Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2012

Comments

• Options
    Have I wasted my money backing Treacle?
    Definitely not, especially if you've got him e/w. His 3rd in the Irish Hennessy in Feb was just ahead of the winner of the Betfred Bowl today. He's a good horse having a good season and 10.08's a very manageable weight. His stats for the GN aren't bad, just not quite strong enough so far as my model assesses them - but it isn't a crystal ball and its well due a blank.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    They're watering sections of the course overnight.
  • Options
    BTW, as I mentioned previously, on Good ground or thereabouts there is a larger than usual number of horses that my model rates as having the potential to finish within 20L of the winner (as such they're in the "margin of error"). Normally, there'd just be a couple but, in addition to Planet Of Sound and Becauseicouldntsee (which have the stats to go closer still), there are 5 in the 10-20L category who, while not winning candidates, could run well for a very long way or, if it's not quick ground, could stay-on into place money (according to my model). They are, in racecard order:

Neptune Collonges
    Junior
    Cappa Bleu
    Mon Mome
    Killyglen

Have to confess I've had a nibble of Mon Mome on the Betfair place market, for old times sake.
  • Options
    Pulled out shakalakaboomboom and treacle in the office sweepstake
  • Options
    How about Swing Bill - just got him in the sweep stake!
  • Options
    Hi peanuts, Thanks for the fantastic insight into the National, definitely given me some ideas of who to back! With this being the first year reading about your model, and without reading back through all 7 pages, I was going to ask whats the success rate of the model?
  • Options
    I bought a new Bentley on the back of the last two years addickforlife.
  • Options
    Arbor Supreme and Organised Confusion... the sweepstake has a lot to answer for. Picks being finalised tonight. Peanuts as insightful and learned as ever!
  • Options
    I bought a new Bentley on the back of the last two years addickforlife.
    Looks like I'll be following Peanuts model closely then!!
  • Options
    Ballabriggs for me. The National usually has some sort of story and this is the first one since the death of Ginger McCain, so how fitting for his son to saddle the winner for the second year running.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got Junior in the office sweepstake.
    So did I
  • Options
    I am running the sweepstake here, and just had Synchronised drawn out for me amid cries of fix.

Kiss of death as never win, so dont back him.
  • Options
    Hello Bud , According to Pete , the state of play is ( bit of midnight haze ) , I did the treacle ( Viking Blond ) in compliance because i could nt see
  • Options
    thank goodness for that!

Put it like this, I paid for my two tier decking two years ago and a holiday n Turkey last year by foing this model. Hopefully th is year New York will get wiped off the mastercard statement
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hi peanuts, Thanks for the fantastic insight into the National, definitely given me some ideas of who to back! With this being the first year reading about your model, and without reading back through all 7 pages, I was going to ask whats the success rate of the model?
    Cheers Chief,
    Record to date over the 6 years I’ve been using this model in its annual re-incarnations (it gets tweaked when it misses a winner or close placed horse):

2006: winner (Numbersixvalverde) & 4th (Nil Desperandum) from 6 selections
    2007: 2nd (McKelvey) from 3 selections
    2008: winner (Comply Or Die), 2nd (King Johns Castle) & 4th (Slim Pickings) from 5 selections
    2009: winner (Mon Mome) from 6 selections
    2010: winner (Don’t Push It), 4th (Big Fella Thanks), 5th (Hello Bud), 6th (Snowy Morning) from 6 selections
    2011: 2nd (Oscar Time) and 4th (State Of Play) from 6 selections

First posted recommendations here in 2007. Backing selections each-way or Betfair win and place on a weighted basis, it’s been profitable for me every year to date.
    I do caution every year there will be a blank sometime - could easily be this year as it is a very competitive National.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Arbor Supreme and Organised Confusion... the sweepstake has a lot to answer for. Picks being finalised tonight. Peanuts as insightful and learned as ever!
    Most kind ISLS....as ever, the proof of the pudding....!
    I'd check the time of the Topham to see if this rain, on top of last night's watering, slows the ground. Giles Cross could come back into the picture if it got to proper GS.
  • Options
    Do love this thread.

