Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth issued with HMRC winding up order (again)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Read today that the European top flight clubs lost a total of £1.3b in 2010 (incl Pompey then) and more than 78% of them paid out more than 100% of their income on salaries alone. No wonder Pompey et al can't find the cash to pay the tax man or their small suppliers!

Clubs cannot continue to trade like this for very much longer surely......can they?
  • Options
    I remember Alan Sugar doing a show about money and football, he was one of the main people that basically got Sky to have the Premiership, meaning there hasn't been a top flight game shown on terestrial TV since... Anyway, he was going into the wages in the top clubs, he was talking to Redknapp and he said he didn't have a clue how much his players were being paid and it was all out of his hands.

I think it's very very easy to get into a financial black hole in the UK leagues with so much resting on your finishing position in the league... Brighton for example took a massive gamble last year with their new stadium, I don't think there was a plan B, with Plan A being full promotion, luckily for them they got it.