Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swearing on Charlton Life.

Any chance we might have a little less of it please lads? I know that some people don't mind it, consider it quite normal and probably litter their conversations with effs and c's as a matter of course. A reflection of society you might say but that doesn't make it right in every case.

CL is a great site but it's been noticable over the last few months that we've attracted some new users who's default position is to throw personal abuse about at other posters and the swearing is part of this. This has led, IMO, to more established posters thinking it's now acceptable to post similar stuff.

Not expecting CL to be like a monistary but pretty much every thread now includes someone posting effing this or c***. Have a bit of respect for AFKA/Lookie, each other and the rules of the board eh fellas?

Btw I fully expect some wit to tell me to not act so c***y in their reply so save yourself the trouble.

Comments

• Options
    Well said that man. I hope we can keep this site a cut above. I swear sometimes but putting it down in print just doesn't seem right. We are mostly all strangers on CL albeit linked through CAFC and I wouldn't dream of using bad language to a stranger verbally so why would I find it acceptable on here. Mind you. What is said on CL is like a priests forum compared to the Millwall sites but we need to remain better than that.
  • Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Could not agree more. The English language is full of descriptive adjectives so there is no need for swearing.
  • Options
    Oi, no-one will tell me what I can and cannot say, you blooming divvy codger!
  • Options
    Agree.
  • Options
    Touche shine quality clip
  • Options
    Great clip but irrelevant ? Swearing is a great way of emphasising a sentence but overuse diminishes that value to the point of being boring. It also has its place. I doubt many would f and c in the presence of their grandmother or boss. It would show a lack of respect. I certainly feel that swearing on CL on every post on every subject is less than respectful to your fellow lifers and to AFKA and Lookie and indeed does show a lack of alternative vocabulary in order to make your point. I don't have any problem with anyone posting and using the occasional swear word if the circumstances are justified. Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Apart from the clip being great, I agree SHG. Lack of respect and consideration. Circumstances rarely justify it. Its overuse can devalue a contribution rather than emphasise a point. I'd prefer to read less of it on Charlton Life, but hey, that, apparently, is Charlton Life. Back in my box now.
  • Options
    It's not just the actual words it's the implied emotions (particularly the anger and spite) that I find unacceptable.

Other than that swearing is, indeed, a part of society, just not the society that I want my child to join just yet.

Either way the site is not suitable for children, in my opinion , and before someone tells me that they hear these words at school, they know they shouln't use them and that makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, swearing at school usually gets a sanction of some sort. Of course swearing happens, and it is appropriate in some situations...it is witty and creative when the actual words are circumvented in some original way, but you know what is meant.
    I wish people thought about the children who may read this on occasion, not to shield them from reality, but to be sensitive to the circumstances in which they may be reading the posts.
    Refraining from swearing in some situations indicates a degree of thoughtfulness towards the listener or reader, which seems to me to be a good thing...the dislike of swearing is not a Stasi inspired attempt to crush legitimate self expression.
    The following are not suitable for work, or for the children, but actually add to the debate:
    BE CAREFUL WITH THESE LINKS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7Gq7iat3A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTifRi3qDkU

• Options
    Similar to swearing on here then KHA? Guru suggested you would not swear in front of your Gran, but we are not talking to our Gran here, are we? That said, since a previous thread on the subject I have all but stopped using words that upset some old fashioned folk [:-)] on here, out of respect for them. It's not that difficult.
  • Options
    Similar to swearing on here then KHA? Guru suggested you would not swear in front of your Gran, but we are not talking to our Gran here, are we? That said, since a previous thread on the subject I have all but stopped using words that upset some old fashioned folk [:-)] on here, out of respect for them. It's not that difficult.
    I am indeed not talking to my gran on here but I try to show the same level of respect and courtesy to anyone who reads my post as I would her if she was in fact still with us. In my view it's all about respect. You wouldn't swear at your customers or clients because it might offend. A gas fitter wouldn't walk into someone's home and say "morning love where's the fucking boiler" no more than. Nurse would say to her patients "right then. Who wanted that fucking bedpan" only words but unacceptable usage in those examples. As I said respect.

