Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beattie Sending off

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Just got this off the Sheff Utd forum - think it's fairly self-explanatory!
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=463&fid=221&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115488090

Comments

• Options
    At least they've got a sense of humour.
  • Options
    They're a decent bunch, the Sheff Utd lads, in general.
    They know their football and have shown respect for where Charlton are from much of what I've read on their site.
  • Options
    Apart from a few comments like this :)

"Have to say my hatred of Chris Powell is growing too.the was he and his staff conduct themselves when they score and how ****y he is in interviews really get to me. Danny handled himself REALLY well in the interview aswell"

"Agreed, I was happy to see a new emerging manager enter the game and start off well, but if he's going to set his teams up for an afternoon of gamesmanship then i would rather he phucked off"

"Charlton are getting as arrogant as QPR last season"
  • Options
    it is good to be able to go onto a forum of one of the sheffield teams where they are not all complaining and making excuses, shame we cant say the same about the wendies
  • Options
    Kermorgant was lucky not to be sent off too but Beattie was an idiot.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It looked as if Kerms only pulled their player's shirt - but it was evident that Beattie attacked Kerms putting both hands around Kerms' throat.

Shirt pulling isn't violent conduct.
  • Options
    Talal 12:13PM
    Apart from a few comments like this :)

"Have to say my hatred of Chris Powell is growing too.the was he and his staff conduct themselves when they score and how ****y he is in interviews really get to me. Danny handled himself REALLY well in the interview aswell"

"Agreed, I was happy to see a new emerging manager enter the game and start off well, but if he's going to set his teams up for an afternoon of gamesmanship then i would rather he phucked off"

"Charlton are getting as arrogant as QPR last season"

I don't understand that first comment at all - how could anyone possibly have a problem with Chris Powell's conduct? He must be out of his mind.
  • Options
    to me it looked as tho kermo was just pulling there player away from russell and beattie over reacted
  • Options
    Kermorgant was 'yanking' the players shirt not pulling. That is classed as violent conduct. He was lucky.
  • Options
    Beatties action would attract a maximum fine if I were his manger. Could easily cost them a point / points which given how tight promotion is going to be could cost United very dear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair to the oppo, our bench do lord it a bit when we score. CP was also "having it large" at the end. Fine by me, but I can see how it would wind oppo fans up.
  • Options
    Forget the "Glasgow kiss" we now have the "Sheffield hug"!
  • Options
    I would have lorded it in front of Wilson
  • Options
    After wilson's world cup winning theatrics down here with swindon I would have thought chris and alex dyer would have had to run into the centre circle and do a rendition of rocking all over the world to upstage that. Wonder what Wilson would have done if they scored at the death? Smiled and waved? I think not!
  • Options
    Powell is at a club that he cares about and celebrates goals, so what compared to others he is all but comatose. Remember Porto's Mourinho against Man U, the younger version of Barry Fry or Martin O'Neill? All far worse
  • Options
    @NorthumberlandAddick Yan Done nothing wrong in my eyes just sticking up for the team.
    if your going to send someone of for a little tug on the shirt, then well thats just pathetic !
  • Options
    yeh dont get where wilson is coming from saying kermogant was as aggressive and deserved a red, he was only separating the player from russel,
    also anyone see the ratings in the mirror pullout, russel got a 6, hollands a 5, pritchard 5, solly and wiggins both 6, duno how any of that is right when russel was on for about 10 and gets more/equal to the others in a win against 2nd place.....hmmm the ratings guy is so talented
  • Options
    It was hardly a little tug of the shirt from Kermorgant!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hope we appeal our one.
  • Options
    Hard be totally sure from the not very HD replay that I saw, but I'd say that the ref in this instance got it about right. As I understand it, even when a player wins the ball if it's a two footed challenge (which it appears to have been) then it's a red. You only need one foot to win the ball so if you use two then there's only one thing the other foot can be for.

Beattie attacked Kermorgant so that's clearly violent conduct, but Yann was just trying to pull the other guy away from Russel, which you see in many games when handbags occur but without any cards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kermorgant was not trying to be the peacemaker. He nearly pulled the bloke over and on another day would have got a yellow card at least. Hope CP has had a word because we cannot afford to lose him.
  • Options
    @NorthumberlandAddick Yann did get booked
  • Options
    Of course I don't want to see any of our players picking up bookings or worse but I'm never terribly bothered by players getting involved in protecting one of their own and sticking together even when the handbags come out. Shows a very high level of commitment and togetherness and nothing wrong with that. You do have to stop short of throttling an opponent though.
  • Options
    Kermorgant was not trying to be the peacemaker. He nearly pulled the bloke over and on another day would have got a yellow card at least. Hope CP has had a word because we cannot afford to lose him.

He did get a yellow card - which was all it deserved.
  • Options
    I saw some one else put a hand in one of our players faces - they were lucky to only have Beatty sent off
  • Options
    There is no dispute, Beattie had to go, had it happened on the street he could be charged with assult. The Russell sending off was almost as diabolical as Hamers' at Orient. The facts are:
    It was a one footed tackle, not two, as proved by the photos on here.
    He won the ball.
    He didn't go over the top or attempt to injure the opponent.
    It was a hard but perfectly good tackle. If you are going to punish such challenges with Red cards then you might as well ban any sliding tackles and only allow standing tackles. It is impossible for Refs to decide whether a tackle is too hard or overly aggressive. So long as the player goes for, and wins the ball with one foot, it should be deemed a fair tackle.
    As I've said before, Refs are ruining the game with all the ridiculous sendings off. Luckily we got away with it yesterday because it happened late in the game and he evened things up by sending off Beattie. Had it happened five minutes into the game it could have had a huge effect on the result and United could be only one point behind us today rather than seven. Do people want to ban hard tackles all together? Perhaps the people on here saying that the Ref was correct should be watching womens football instead!
  • Options
    No need to appeal IMO. We have Stephens and Hughes waiting in the wings. We will lose the appeal as always.
  • Options
    I have watched and watched this and I think Russell was very unlucky to be shown any card. Referee got it badly wrong. The tackle wasn't mis timed or overly aggressive. His studs were showing but given it was a sliding tackle that was reasonable. Shame for Daryl but it's someone else's opportunity.
  • Options
    I agree SHG.
  • Options
    Agree with SHG that its good to see the players sticking up for each other.

Especially when you're playing against opponents with aggressive game plans to try and unsettle us, like both Sheffield teams had.

The way their players piled into Russell, you want to see our lot sticking up for him, without doing anything silly like beattie did.

A lot of things to like about this team.