seems to be a lack of awareness of the rules.  If one player punches another who then retaliates it's still a red card, no matter whether fans imagine that it is justified or not.  Same rules apply.  All this stuff about adrenaline is neither here nor there. 

"Any player, whether he is within or outside the
    field of play, whose conduct is ungentlemanly or violent,
    whether or not it is directed towards an opponent, a
    colleague, the referee, a linesman or other person,"

Trust me there's nothing that I like better than some hardman getting his arse handed to him by a party that he thought would never dare to fight back.  Good decision by the ref and good decision by the Dutch FA who obviously applied some common sense.
  • Options

What the keeper done was in self0defence,now appears Ajax (FAN) was already banned from the ground for 2years about 6months ago.Red card for keeper

now incorrect and the KNVB dutch fa  looking into what to do next re match.How about closing the ground down for afew matches and awarding the tie tooAZ for starters.

• Options
    The keeper wasn't sent off for kicking the fan when he attacked him, but for kicking him on the ground.
  • Options
    The red card been revoked, whether the game gets replayed is another thing
  • Options
    To be fair it is a way OTT reaction and I'm unsure if the fan was even going for the keeper!
    It doesn't show it on the video very well, but I'd read that the fan kicked him first.
    Ah ok still OTT but then again...
  • Options
    But why were the GK and  ref wearing the same shirt? That'd annoy me.
  • Options

spot on
    Absolutely spot on

Spot spot on!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The keeper had every right to kick him again not knowing if the fan was armed or not....if you run on the pitch and attack someone you are fair game...glad they overturned the ridiculous red card

• Options
    Can't believe how many are saying the GK went OTT! If I was standing there, turned around to see some twat skinhead thug in mid-air coming towards me, I'd also lay the boot in. I'd probably still be kicking him now.

Felt sorry for the ref. In these situations, he's left with no other option but to send him off as stated in the laws of the game. The ref is not there to decide which rules he follows but to enforce them all fairly, blah blah...............
    Same as the clip a few months ago when the player tackled a streaker. Ref had to send him off.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15948776

• Options
    Charlton fans - is it any wonder we have a reputation for being ridiculously sensitive and uptight?

Red card has since been rescinded and that should tell you everything you need to know about the goalie and his "OTT" actions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should have kicked him more he has no right to attack him
  • Options

spot on
    Absolutely spot on

Spot spot on!
    Frontline spot on kills fleas fast.
  • Options
    Can't believe how many are saying the GK went OTT! If I was standing there, turned around to see some twat skinhead thug in mid-air coming towards me, I'd also lay the boot in. I'd probably still be kicking him now

There is a big difference between self defence and aggravated assault.

Kicking him once - Self defence

Continuing to kick him when he's on the floor - Assault

Still trying to get at the bloke whilst he's being carried away - plain stupid.
  • Options
    Can't believe how many are saying the GK went OTT! If I was standing there, turned around to see some twat skinhead thug in mid-air coming towards me, I'd also lay the boot in. I'd probably still be kicking him now

You're right there is a difference, but in this case it was self defence all the way! I think some on here should really get an understanding on what self defence actually means.
  • Options

if the goalkeepr had been a policemen being attacked and acting like that , would we have been as sympathetic

as said above not happy with keeper and ref in the same jersey

what was the score in the game when this happened and how long gone/left

• Options

Unless of course he could reasonably believe the man to still be a threat.
  • Options
    I think the cancelling the red card was correct the keeper had no idea what the guy was going to do and acted in a way that most people would i.e. get the bastard down and keep him there.
  • Options

There is a big difference between self defence and aggravated assault. Kicking him once - Self defence Continuing to kick him when he's on the floor - Assault Still trying to get at the bloke whilst he's being carried away - plain stupid.

Once someone is down, make sure they are staying down & not getting up again to attack you. See no reason why the keeper isn't within his right to make sure the attacker wasn't getting back up to have another go.

You can see how on edge he was because when out of the corner of his eye he see's that steward/official running on he turns to defend himself from him as well before realising he's not an attacker. Your heart is off the charts, body is like jelly, your disorientated, adrenalin pumping, everything is a blur...you don't think rationally, you go into fight or flight mode, react instinctively and do whatever you need to do.

• Options
    He only actually kicked him twice and stopped as soon as the other guy (steward?) jumped on him.  I honestly don't know what I would have done in those circumstances, and I'm surprised that so many people here are so certain of their likely reactions, but considering it was an unprovoked attack from behind, I'd say he was pretty restrained.

As for what the law is on retaliation and self-defence, it doesn't matter what the law is here, it's what it is in Holland that counts.