Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2011
    His match reports on 5 Live make no sense and are annoying but i loved him in It's a Knock-out .

• Options
    The worst after match football reporter in my opinion.  When its your team he is reporting on, you wonder if he watches the match or stares around every where apart from at the pitch, talks absolute nonsense. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Stuart Hall is a legend. I agree that his match reports are a bit "abstract" but I enjoy them none the less.

As a young teenager I used to love watching Its A Knockout on a Saturday night before Match of the Day. Stuart Hall would spend half the show just laughing his head off, especially when a competitor fell over.

• Options

Always remember It's A Knockout being on a Friday rather than Saturday.

What a sad indictment of todays standard of reporting and language in general the above comments are. Does no one read and appriciate English literature anymore?

Stuart Hall's post match reports are beautiful, Mark Pougatch always leaves a respectful pause after Hall has finished. It seems to me too many of you prefer the likes of Neville, Wilkins and Green.

• Options
    His reports are the highlight of 5Live.
  • Options

Stuart Hall is a legend. I agree that his match reports are a bit "abstract" but I enjoy them none the less.

As a young teenager I used to love watching Its A Knockout on a Saturday night before Match of the Day. Stuart Hall would spend half the show just laughing his head off, especially when a competitor fell over.

Totally agree

Even the BBC News team this morning were in awe, articulation is small fry for Hall
  • Options

What a sad indictment of todays standard of reporting and language in general the above comments are. Does no one read and appriciate English literature anymore?

Stuart Hall's post match reports are beautiful, Mark Pougatch always leaves a respectful pause after Hall has finished. It seems to me too many of you prefer the likes of Neville, Wilkins and Green.

When I listen to a football summary report I want to hear about the football match, not someone waffling about something else. If I want English litreture I'll pick up a book and read thanks.

As they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, good luck to you, but not for me.

• Options
    Top man - you need a few eccentrics around the place. Granted he's a bit self-indulgent but he certainly has a sense of fun.

• Options
    another example of BBC wastage .. he should have been retired and pensioned off years ago ... a nice old boy though, in small doses. One of my ideas of hell .. an evening with Savage and Hall
  • Options
    Strange way of summing up a game but I like it and he will be greatly missed in my household when he stops.  Deserved for his years in broadcasting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing wrong with a literary approach to sport from time to time and SH is a master at it.

I guess those that dislike his style had a similar antipathy to John Arlott's cricket commentary.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nothing wrong with a literary approach to sport from time to time and SH is a master at it.

I guess those that dislike his style had a similar antipathy to John Arlott's cricket commentary.
    to compare Arlott with Hall is akin to comparing Chaucer with Will Self or Shakespeare with Pam Eyres ..
  • Options

to compare Arlott with Hall is akin to comparing Chaucer with Will Self or Shakespeare with Pam Eyres
    Arlott was a far superior exponent in my opinion but stylistically, which is what we are discussing, there are similarities.
  • Options

to compare Arlott with Hall is akin to comparing Chaucer with Will Self or Shakespeare with Pam Eyres
    Arlott was a far superior exponent in my opinion but stylistically, which is what we are discussing, there are similarities.
    I know what you mean, however, Arlott was a natural 'conversationalist' and I consider Hall as more of an .... errrrrrr contrived essayist ? .. anyway, as you say both had their unique style
  • Options
    Good reporter.  Different to the rest.  It would be a terrible world if everyone had to fit the same mundane corporate template.  Well done to him.
  • Options

to compare Arlott with Hall is akin to comparing Chaucer with Will Self or Shakespeare with Pam Eyres ..
    Oi, don't go knocking Pam Ayres, she's brilliant.
  • Options
    Good reporter.  Different to the rest.  It would be a terrible world if everyone had to fit the same mundane corporate template.  Well done to him.
    agreed .. and 'ol Pam .. she be a luvverly 'ol gal .. I sure don't want to knock her though !!!
  • Options
    ;-)
  • Options

I doubt many on here would have any idea who John Arlott was Len.
  • Options

Had no problem with John Arlott's cricket commentary.  Cricket is a slower and different type of commentary.  Listening to the tests whilst driving on a hazy English summer JA fitted very well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2011

There is a time and a place English Literature. Match reports at 5.15 on a Saturday isn't that time and place. Just tell me about the game please Mr Hall.
  • Options
    another example of BBC wastage .. he should have been retired and pensioned off years ago ... a nice old boy though, in small doses. One of my ideas of hell .. an evening with Savage and Hall
    Spot on Lincs.
  • Options
    August 30th. 1986:  Man.U 0 - CAFC 1. Will always remember getting back to the car just in time to hear Stuart Hall say  'Today football was shaken to its very foundations by Charlton Athletic beating the great Manchester United......' He then gave an excellent and fair report on the game, giving us great credit for our performance rather than making excuses for United as so many other commentators do and I still enjoy his rather eccentricand personal style of reporting.
  • Options
    Love his style and always listen out for his match reports, sure to raise a smile. Surely that can't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    Always found him to be a bit of a twat to be honest..and he's ex-Palarse as well!
  • Options
    Always found him to be a bit of a twat to be honest..and he's ex-Palarse as well!
    Thought he was Man City.
  • Options
    Thought he was Man City.
    He supports Citeh........but actually signed for Palarse as a 16 year old, many moons ago.
  • Options
    Thought he was Man City.
    He supports Citeh........but actually signed for Palarse as a 16 year old, many moons ago.
    Same as Chris Powell then!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thought he was Man City.
    Same as Chris Powell then!
    Errrm.......... Shhhhhhhhhhhh Johnny, you're not supposed to mention that!!!
  • Options
    Can't stand it when he comes on the radio. Tells you diddly about the game but warbles on trying to impress with his 'colourful' descriptions. Still an improvement on watching that bug-eyed halfwit Dowie on Sky