• Options
    Why do you assume that age has anything to do with a hatred of crude and offensive words? All swearing shows is a lack of knowledge of the English language as there are a multitude of words to express yourself precisely and yet firmly.
  • Options
    Why do you assume that age has anything to do with a hatred of crude and offensive words? All swearing shows is a lack of knowledge of the English language as there are a multitude of words to express yourself precisely and yet firmly.
    Well said.
  • Options
    Might as well ban Leroy now! Can't ever remember the bloke posting without the use of a swearword. In two minds about this. suggest people try and find some sort of middle ground between what Bournemouth is saying and how Leroy posts.....if that's possible. I guess it's not!
  • Options
    Spot on Bournemouth - and well done for raising it.
    Spoken swearing is forgiveable, but to sit and think and then regularly type a swear word is just totally un necessary.
  • Options
    I'm going to respectfully disagree. Swearing is all about context - it can be appropriate or inappropriate depending on usage.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    To quote the wonderful Arthur Smith: "Everyday swearing is f***ing marvellous"

I've always sworn - since I was young. My mother has language that would disturb a sailor, and the amount of, or verbosity with which a man swears is no more a mark of his intelligence (or lack thereof) than his accent. South-East Londoners in general swear more than any other group of people I know. I'm not trying to excuse my swearing - I couldn't give a f*** what people think (see what I did there?) - but wouldn't you rather have a forum full of swearing than some of the racist tripe we get on here on a semi-regular basis?
  • Options
    I think SHG and KHA have hit the nail on the head for me and have got my point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prudish old codger (thanks Sam 3110 for that btw!) and I can and do swear with the best of them if the circumstances are appropriate. Some posters however seem to have no filter for this and for some reason seem to think it's appropriate in pretty much every circumstance. Whether they genuinely don't have the grasp of the language to come up with an better alternative, think it reinforces their point, makes them look "edgy", hard or whatever I don't know and frankly don't care either. The fact is that it's not optional and if you want to use CL you have to agree not to use foul language (I think it's something like that anyway but I'm not admin...)

I do appreciate that not everyone will agree with this view but I just don't want CL to end up like so many football forums; populated by people trying too hard to be 'geezers' and unable to have any form of discussion without reverting to foul and abusive language. We are better than that but we do have to be wary that we keep on top of it and recently standards seem to have slipped shall we say.

A little bit more self censorship to keep this site a pleasure to visit is all it takes chaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but wouldn't you rather have a forum full of swearing than some of the racist tripe we get on here on a semi-regular basis?

• Options
    Please listen to Bournemouth guys, the majority know how we want this forum to operate so please respect that.

In my 20 odd thousand posts on here I've managed to not swear once I think. Yet those that know me will tell you I can barely saw a sentence without swearing.

It's really not a big ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Leroy ''but wouldn't you rather have a forum full of swearing than some of the racist tripe we get on here on a semi-regular basis?''

its not an either/or option!
    People, including admin dont like it, you know they dont like it, but do it anyway?

Well done - you are right
  • Options
    i see this site as a medium for civilised debate and opinion ...that doesnt include abuse or obscenity
  • Options
    Far cough......................
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Unfortunately football and Charlton Athletic in particular have encouraged me to swear most of my adult life.
  • Options
    To quote the wonderful Arthur Smith: "Everyday swearing is f***ing marvellous"

I've always sworn - since I was young. My mother has language that would disturb a sailor, and the amount of, or verbosity with which a man swears is no more a mark of his intelligence (or lack thereof) than his accent. South-East Londoners in general swear more than any other group of people I know. I'm not trying to excuse my swearing - I couldn't give a f*** what people think (see what I did there?) - but wouldn't you rather have a forum full of swearing than some of the racist tripe we get on here on a semi-regular basis?
    I think I've sat on the same train or bus or been in the same cinema or bank queue a number of times with you. Or even worse, heard you when abroad. If you could hear what you and your sort sound like you may think again, but then again, probably not.

• Options

I think I've sat on the same train or bus or been in the same cinema or bank queue a number of times with you. Or even worse, heard you when abroad. If you could hear what you and your sort sound like you may think again, but then again, probably not.

As well as swearing can we also then cut down on the patronising and condescending language as above? It would seem that one could lead to the other...

'you and your sort' ... ha, what a joke
  • Options
    Unfortunately football and Charlton Athletic in particular have encouraged me to swear most of my adult life.
    '
    pmsl...................ooops