Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Urgent Help needed re a parking ticket.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Actually, it is even more confusing than rocket science. There are whole swathes of London where it is illegal to park anywhere without some kind of permit. My work is mobile and I am always put in a situation where if I don`t park "illegally" then I can`t park at all.

Every single day without fail I will have problems trying to carry out my job due to the "parking laws" in London.

There are thousands or residential streets that have plenty of empty parking spaces but without residents permit it is illegal to park anywhere and no pay and display system. This is devised for one reason only and that is to catch people out!

Parking in London is a racket that employs a hell of a lot of people and there they must take huge amounts of money through fines etc to be able to sustain it!
  • Options

Can you still put a shower hat over your bike plate?
    Back in the day it was an offence for wardens to remove it as it was seen as tampering with your bike....or so I was led to believe
    All the more annoying that I was caught by a poxy cctv operator.
    Worth checking whether the amounts had just been "reserved" on your account as opposed to actually being taken.

When a card transaction begins, one of the early steps is to check that the funds are available and freeze them - subject to all the security PIN and stuff being OK.

You may find the 2 transactions just disappear from your account in a few days.
    That's what the woman in TH seemed to think had happened; however, the bank said that they had been taken. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to be taken - i have the money in my account.

• Options
    Olster, get a letter from the bank sent over today explaining how much to whom and when the payment happened.
    Get that over to TH and get a refund from them and notice that the account is settled.

Best bit after that you can then use the distance selling act to get the payment returned to your account via the bank (due to no payment receipt being provided) and you have a settled ticket from TH and the money back.

All legally correct (as they have put you in this situation) however morally you might feel about it.

Can I just say morally I think that parking in a dangerous way or causing an obstruction to other road users is wrong. But being done for every little thing that you can be by a TW is even more so.

I am still fighting our ticket.
    Cheers, I need to wait a few days for the transactions to show on my online statements, then get them over to TH.

• Options
    Whats your bank account details mate and I'll check it
  • Options
    Nightmare parking tickets where i live you need a permit i have one but there is not enough room for all the permit holders cars so we park at the end of the row where people can get round, there is no other parking within 10 minutes walk and both tickets recently have been on returning after charlton games when space is limited. A ticket at 11.05 and 11.23pm is purely money making the gits
  • Options
    Parking attendant done the same to me, my daughter was 11 and I popped in coop to get her a cake on way home. There is a raised part of the road so it is nigh on the same level as curb. My tyre was apparently about 1cm overlapping the curb hence 'parked on public footway' no yellow lines, or anything. This is bearing in mind i consideratly thought about not parking on a bend as it would have blocked the road for other road users. I came out literallly within 2minuted and see a ticket and my daugter pointing to this grinning bitch all locked up in her van. I asked her why and she ignored me i then went mad at her her and all she done was grinned i started punching her window and was glad it didn't go through in the end as I was fckin irate and god knows what I would have done.
    Pond life scum, hope it was true what I wished on her.
    Expensive cake.
  • Options
    Whats your bank account details mate and I'll check it
    Pm'd you. thanks for the help.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    That's what the woman in TH seemed to think had happened; however, the bank said that they had been taken. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to be taken - i have the money in my account.
    Technical glitch usually. The fact that the bank says the money has been "taken" (it probably hasn't, Valiantphil is right, it's just been held for payment) means that they could connect to your account OK, but there's lots of other stuff that happens after the initial authorisation, and if it takes too long to complete, the transaction fails but doesn't necessarily remove the hold on your money.

Best thing to do is email the Council today (put the ticket ref in the subject line) and say you attempted payment today using your card, and it appears that the payment has been authorised twice but you have not received any receipt, and are concerned that it's not gone through correctly causing you to incur additional charges.

Ask them to put the case on hold until this query has been resolved, and request that they contact their merchant services provider to confirm
    1) what the authorisation codes of any payment attempts made on the card around the time you tried to pay were
    2) whether their system will actually be able to claim the money from your account and pass it to the council - if not, the council's system wil still show you as not having paid.
    You will need to give them the last 4 digits of your card number, the expiry date and the approximate time (say a 1hr slot) you attempted to pay.

If the payment has authorised but there's been a glitch on the system that means they can't claim the money, the "hold" that the authorisation puts on the funds in your account should eventually expire, but it can take ages, depending on who your card issuer is. If they confirm in writing that they can't claim the money, then you can pass that info on to the bank and request they remove the hold from the funds so you can make the payment again.

