Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

burgled last night..

Comments

• Options
    feel for you Eltham, we have had a burglary near us recently and I live in what I feel is a very safe area

Set the alarm when we go to bed now...
  • Options
    my sympathies ..can speak from experience that its not nice

lets hope the b eggars get caught and our side gives you a 3-0 home win on sat to ease the pain

all the best
  • Options
    tangoflash
    Agreed they are understaffed. Wouldn't have a dig at any individual police officer because they simply follow policy. I would guess they are busier at night so wouldn't expect them to turn up then. But i don't think it's much to expect that one officer turns up the next day. (Anyway this was a few years ago and with the local community officers perhaps they have improved).
  • Options
    I got burgled last year. Cops found fingerprints within an hour, had the kids in custody within the week. I tell you this as there's always a chance you might get justice. Even if it is a plastic ankle bracelet and some touchy-feely meetings with a social worker.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorry to learn of this. Was burgled once whilst asleep in bed. Not much nicked - a tele and a few bits and pieces. Felt violated though.

When I lived in Tunbridge Wells, disturbed a crack head burglar trying to break into my neighbours house. Called the OB who managed to arrest him.
  • Options
    Just want to add that we have cctv so if anything does happen we can give police visual evidence.
    Haven't said it yet but hope it isn't that bad when you get home ElthamAddick.
  • Options
    One of the positives of owning a dog........................
  • Options
    Hate burglars myself too. Its not true though that they don't get custodial sentences......

"For a domestic burglary displaying most of the features of the standard domestic burglary [see paragraph 17] above (theft of electrical goods and/or personal items, damage caused by the break-in, some turmoil in the house and some trauma to the victim), but committed by a first-time domestic burglar, the starting point should be a custodial sentence of 9 months. A case at this level would, on a guilty plea, be suitable for disposal in a magistrates' court.
  • Options
    9 months. 4.5 months in reality.

Derisory.
  • Options
    It is derisory taking into account the amount of misery caused and the profound effect it has on people's lives.

3 year minimum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Danny. Its a yucky feeling to have. Was burgled years ago. I remember tiptoeing into every room to check them every time i came home after being burgled as i couldn't relax until i had. Even tho i had changed the locks. Not nice.

• Options
    Why is burglary any different to what the looters did in the riots?
  • Options
    In my time in and around East London got turned over more than 10 times without any sign of catching the scumbags.

Suspected they waited for us to replace the stuff then hit us again so would defo recommend upping the security measures now you've been done Eltham. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorry to hear this mate.....happened to me a few years back when I was away on a course..came back to a mess....including sh1t in the bath.......dirty little sods.....would like them to try nowadays.....get past 4 german shepherds.......not a chance of getting out!!
  • Options
    Fella opposite my mum and dads in blackheath burgled between 6pm and 8pm on saturday while out having dinner with his family.
  • Options
    ADT charged us about £700 for the install. That was a few years ago. Funny that after we had it fitted i noticed how many alarms were fitted in the street.

As for Obill dont hold your breath. They were short staffed even when they werent. The WPC who turned up the night we got done was first class---the two knob heads who turned up next day---utter tossPots, they truely didnt give a shit.
  • Options
    Plaaayer - its the same in that stuff gets nicked, but feels worse for the victim when its their home that's been invaded, and I think the victim should be taken into account
  • Options
    I meant in the way that sentences are handed out. More often than not you see community work or tags given to burglars, maybe a few months locked up might put them off.
  • Options
    The thing to watch for, is quite often they will return about a month later, as they will know the items they have taken would have been replaced.
  • Options
    Hmm... One bad aspect of our a*sehole neighbours moving out is that their large and vocal dogs have gone with them. Luckily, we've still got the old boy who patrols the bottom of the gardens with his shotgun - keeping his chickens safe from foxes, you understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @ Plaaayer....no corporate businesses are usually affected in household burgalaries and it's not political unlike the riots hence the complete lack of empathy from the law makers.

Doesn't help when you have Lord Justice (cant remember his name so just insert out of touch buffoon) recently proclaiming that the majority of burgalars should not serve custodial sentences.

Unless by that he was implying they should be used as sparring partners for Mike Tyson (in every sense) I think it sends out the wrong message to the cheeky scamps.
  • Options
    What SE9 says, always lock the uPVC door from the inside.

We (I say we as I was married at the time) got burgled in the middle of the night while we and our then 12 month old daughter was fast asleep upstairs. Came downstairs in the morning to find anything valuable of note has been stolen and they'd got away in my ex-wife's motor. It turns out that another house at the end of the road got done by the same bloke in the same night.

With the ex-mother-in-law being Old Bill, you can pretty much say the response time for them turning up to take fingerprints was nothing longer than 15 mins. They knew him as he was well known to them. Went round there an hour later to find him asleep recovering from his midnight escapades. The ex-wife's car was parked in the alleyway at the back of his house. The Police uncovered a load of stolen goods but none of ours unfortunately so had to claim the whole lot back through the insurance company. It really shook us up. Just glad none of us woke up as god knows what would have happened then if we'd disturbed him.

Anyhow, he got 4yrs for our burglary, the one at the end of the road and a large number of others he later admitted to. Probably actually served a lot less than that though.

• Options
    Not very nice thing to happen to anyone.
    I've got a contracted alarm system but I dont think that is enough, who takes much notice of an alarm going off? I installed cctv with night vision last weekend. Now I can see what the nieghbours are up to 24/7.
    I was told years ago to make your home more secure than your nieghbours then the scumbags will leave your house alone.
    Bit of a strange one happen to my parents 20 odd years ago, they had their garden shed nicked.
  • Options
    We were burgled about 15 years ago having moved we have an alarm which is always put on when we go to bed and make sure our door is double locked and all the windows are locked as well. The number of breakins at night has increased becuase the thieves are quite often wanting to steal cars and the only way to take modern cars is by using the key.

We have now had a spate of burglaries down our street in the last few weeks so everyone had a leaflet from the police advising vigilance. I am considering CCTV as a further detterent as said if you make your house harder to break into then they move onto someone else.

Burglary is a personal violation and should carry a hard sentence I hate the scum who do this.
  • Options
    Some people keep a baseball bat beside their bed for such emergancies. Being British, I keep a cricket bat handy!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I've taken to not wearing anything to bed as a sort of 'Shock and Awe' tactic as I come running down the stairs.
  • Options
    You should keep your boots on to scare them even more
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Coincidentally, my missus woke me up at 5:00am today telling me she could hear someone in the kitchen...cue Bournemouth creeping around starkers ready to club the scumbag to within an inch of his life with the heaviest Maglight torch he could buy effect a citizens arrest.

She can go next time...
  • Options
    I don't even know you Plaayer but I feel I want to join in with Mugs Wear Uggs brigade! ;-)
  • Options
    The guys with ADT maybe interested to know our alarm was installed by them and serviced annually. On a service visit some two years ago it was apparent to me that the engineer was taking a bit longer than usual to service it so I queried it with him, he told me the alarm had lost it connection with the monitoring service so pushing it bit further I asked when that was and eventually they admitted the last signal recieved was some 7 months previously, surely you would assume if the system was down it would register with their company and that was my question but apparently not, so we cancelled imediately. Saying that ADT's latest offer seems very appealing although it a 36month contract! We need to get ours updated because of Bailey wandering around the house we have also put in CCTV which is a visual deterant as well as obviously recording anthing going on outside.