Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Biggest game you've missed ?

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
As said before, i'm out the country this weekend and just cannot get my head around it.

All my time following Charlton, this is the biggest game i've missed.

What's yours ??

Comments

• Options
    First game back at The Valley.

My dad went but when he asked me i said i didnt want to go (i was 10 at the time).

After that game i was at almost every home game being a member for the remainder of that season before getting my season ticket since then (i have not moved my seat in 14 years now!!
  • Options
    Stoke, last game at the Valley.

I was 8 and cried my eyes out at having to go on Hoiliday to my nans.
    My bloddy dad still went though and joined us later in the holiday. Not that I hold grudges.
  • Options
    I missed:

1.First Game back at the valley - Playing in a hockey tournament
    2. Curb's Last game - share my season ticket and my Dad went to this
    3. The west hame game this weekend - Stuck in the office supervising carpet fitters so my dad is going.
  • Options
    Frustratingly the play off final. I was not a season ticket holder yet that season went to 23 games, mainly away. All I got from the ticket office is we cannot accept telephone bookings, yes we know you live in Northants, you'll have to come down and queue up etc yes we know we have sent you tickets this season.

So I watched it on the TV whilst a non football loving at that time Ms Lat (aged 7) looked on completely amazed at the antics of her father running around the house, the close we lived in shouting his head off much to hers and the neighbours amusement. From that point I hatched a plan to stop working Saturdays, join Valley Gold, get a season ticket and from season 2001/2002 have hardly missed a game and had Ms Lat alongside.

I have been known to do locum work in Grimsby and Torquay for example work the day and go to the game in the evening...perfect and now woth my own business will enlist the support of my wife (also a handy pharmacist) to look after the show whilst I disappear. For e.g. I will pop off tonight to catch the reserves at Villa Park
  • Options
    leeds in play off final.i was a little bit too scared.chewed my fingers off listening to it from my dad's car radio.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]leeds in play off final.i was a little bit too scared.chewed my fingers off listening to it from my dad's car radio.

I didn't go to the replay at St Andrews although I went to the match at Elland Road. It was a little hairy at Elland Road and to be honest, I didn't really fancy it.
  • Options
    dennis in the last minute..... :-(

was taken to manchester for the weekend by a non football liking bloke. forced him into letting me watch it in a walkabout pub. the bar staff had the rugby on and wondered why i was so determined to watch 2 teams that he hadn't heard of.

there were 2 other guys watching the game, obviously neutrals, but could tell i was charlton as i was so animated. they started cheering on palace at one point so had to give them lots of evil looks. when we scored i screamed and jumped up and the whole pub (who were mostly watching rugby on other screens) turned and looked at me. not that i cared.
  • Options
    Without doubt the 98 Playoff final, despite attending most games that season. Also missed both legs of the Ipswich game as well.
  • Options
    Curbs last game...

would've been the FA Cup final last season had we got there !!!!!!!...........I was on honeymoon...
  • Options
    Definately the playoff final.

Was not allowed a ticket as I was accused of being a Mackem.

How very dare they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ipswich away in the play offs, and the Arsenal 1-0 at Christmas in 2000
  • Options
    Rothers

Think that Arsenal game was New Years day.
    I went to that game.
    That was a quality performance.
  • Options
    Palace away Dennis in the last minute.

I arranged to take a girl out I'd fancied a bit of for ages on the day and didn't realise it clashed. The first and only time I've ever neglected CAFC for a woman as I was a bit disillusioned at the time. Had dinner in a pub in Maidstone looking over her shoulder for much of the first half then having to come clean and try and explain what it meant to me and was greeted with a blank look. I thought 'sod it, I'm not missing this' and took her over to a group of Palace fans and made her watch Deano save the divers pen, and then me go apeshit when Dennis scored and have a fight with the Palace lads.

I forgot to pay for the food, got slung out but all was okay. We didn't stay together long but she loved telling her mates about that!!!
  • Options
    Leeds play off matches
    Ipswich play off games
    Blackburn away FA cup victory
    Curbs last home game in charge.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The play-off final :-(
    I broke my leg the day before playing football and was in hospital for a week.
  • Options
    Ipswich play off games...............work grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Play off final - went to the Ipswich games and several games towards the end of that season but I wasn't a regular at that stage and couldn't get a ticket. Watched in a pub in Swansea with my missus - a bunch of neutrals and one Sunderland bloke with his missus on the other side - I looked at him plenty and him at me no doubt but I don't think we exchanged a single glance ... let alone a word - and he left smarter than Ms Whiplash's arse. Everyone else kept telling me it was the best game they had ever seen :-)
  • Options
    I went to every game of the play-off final season so missing it was very very difficult.
  • Options
    Leeds play off games (work)

Full Members Cup Final (Daughters 2nd Birthday and family party)

First game back (couldn't get a ticket probably morally right in that I only went to Selhurst a couple of times a season but my boss got one despite not having attended a match since Keegan's last game. Still have to look after the important people!)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]As said before, i'm out the country this weekend and just cannot get my head around it.

I'd like to go on record and publicly apologise to AFKA as I'm the reason that he's missing the West Ham game...I'm dragging him off to Barcelona for my stag do. Profuse apologies AFKA. It's a good job Spurs lost the Carling Cup semi as I would have missed the final as well...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have been thinking long and hard on this and honestly don't think I've missed a "big" game since something like Spurs away in the cup - 1984/85?
  • Options
    not missed any of the games mentioned. Both Leeds play off games were scary. For the one at Elland Road we were in a pen with Leeds fans each side. For the game at St Andrews I remember being supremely confident even when 1-0 down. I remember 'jimmymelrose' being unconvinced when, with ten minutes to go, I predicted we'd still win. Think I've never run so fast as we did back to the coach. Last big game I missed must have been 1947 Cup Final (excused because I wasn't born till '63).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]As said before, i'm out the country this weekend and just cannot get my head around it.

I'd like to go on record and publicly apologise to AFKA as I'm the reason that he's missing the West Ham game...I'm dragging him off to Barcelona for my stag do. Profuse apologies AFKA. It's a good job Spurs lost the Carling Cup semi as I would have missed the final as well...

which reminds me, i'll start a new discussion....
  • Options
    First game back at Valley, due to playing football.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ipswich away in the play-off semi in '87.
    it was 0-0 and i was on holiday in yugoslavia.
    and spanners in the snow. i just couldn't bare the thought of them doing us again so i wandered about eltham with my walkman on jumping like a loon.
  • Options
    England V West Germany, Wembley 1966. It was the World Cup final and we won 4-2 (aet). My mum's cousin Val got married to Frank that day so all my family missed it.
    I was only 10 months old and stayed at my Nan's for the day. Can't even say I watched on telly without knowing. She didn't have a telly.
  • Options
    1947 Cup Final
    (no, I'm not really that old - just kidding!)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]ipswich away in the play-off semi in '87.
    it was 0-0 and i was on holiday in yugoslavia.
    and spanners in the snow. i just couldn't bare the thought of them doing us again so i wandered about eltham with my walkman on jumping like a loon.

Isn't mentioning big game and Spanners an oxymoron?:-)
  • Options
    Leeds play off game at St Andrews.I had booked a holiday (my first abroad) with a load of non charlton mates to go to Corfu months before and did not for one minute think we would be involved play off let alone a third game!!
  • Options
    I missed the World Cup Final in 66 as well...i was 6 months old and slept all the way through..even extra time...my dad was chuffed to bits :)