Sadly this is not an uncommon problem, so they _should_ be able to get an answer for you but it might take a couple of days depending on how complicated their supplier relationships are. Whatever you do, DON'T follow Strasburger's advice about the distance selling act, as what'll probably happen is the card company will claim the money back off the council, the council will trace the original payment, and start pursuing you for payment again in a few months.
  • Options
    Surely if you've paid twice in error you just ask your bank to recall one of the payments, no need to involve TH at all?
  • Options
    All these parking fines are a racket, clearly. I'm amazed to read here that one cannot claim that they went to get change for a parking ticket when for some reason it's only car park machines that are unable to give change or accept notes/card payment. Although it is always the council's default position that you must be lying when appealing, so I shouldn't be too surprised. They don't want to give up their extorted extra cash easily do they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @aliwibble.

many thanks; i'll send an email.

• Options
    Surely if you've paid twice in error you just ask your bank to recall one of the payments, no need to involve TH at all?
    bank said they couldn't do that...

• Options
    Whatever you do, DON'T follow Strasburger's advice about the distance selling act, as what'll probably happen is the card company will claim the money back off the council, the council will trace the original payment, and start pursuing you for payment again in a few months.
    Fair comment. I have used it many times directly with online merchants to get money back when things go wrong or not as described (work related 99% of the time) and have never yet had to call the card provider to follow it through as they almost always refund the same day.

I have never used it in this type of situation and can see if they audit to that level it could well come back and bite you later down the line.
  • Options
    bank said they couldn't do that...
    I assume you paid using a Visa debit card not a credit card?
    If so, your bank are telling you fibs. Trouble is none of their staff (deliberate policy maybe) are trained to be aware of the Visa chargeback scheme. If you have not received goods or services (a parking fine counts as a service) that you have paid for they are obliged by their codes to refund you. Ask to speak to someone competent.
    This is what the BBC has to say, but there's plenty of other stuff about it online. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7347146.stm

• Options
    Contact the British Parking Association on 01444 447300

whatastate.org.uk/car-parking-penalties has good advice and letter templates
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Just wanted to update you all. Went to the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service. Had the hearing this weekend and we won. Very good result for us and I now get to invoice LB Bexley for my time and experiences.
  • Options
    Just wanted to update you all. Went to the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service. Had the hearing this weekend and we won. Very good result for us and I now get to invoice LB Bexley for my time and experiences.
    Well done mate, hope the stress of it all hasn't taken too much out of you.
  • Options
    Result, well done!
  • Options
    Well that's made my day Strasburger....nice one!
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited July 2012
    How much do you charge them for the experience?

Only joking, good to hear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nice one

this is what should happen to all traffic wardens

• Options
    How much do you charge them for the experience?

Only joking, good to hear.
    lol stupid auto-correct on the phone. Should use the PC but people get upset with me in the office.

I am going to invoice for parking £6
    Mileage at £1.42 per mile
    Time 21 hours at £38 per hour.
  • Options
    Did the council ever turn up? It happened to a mate of mine and he went through all the stress and then the Council guys did not turn up and the case was awarded to him... Wonder if that happened to you?
  • Options
    Nope they didn't but they don't have to. As far as the law goes with these things we are infact guilty until we proved that in this case the law was broken by them.
  • Options
    Well done mate; great news to get one over on those thieves. I presume you won because they hadn't actually issued the penalty notice?
  • Options
    Appeal if you lose appeal to adjudicator. Dont pay.

• Options
    Yes they said they had but it was proved they didn't
  • Options
    Just got another parking ticket from Bexley stating we had parked the car in restricted area outside a school, 48J is the offence they are claiming.

I asked for the photographic evidence and this came back.

imageflickr.com/photos/90909564@N02/9343508240/

As you can see the car is stopped well away from the markings and more over was pulling over to allow cars coming the other way to pass, in this time my daughter got out (while the car was waiting) can anyone tell me if they can issue this in this area?
  • Options
    I've had 3 parking tickets in the past few months through Bexley council, I've found that by continuingly arguing the case on them gets them recinded as after a while they just can't be bothered anymore, I seem to be able to have a decent email argument with the best of them!
  • Options
    Its a joke - I recently got penalty charge in an ncp car park where i had a valid ticket but failed to notice the "yellow" lines inside the white box that looked like a parking space......wtf.......no signage to indicate yellow lines and why put yellow line next to a fence in a car park ?....must be me.....