Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I Only Went out For A Lightbulb....

Just went out to get a lightbulb from Homebase when some bloke decided to reverse at speed into me , blimey that was scary seeing the reverse lights come on and not being able to get out of the way , i'm still shaking inside.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Should of stayed in asda, safer..:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Rubbish! Were you walking or in a car!?
  • Options
    Swap details?
  • Options
    In a car , i was in shock , didnt have a clue what was going on , we swapped details , i was ok at the time , but now my neck hurts, have tried to numb the ache with some vodka and orange , a girls drink i know ... but needs must.
  • Options
    In a car , i was in shock , didnt have a clue what was going on , we swapped details , i was ok at the time , but now my neck hurts, have tried to numb the ache with some vodka and orange , a girls drink i know ... but needs must.
    Sounds like a case for lawyers4u
  • Options
    You'll probably be very sore in the morning mate, rest easy. Hope the bugger is insured.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that.
    Do you ask the lunatic why he was reversing at speed?
  • Options
    Make sure you get to your GP about your neck, will add some weight to your case should you choose to claim against the idiot.
  • Options

Did you get the Lightbulbs
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thankfully yes , i was shaking as i went into the store and asked if if they had it it stock , i wish i could have videoed it with my phone , it
    scared the crap out of me seeing the reverse lights come on and the car coming straight for me it was a people carrier , so i was always going to come off worse , i just froze in disbelief at what he was doing , the bloke didn't know why he did it ... nor do i, i had my Charlton shirt on at the time ... i hope he wasn't a Palace fan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry but thats quite funny...
  • Options
    hope you feel ok in the morning MIA. you might find that your neck seizes up overnight.
  • Options
    I had a crash earlier in the year. My fault - car stopped in front and I didn't stop in time. Hit their car and they touched the one in front of them.

I was on my way to the airport to go on holiday with my wife and 3 year old daughter. The car I hit was driven by an Indian chap with his mate in the front and father in the back.
    I asked if everyone was OK and they all were. I checked with the car in front of them and the woman was fine - just had a scratch on her bumper.

The next thing I heard was the guy in the back was now "paralysed" so an ambulance was called. And then the police. Then I am told he's "having a suspected heart attack" by his son. I could see he was hamming it up though.

I am now pooping myself quite a lot. The car is a piece of metal but my holiday was a £4k treat I could see going down the drain.

Eventually we got everything sorted - my father picked us up - took us to the airport and we checked in with 4 mins to spare before they closed the flight.

I got home from holiday to find a letter from a lawyer who had met the indian chap that very afternoon following them all being successfully discharged from hospital (whiplashed buttocks, leg and arms but nothing more than that). Seems they are doing the "where there's blame theres a claim"

To top it all off the car with the scratched bumper is also pursuing me (5 months later) as she was "forced" to take 2 days off work with whiplash despite the photos showing nothing more than a scratch to her bumper.

I dread my next insurance premium....

Moral to the story - please try to avoid making a spurious claim if there is no need because this ambulance chasing is what is raising insurance premiums.
  • Options
    All too common Swisdom. My mate got had coming onto the A2 at Dartford Heath. Within a week he received 3 solicitors letters- one from each occupant- claiming damages for whiplash, stress etc. The insurance company dealt with it and he heard no more until his renewel came through with the premium doubled! This link shows how the scumbags were doing it.
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/december/21/cash_for_crash_scam.aspx
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong - I was at fault and I fully accept that. But I do hate the ambulance chasing culture we live in nowadays.

People should strive to work for a living - not live on handouts and compensation.
  • Options
    Swisdom - you're lucky there are still only two passengers in that first car claiming. Claims from 'phantom passengers' are an increasing problem. Word of advise to anyone involved in a car crash. If at all possible, take photos and/or video on your phone of all other cars involved clearly showing the number of people in the car and any visible damage to any vehicles, as well as the surrounding area, road signs etc. In the event of someone making a spurious claim against you this might just help to defend the case.
  • Options
    I'm not the sort of person to make claims , my neck hurts this morning , and the bloke was quite happy and smiley when he got out of the car , i felt like hitting him bar the fact he had another kid in the car , i think i was so shocked i didn't know what to do.
  • Options
    Surely the 'moral' of the story is to drive properly in the first place?
  • Options
    Asolutely Leroy , i don't know what possessed him , i think people in people carriers think they are indestructible because they have so much protection around them, it certainly made him drive sloppy.
  • Options
    Wasn't Murphy was it..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Asolutely Leroy , i don't know what possessed him , i think people in people carriers think they are indestructible because they have so much protection around them, it certainly made him drive sloppy.
    I was thinking more of swisdom here, but Potatoe, potarto.
  • Options
    Surely the 'moral' of the story is to drive properly in the first place?
    It's called an accident for a reason - It was not deliberate. Accidents happen. I drive around 25k-30k miles a year - law of averages states I am going to get involved in an accident every so often. Nothing to do with driving "properly"