Just one question - as you tweak it after it misses winner or close placed horse, is that throwing up more horses that fall within the 'should bet on' paramaters each year?
  • Options
    Giles Cross for me.
  • Options
    Cheers Chief,
    Record to date over the 6 years I’ve been using this model in its annual re-incarnations (it gets tweaked when it misses a winner or close placed horse):

2008: winner (Comply Or Die), 2nd (King Johns Castle) & 4th (Slim Pickings) from 5 selections
    2010: winner (Don’t Push It), 4th (Big Fella Thanks), 5th (Hello Bud), 6th (Snowy Morning) from 6 selections

First posted recommendations here in 2007. Backing selections each-way or Betfair win and place on a weighted basis, it’s been profitable for me every year to date.
    I do caution every year there will be a blank sometime - could easily be this year as it is a very competitive National.
    Apart from that he's rubbish!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Do love this thread.

Just one question - as you tweak it after it misses winner or close placed horse, is that throwing up more horses that fall within the 'should bet on' paramaters each year?
    Don't think it has any impact on the number of next year's fancies. I also look closely at selections that did nothing to see if there's any negatives in their stats that were missed (obviously sometimes horses just get unlucky). Then I back-test the tweaks against the winners and <20L placed horses in all GNs from 1988 and the entire fields of the 2008~2011 GNs to verify the results......You should see the size of my spreadsheet! If anything I think that the tweakings tend to make it a stiffer test to achieve a winning score.

It may be that as the quality of entries has improved the number of horses "in the ballpark" has increased though.
    While there is an absolute stat-score that I look for for a wining candidate, in reality it's a race among the 40 that line up on the day of course. If there were say 8 horses that had an absolute winning score, I'd have to select only the best scores as winning candidates. Thankfully, this year there are left in only 4 at or above the absolute winning mark on the likely Easy-side of Good ground (if it somehow came up Good-to-Soft or worse, Giles Cross would re-enter the calcs - don't want to think about that just yet, let's see the time of the Topham). However there are quite a few more than usual (7 rather than typically a couple) with decent (though not winning) scores, consistent historically with finishing 4~20L behind the winner - hence there is probably more risk of a failure this year. I'll be backing the top 6 selections as usual though of course and, because the average odds are unfortunately a bit shorter than usual this year, I'll be laying a few that the model doesn't like but are fancied in the market to enhance the potential return.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Treacle
    Weird Al (e/w)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I make time of Topham 5m26s - suggests going on National Course is still basically Good maybe a touch of GS - not soft enough for Giles Cross, but weather's obviously changeable.
  • Options
    Cheers Chief,

Very impressive! Lets hope tomorrow isn't the time for a blank, I could do with a winner!

• Options
    Me too, after Cheltenham! Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I love horse racing and go regulary but now and again certian things just make me wonder.

Always Waining hacked up again in the Topham Chase, 3rd year running. Yet inbetween and before these 3 victories he's never been placed in over 20 other races. It does make you think if some horses really are always riden to win or held back to avoid the eye of the handicaper and the bookies.
  • Options
    I love horse racing and go regulary but now and again certian things just make me wonder.

Always Waining hacked up again in the Topham Chase, 3rd year running. Yet inbetween and before these 3 victories he's never been placed in over 20 other races. It does make you think if some horses really are always riden to win or held back to avoid the eye of the handicaper and the bookies.
    are you suggesting that racing is/can be 'bent'? ...... whatever next !!
  • Options
    Know you can't rely on tips for the GN... But just had Giles Cross from someone who knows a lot of trainers. Gonna have to back it, but gone for shaka and west end so far
  • Options
    He did say it could do with a touch of rain over night though
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    He did say it could do with a touch of rain over night though
    He isn't really the mudlark that some say he is - he didn't get home over 4 miles on bottomless ground in the Eider last year. But proper Good-to-Soft ~ Soft would give him a great chance. He needs it slow enough that he can happily front run as he usually does. Jumps well so should handle the fences and only carries 10.01 - it's just will the ground have enough juice in it? It was the same issue for Silver By Nature last year (he won the same race at Haydock as Giles Cross did, the 3.5m Grand National Trial - both won it on Heavy). Couldn't handle the pace set by Ballabriggs - mind you it was some pace.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Tell you what. 2 winners for Malcolm Jefferson at the Festival (he was in tears there) both win at Aintree (he's beaming now). If you are backing According To Pete tomorrow you've got to be happy. It's 52 years since the GN winner came from Yorkshire [that's not a relevant stat for my model, in case you were wondering]. Could it happen?