Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best 11 - Combined Charlton / Millwall / Palace team - since 1985

Not trying to kill the other thread but just wondering how far out i am if you had to pick a 442 team to play (based on players ability when playing for one of the 3 clubs, not before or after). Should be a team that could function as one, not just 11 best players.

Martyn (CP), Humphreys (CHA), Rufus (CHA), Southgate (CP), Powell (CHA), Lee (CHA) Parker (CHA) Jensen (CHA) , Lombardo (CP) Wright (CP) Bright (CHA / CP).

Comments

• Going to struggle to get many, if any more Millwall players into that!

Weak links are surely Young & Costa, unless I've missed out on how good Costa was?

I'm sure you can do better than Jensen & Lee too..somehow. 

• Kiely (CHA) Humphrey (CHA) Reid, Mark (CHA), Cascarino (ML)
  • Cahill ?
  • I suspect Palace fans would lobby hard for Coleman &/or Southgate ahead of Costa
  • Paul Williams (CHA/CP)
  • Cahill ?

Don't see how Cahill at the time he was with Millwall would push out Bowyer or Parker....although was Bowyers best years with Leeds?

Could have the more defensive minded Parker alongside Cahill.

3 good keepers in Kiely, Keller and Martyn...thinking about it I'd probably go with Keller.

• Have updated with Southgate replacing Costa which is a fair shout - forgot about him and i don't knbow enough about Costa to dispute it although i'm sure in his prime he must have been good. Not sure any other suggestions would get in although maybe Di Canio should be in there although its probably him or Sheringham if you were pickinga side. Maybe Young could be replaced but who with? Was Mark Reid better - not convinced. Ben Thatcher in his prime? Danny Mills possibly or was he left back?Who did Palace have at right back? 

• Cahill ?

Don't see how Cahill at the time he was with Millwall would push out Bowyer or Parker....although was Bowyers best years with Leeds?

3 good keepers in Kiely, Keller and Martyn...thinking about it I'd probably go with Keller.

No, what i'm saying is - as long as they played for one of the 3 clubs, it doesn't matter so i guess on that basis John Barnes should be in so no, i reverse that decision - ability whilst playing for one of the 3, not before or after it has to be so i think i'll ditch Sheringham for Bent.
  • Scott Minto??!! Left back
  • edited December 2011
    Scott Minto??!! Left back
    Better than Powell and Konchesky though or Mills? Not sure but decent shout. Think Powell edges it, particularly as based on ability whilst at our clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2011
    Scott Minto??!! Left back
    Better than Powell and Konchesky though or Mills? Not sure but decent shout. Think Powell edges it, particularly as based on ability whilst at our clubs
    Agreed - SCP did get 5 caps, don't think Minto got any at Full level, Mills was Right back
  • Young was an England International at Charlton. John Humphrey should have been and is the only possible competitor for Young IMHO if the criteria, as stated above,  is form whilst at the clubs. Mills went on to better things but not at Charlton.
  • I think I'd have Sheringham over Bent.
  • I've done combined teams on another thread but here is a current stab at it .

Charlton / Millwall

Nicky Johns , Harry Cripps  , Ben Thatcher , Therry Racon , Darren Ward , Alan McLeary , Tony Towner , Kevin Lisbie , Mark Bright , Phil Walker , Hameur Bouazza

Charlton / Palace

Thomas Myhre , John Humphrey , Chris Powell , Alan Pardew , Mark Hudson , Herman Hridersson , Darren Ambrose , Mike Flanagan , Mark Bright ,Paul Mortimer , John Salako

Millwall/Palace

John Jackson ,Paul Hinshelwood , Tony Craig , Andy Gray , Richard Shaw , Neil Ruddock ,Derek Possee ,Mark Bright ,Clive Allen , Ray Wilkins , Mark Kennedy

• Cahill ?

No, what i'm saying is - as long as they played for one of the 3 clubs, it doesn't matter so i guess on that basis John Barnes should be in so no, i reverse that decision - ability whilst playing for one of the 3, not before or after it has to be so i think i'll ditch Sheringham for Bent.

Leaves me with only the 1988-90 Division 1 Millwall team to choose from & they were cack in 89/90, so the one season wonder contenders would have to be Dawes, Hurlock, Briley, O'Callaghan, Cascarino & Sheringham.

Ian Wright was in his prime for Arsenal, so drop him out, stick with Tony & Teddy up front!

• I meant Cahill for his Everton days would be in with a shout.
  • Ian Wright was still good enough at Palace, hence his move to Arsenal where he hit the ground running. Sheringham blossomed more at Forest and became a top draw player at Spurs and Man Utd. Di Canio is probably more worth a shout.Think i'll swop him for Wright actually. 
  • Who was the Bald Eagle in the 90s, Lombardo?? He was a player to be fair.

Also Teddy Sheringham maybe?

I think a lot of Palace would probably prefer Speroni, he's a god to them.

Good thread

• Ian Wright was still good enough at Palace, hence his move to Arsenal where he hit the ground running. Sheringham blossomed more at Forest and became a top draw player at Spurs and Man Utd. Di Canio is probably more worth a shout.Think i'll swop him for Wright actually. 
    You'd take a guy who didn't score a single league goal for us apart from pens over someone who scored shed loads for Palace?
  • Millwall 03/04 had some decent players, so did 88/89

Mark Bright wouldn't be a bad shout either for us and Palarse

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2011

D Kiely - P Konchesky - R Rufus - G Southgate - L Young - C Jenson - S Parker - G Thomas - R Lee - D Bent - I Wright

• Who was the Bald Eagle in the 90s, Lombardo?? He was a player to be fair.

Also Teddy Sheringham maybe?

I think a lot of Palace would probably prefer Speroni, he's a god to them.

Good thread

I did think about Lombardo and Sheringham has been in but taken out on the basis that he was still learning his trade when at Millwall, as was Ian Wright whereas Bent and Di canio were finished articles. Overall careers you probably would have Sheringham, Wright and Lombardo in. I'm satisfied Di Canio was probably a better player when he played for us than Sheringham at Millwall - not sure i've got Bent over Wright correct though. Maybe even Bright and Wright?
    You'd take a guy who didn't score a single league goal for us apart from pens over someone who scored shed loads for Palace?
    It's about blending a team. Wright should go in but i'm gonna put him in with Bright actually.
  • I think Shirtliff should at least be on the bench even if it was his 2 goals in the 87 playoff vs Leeds
  • The untouchables seem to be:

Rufus

Southgate

Parker

Jenson

Wright

The team from the 01/02 season were better than the 03/04.

Cahill & Sadlier had cracking seasons. But seeing as that wasn't the Premiership I don't think they could be considered really.

• I think Shirtliff should at least be on the bench even if it was his 2 goals in the 87 playoff vs Leeds
    better than Rufus and Southgate though? Head over heart remember.
  • edited December 2011
    Cahill maybe should go in ahead of Lee who really blossomed at the top level after he left us but so did Cahill after he left you so just going to say Lee as fits in team better. Who was your defendser who  went to blackburn and west ham? Lucas Neil? was he a right back Sparrows?

The team from the 01/02 season were better than the 03/04.

Cahill & Sadlier had cracking seasons. But seeing as that wasn't the Premiership I don't think they could be considered really.

One of my mates still wears his Green Millwall shirt with Sadlier on the back lol
  • edited December 2011
    Gone for Geoff Thomas over Bowyer as he did peak at Palace and was fora  couple of years regarded as a top midfielder (until he hit the corner flag with a shot for England)