• Options
    Sods law an accident would happen locally , i've driven to every league match this season except Mk Dons Away , no problems what so ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well if my recent experience is anything to go by, the whole claims industry culture needs to be thoroughly reviewed, and I am the party who is claiming.
    I was stationary at traffic lights, and some guy went into me. I currently have 9 different 'agencies' that my insurance company have used to settle the claim, and frankly there approved repairer, has screwed up the repair to my 2 year old fiesta?. They did not even hang the tailgate, which i thought they could have knocked out and sprayed, and just bolted on a bumper which does not match?
    Thanks to Saga lout on here, I am getting this sorted, due to his recomendation to a small repair shop. According to the repairer, the tailgate needs to be rehung, with a new pair of brackets....... and the bumper blended in, not unusual. Oh and just for good measure they put the wrong exhaust tail on from a 'Ford Ka' not the St performance model that it is?. So far this has taken nearly 8 months to resolve, and despite the other party claiming 'full liability' in writing, and restoring my full no claims I shudder to think what my Insurance premium will be on renewal, simply because I claimed?. I only hired a car when it was at the garage, and only wanted a small car, did not claim for loss of earnings/injuries ( as I was not working in fairness and the other driver had put his hand up to it).
    The whole episode has made me very nervous about driving, and prefer to drive an old fiesta that I restored last summer. The whole claims culture seems to be one of continual argument and unlesss you are prepared to pay for the repair yourselves , the car hire, the expenses, the legal advice, the claims management company, and so forth , (you have to even take out a credit agreement for your excess at least I did for the repair to commence?). I am sure the 'wise and clever' know all the little stunts to pull to inflate the claim , like the '2 bob solicitor' I have who claims £120 an hour, but does nor reply to my requests for an update? and has had three holidays since my claim........'Saga' is my Insurance company and it has certainly been that. One thing is for sure it will not be on renewal?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This whole ambulance chasing makes my blood boil too.

Our car was parked outside my wife's place of work, and was reversed in to by a n other driver trying to reverse in to a gap in front of ours. One of my wife's colleagues heard both " crunches" and thankfully 2 witnesses came in to her place of work to tell her they had seen the incident. No one was in our car, and my wife went outside and found the driver who admitted he "thought he'd hit our car". He offered my wife £40 for the broken number plate but it was evident he'd hit the actual bumper as well so she turned it down and exchanged insurance details.

Our car being relatively new was repaired promptly and of no cost to us, ( A lot more than £40 I'd add as the whole bumper had been knocked out of line) but the number of phone calls I've had since from these companies trying to get me to claim compensation, well, I've lost count. The first couple of calls I explained that I didn't want to claim as no one was injured and the car was unoccupied etc.

Subsequent calls from either the same or other companies, I've let them ramble on with their suggestion that I or my wife could claim whiplash, stress and many other "so called" injuries. I played them along until they thought they had convinced me to claim, then spoilt their fun by telling them it would be difficult to win as neither of us were in the car at the time.

This happened in July 2011, I'm still getting calls about it, and now rant back to them over their immoral ambulance chasing and them causing my policy costs to rise.

I haven't and will not claim and (perhaps naively) would hope I'm not on the receiving end of one of these spurious claims should the boot be on the other foot, as some of you guys are having to deal with.
  • Options
    the more time you have to take off the more comp you get apparently
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    its the fees, for lawyers, car hire and everything else that are the scam rather than the comp itself - in legit cases that is
  • Options
    Get the company name, and the person on the phone. Report them to your insurance company (who probably tipped them off in the first place) or the Insurance Ombudsman (if there is one).
    These parasites need to be driven out of our society!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Surely the purpose of data protection is to stop parasites such as this gaining personal details.

In my experience insurance companies are the first people to cite "data protection" when you try and get behind their wilful obfuscation to help other family members.

I'd give serious consideration to turning it round and reporting them to the Information Commissioner for malpractice in giving personal information to third parties.

Doubtless though there's small print somewhere saying as insurance companies we can do what the hell we like with your information and use data protection as an excuse to fob you off when we like.

Worded rather more subtly though I suspect!
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Did you get the Lightbulbs
    Did you get the lightbulb ???