Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Future Valley Capacity??

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
I've been thinking recently, just how high a potential capacity could we achieve if needed. I've seen the plans that were put together for the extra seats, that would have made the capacity 40,000. Theoretically though how big could we make the Valley?
Obviously this is a speculative idea.

Comments

• Options
    I believe if we stayed in the Prem a couple more years it was going to made to 35,000?
  • Options
    So it's 27,111 at the moment and filling in the SE and SW corners plus re-building the South stand to match the North must make it 40-45,000 surely?
  • Options
    the season we got relegated from the prem,when had the go ahead to make it to 40,000
  • Options
    I can't see too much beyond 40,000 to be honest. I am sure if you double decked the West and East, you could probably go higher. The challenge would be permission in what is ostensibly a residential area.

As present we are struggling to get much over 20,000. I'd settle for selling out the current capacity.
  • Options
    yeh slater said in his interview that that would be reviewed if we were knocking on the door/get back into the prem in a few years, he said the plans were accepted and could have been used had we not been relegated, but theyve expired now, though they could easily be re-granted for up to 40,000 at least..... they would do it in stages to around 30-35 first i think
  • Options
    we got given the planning permision
  • Options
    Steady lads, still a long way to go, we do not want to be running up debt building stands before we are established in the top flight..................look at Darlington & Coventry this week
  • Options

Back in November 2004 Charlton kicked off their initial plans to turn their SE7 home into a 31,000-capacity all-seater stadium, with detailed proposals for a second tier to the east stand and a new south-east quadrant handed to Greenwich Council the following month.

On top of that, the club also revealed its long-term intention to increase the capacity to 40,600, with additional work proposed at the south end of the stadium, the Jimmy Seed Stand.

http://cafc.digital-ink.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=23980&newstype=n
  • Options
    We obtained consent to build up the east stand first, and then finally do the south stand up. Total taking it to 40,000. Can't really see a situation where we would need more than that any time, certainly in the next 20 or 30 years or so.
  • Options
    In Slater's interview he said that the planning permission had run out , normally you need to start work within five years of the permission being granted .

I was concerned a few months ago when there was a debate on here about the sale of some houses which back on to the East stand . There are all sorts of technical issues with Planning law such as the right to light and uninterupted views of parts of London which would possibly make this more difficult now .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the Application was rejected,because of the flat behind the jimmy seed stand that what someone told me?
  • Options
    Look at that graphic, it's glorious.
  • Options
    our owners are rich so we wont ever get in debts
  • Options
    Would have to segregate the Jimmy Seed, far too good just for away fans
  • Options
    No the application was approved. We would be able to get permission again with relative ease.
  • Options
    I would have thought any debt would be in the name of the club not an individual so what happens if they walk away or their business' s run into trouble??
  • Options
    could'nt they move the away supporter so they have half the east then we can have behind both goal use the car park behind the score board to park there coachs
  • Options
    could segregate one of the proposed quadrants off from the other stands and use that as the away fans area like some other PL clubs do
  • Options
    Can't park coaches in the car park because of the potholes.
  • Options
    oh well that my idear out the window make them walk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd love that graphic to become a reality, but first things first.. we have to go collect that League 1 title.. we're going to have to wait at least 6-10 years for this.
  • Options
    I think the superstore needs enlargeing soon cause even with 18-19000 down there its way too packed, you just cant move in there,it would increase reveinue to help get in better players and there wages
  • Options
    I believe that plans were to have the south stand JS stand a triple tiered one? It was MASSIVE when I saw the plans - a bit like the one at St James Park, Newcastle...
  • Options
    "Charlton4life
    our owners are rich so we wont ever get in debts"
    The club will owe money to the owners. They are not a charity and don't just donate money to the club; they lend money to it with the expectation of getting it back. Money is still owed to previous directors but they have waived payment until we get back to the Preniership.
  • Options
    Hey, remember where we were a year ago. If we are promoted, there is no guarantee that the crowds in the Championship would be much different to this season unless we are right at the top again. A cold January evening game at home to Barnsley is only marginally more attractive than Bury if you are in, say, 14th place.
  • Options
    Great plans but I can't see the capacity being increased for a long time, although the new East Stand was going to have an extra row of boxes and only increase the capacity for 3,000 or so, so could happen.
  • Options
    There is no automatic right to renew a planning consent if the material considerations have changed in the meantime. This can be a change in government guidance about land use or something else being built that affects it.
  • Options
    I thought that a major part of the plan was that we'd have to be established in the Premiership, because with our current level of support it's only games against the biggest teams where a bigger capacity would be of use. Getting two promotions is a big "if" in itself, let alone staying there. Even if we do establish ourselves as a Prem team again, it still might not pay, because the economic situation is so different. You never used to see empty seats at prem grounds, but you do now because lots of people can't afford to go. I've got the feeling it'll be a long time before we see The Valley looking like that model.

That said the plans were staged so that building of new sections could take place at different times, so there could be scope for some increase, if not the full-blown development.
  • Options
    On Saturday we were playing the second placed team in what we all recognized was a crucial match, yet we failed to get 21k, leaving us 6k short on our present maximum. And that was with Sheff Utd virtually selling out the Seed stand. Talk of increasing capacity beyond our present level is premature. The owners will not spend money to increase capacity when the reality is that even next season we would be unlikely to fill the ground for more than one or two games at most. There is nothing more disheartening than sitting in a half empty stadium - just ask the Spanners!!
  • Options
    we ve a long way to go before it becomes a real consideration ...perhaps i got carried away with pre match enthusiasm on the site as i was hopeful that we d make beyond 22,000 ..lets get the "one aim" out of the way first