Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dreamland, Margate

Had many a good day in there when I was a kid. Drove past it on Saturday and it all looked pretty sad - the only thing left is the old "Scenic Railway" (which I understand is listed, and therefore can't be demolished). Did a little bit of research and it turns out that developers have got hold of it and are looking to redevelop hence running the old theme park into the ground.

Anyone remember the old Water Chute, the massive big wheel, the Mary Rose, the Looping Star, etc? Happy, happy days.

Comments

• Options
    Had many great days out down there. The looping star was the first ever rollercoaster i went on. Remember having your hand stamped so that you could go back in and then after a dip in the sea it had gone!!! lol
  • Options
    Lots of memories from that place. Scenic Railway, the indoor cinema thing, Big Wheel, Mary Rose, Looping Star, the Big Apple....

Funniest thing was that the Scenic Railway had an onboard brakeman, that perched on a stool at the back of the train.... Imagine getting that past Health and Safety these days!

Remember when it was called Bembom Brothers?
  • Options
    also remember the magic of walking down that little hill to it with the smell of hot dogs doughnuts etc and the sound of screams from the rides and the whooooooosh of the rollercoaster wheels and the noise of the arcades. All with a kiss me quick hat on!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    Funniest thing was that the Scenic Railway had an onboard brakeman, that perched on a stool at the back of the train.... Imagine getting that past Health and Safety these days!

When I was younger I just assumed that the "brakeman" was par for the course for all roller coasters. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I realise that the lives of my whole family were entrusted to some pikey chav fella on more than one occassion. Scary!!!
  • Options
    Was the scenic railway the old wooden rollercoaster? Whenever I went to Bembom Brothers ( as it was then) with my mates, we always used to try to get seats in the back car because it'd kick up more than the others when you went over the edge of the drop.
  • Options
    I used to go their quite a bit. The Scenic Railway was the first big roller coaster I ever went on. It didn't bother me then. I wont go near them now!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Was the scenic railway the old wooden rollercoaster? Whenever I went to Bembom Brothers ( as it was then) with my mates, we always used to try to get seats in the back car because it'd kick up more than the others when you went over the edge of the drop.

Yep, that's the one. Still there in it's original form if you ever fancied a trip down nostalgia street...
  • Options
    A Carling Black Label ad was filmed on the Scenic Railway when I was there years ago. A fella went round it on his wheelchair. It was great fun watching it all being set up until we realised it meant we couldn't actually go on the ride that day!
  • Options
    Well, seems like the developers have finally done the job on the Scenic Railway... suspected arson attack yesterday has pretty much destroyed it beyond repair.
  • Options
    Shame, sad to see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    used to bunk in over the wall via the multi story car park..............memories
  • Options
    That scenic railway set me up for life when I was about 8 or 9....wont go near a rollercoaster any more.....shame its gone up in flames though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]That scenic railway set me up for life when I was about 8 or 9....wont go near a rollercoaster any more.....shame its gone up in flames though

Bloody hell...it was hardly Busch Gardens....;-)
  • Options
    in the 1960's it was mate ;-)
  • Options
    As the man who started this thread over a year ago I have to say, I'm not surprised.

In fact, the only surprising thing is that it's taken so long for this "accident" to happen.

What a shame. Oh well, on the bright side, if it helps to redevelop and regenerate the area then it can't be a bad thing - better than a bit of derelict land anyway (which, I presume, is what the developer was banking on!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]In fact, the only surprising thing is that it's taken so long for this "accident" to happen.

Yep. Owned by the same bloke who's 'theme park' in Folkestone also went up...
  • Options
    That's modern day coastal kent for you!
    :o)
  • Options
    this fires seem suss, i mean catford dogs looked like being saved untill a fire happened.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]this fires seem suss, i mean catford dogs looked like being saved untill a fire happened.

What do you mean nolly? Do you seriously think that a property developer would run the risk of soiling his otherwise impeccable name in order to make a cheeky few mill??? Shame on you man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was that scenic railway not allowed to be demolished? how strange
  • Options
    "It became a Grade II listed structure in 2003 and is the third oldest wooden roller coaster in the world, and the oldest in the UK"

Quite simply very, very sad.
  • Options
    I am GUTTED!!

From the age 4 I went every summer (7 years) to Bembom Bros on my birthday until 1985 when Alton Towers opened!
    But even after Alton Towers it was back down to Margate every summer.

Only Fools And Horses put it back on the map in the mid 80's with Jolly boy's outing (My all time OFAH episode)

Here are the rides and attractions I remember with a fond heart..........

ENTERPRISE
    BIG WHEEL (THE BIGEST WHEEL IN EUROPE UNTIL ONE WAS BUILT BIGGER IN GERMANY)
    LOOPING STAR
    MARY ROSE
    PIARATE SHIP
    WATER SHOOT
    SCINIC RAILWAY
    APOLLO 13
    LADYBIRD ROLLERCOSTER
    3D CINEMA

Great memorys have come flooding back to me!

Who remembers the penny arcade pier?
  • Options
    was a great day out

first job in the summer used to get to Charing X and say fuck it and all go a train to MArgate plety of times
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]I am GUTTED!!

From the age 4 I went every summer

anyone else read this as 'From the age 41 went every summer' i certainly did i thought however old/young anyone is that cant be that long a time to be going there for!! i should lay orf the spitfire!

Ah bembom brothers, loved the looping star great rollycoaster that always shit me up as a kid!! lol
  • Options
    our first year in the old first division under lennie lawrence we played Aston Villa at home on bank holiday monday.It was the only home game i missed that season as everyone from swanley school went down to margate on the train that day and got lashed up,thems were the days.
  • Options
    Sorry to piss on the parade lads but the place was always a shithole, god knows why a property developer would want anything to do with Margate or that particular part. Had some good leos down Margate but can't honestly say I'll miss the place if I never see it again
  • Options
    you bastard!
  • Options
    Sorry, always prefered Camber myself. Or Tenerife
  • Options
    used to go to the camber raves on the beach in the 90s.