Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any busineess thriving at present

Comments

• Options
    Trust me CK, estate agents on the Isle Of Wight are certainly not doing well ..... Turnover 30% of what it was yet running costs gone up :-(
  • Options
    I build boats in my attic. Sales have gone through the roof.
    LOL . Very good
    He's a Hull supporter.
  • Options
    Sewerage is booming at the moment from my end, never been rushed off my feet like i am now, althought alot of traveling at the moment its the money at the end of the month that matters.

where theres sh1t theres money as they say.
  • Options
    My missus works for a solicitors who are part of a debt recovery company.

They are doing very very well
  • Options
    I'm convinced that if the media stopped saying 'we're doomed' companies would spend a bit more.
    I personally hold Robert Peston responsible for the biggest financial collapse in generations.........and I'm only half joking.

Just stop going on about it man!
    I agree entirely. The whole Northern Rock run on the bank was due to his completely irresponsibe reporting. I spoke to one of the most senior central bankers in the country who said he if Peston hadn't broken gone publi about it they could have sorted Northern Rock out as it was a short term liquidity issue.

Peston is such a nasty piece of work.
    Absolutely ludicrous. Northern Rock were completely fucked - and it doesn't matter a blind bit of difference what Robert Peston, the national media or Uncle Tom Cobley said or didn't say about it. It was no more a 'short-term liquidity issue' than the CDO crisis in the US was 'a few bad loans here and there'. Northern Rock and their ilk (and, less specifically, the ridiculous light-touch regulation of them) is largely responsible for the continuation of the recession we're currently in - their profligacy makes banks less likely to lend now - even to customers who have a demonstrated need for the money and guaranteed means to pay it back.
  • Options
    Prisons and estate agents always seem to do well
    A lot of my work (cost consultant, construction industry) was to do with building and extending prisons but that has dried right up - just little refurbs and things now. Luckily some of my other clients (Water, schools, defence) are doing things and as a company generally wea re okay as we did what our chief exec describes as 'bagging a mammoth' last year - i.e, a new huge client - EDF, and they are spend spend spend so if i'm honest then yes, i'm doing alright but know loads in the industry that aren't.
    Do you carry works on behalf of EDF?

Cos the sums they charge our clients for works are ridiculous. Them & UKPN set the rules & tricky to budge them on cost!
    I'm not involved with it myself but we certainly don't do any work for them that would be charged to anybody else. We just tell them how much building things cost and then get them built for them i guess. Thats what we do generally.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm convinced that if the media stopped saying 'we're doomed' companies would spend a bit more.
    I personally hold Robert Peston responsible for the biggest financial collapse in generations.........and I'm only half joking.

Just stop going on about it man!
    I agree entirely. The whole Northern Rock run on the bank was due to his completely irresponsibe reporting. I spoke to one of the most senior central bankers in the country who said he if Peston hadn't broken gone publi about it they could have sorted Northern Rock out as it was a short term liquidity issue.

Peston is such a nasty piece of work.
    Absolutely ludicrous. Northern Rock were completely fucked - and it doesn't matter a blind bit of difference what Robert Peston, the national media or Uncle Tom Cobley said or didn't say about it. It was no more a 'short-term liquidity issue' than the CDO crisis in the US was 'a few bad loans here and there'. Northern Rock and their ilk (and, less specifically, the ridiculous light-touch regulation of them) is largely responsible for the continuation of the recession we're currently in - their profligacy makes banks less likely to lend now - even to customers who have a demonstrated need for the money and guaranteed means to pay it back.
    When the secret papers are released in 25 years time you will see how wrong you were about Uncle Tom Cobley.
  • Options
    Hah. Is he a Bilderberger? :o)
  • Options
    Drug dealer
  • Options
    Paid my 1st cheque this year into the bank today, less than £500. Thats it so far, tho have got a small HSL in Grove Park on saturday and a staircase in Hastings next Friday. Think I may be signing on in Feb....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prisons and estate agents always seem to do well
    A lot of my work (cost consultant, construction industry) was to do with building and extending prisons but that has dried right up - just little refurbs and things now. Luckily some of my other clients (Water, schools, defence) are doing things and as a company generally wea re okay as we did what our chief exec describes as 'bagging a mammoth' last year - i.e, a new huge client - EDF, and they are spend spend spend so if i'm honest then yes, i'm doing alright but know loads in the industry that aren't.
    Do you carry works on behalf of EDF?

Cos the sums they charge our clients for works are ridiculous. Them & UKPN set the rules & tricky to budge them on cost!
    I'm not involved with it myself but we certainly don't do any work for them that would be charged to anybody else. We just tell them how much building things cost and then get them built for them i guess. Thats what we do generally.
    I wasn't being serious
  • Options
    China!

nuff said
  • Options
    Do freelance media recruitment work and have filled a number of positions and have a few more to fill. The advertising industry is always hit very hard during a recession and for this to start picking up is a good sign.
    sandwich board men ?
    Just filling in jobs!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I work as an engineer on East Coast railway and we have just made a £200 million pound profit for the last year . ( health and safety dept request i put a hard hat due to this post ;) )
  • Options
    I work for the government here and i can tell you that lawyers are making a killing on Foreclosures, DUI's, and probate lawyers are doing well, one thing they hàve allowed here thats pissing me off is amusement arcades, they are making loadsamoneeyy, people are idiots here, throwing it all away in the hope they will win a few hundred, my girlfiends aunt works in one and she told me people throw their money for bills into them,,
  • Options
    Australia beer market tough, profits down, but this is all relative and the beer business here is vastly more profitable than in the UK. Makes me wonder why I'm moving back to the UK in a few weeks time!
    ps nice to see Sheps doing well; I used to work for Fremlins on the opposite side of the road (now a Tescos!)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    China!

nuff said
    Exactly, only here teaching ESL but the market is booming, my schools monthly fees are double the average salary of Yangzhou and new students are piling through the door everyday. It would appear many people here are doing very, very well.
  • Options
    And it aint slowing down either, Stu

One bit of good news for the uk is that numbers of chinese students taking their familiies' wealth over there is going up and up as afluence rises and exchange rates become more and more favourable for them
  • Options
    Bet the McDonalds rough your way is thriving as well.
    true, though MCS said your in my car next time as your weight is a fuel guzzler

This is why we have @redarmyse7 in the car with us to Chesterfield as a counter balance. Not sure he will balance out the considerable weight of myself @Plaaayer and @Rothko though , even he ain't that skinny.
  • Options
    Pound Stretcher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Ive got some savings but as the banks are paying next to nothing in interest I would be grateful of any tips of where to put my little nest egg other than the building society.
  • Options
    Eaststandpeter, would suggest if you want a safe place for your money with fairly easy access, and you can invest large lump sums at one times, then give premium bonds a go, been good for me. You can invest up to £30k / person. There was a thread about this some time ago.
  • Options
    You could try Fixed Rate Bonds. 12 month bonds are paying around 3 to 3.20%.
  • Options
    how much would lumping it all on Charlton to get promoted earn you?
  • Options
    15% return on your dough approx
    But if it was to go tits up you'd lose the lot !
  • Options
    Trouble is 3% return or thereabouts taking into the fact that inflation is higher means you are losing money in the bank.The banks have got you over a barrel.
  • Options
    I put my cv up on a couple of different websites about 2 weeks ago, since then without even applying for anything I've had about 15 calls from different companies and agencies, all of them telling me there is quite a lot of work out there so even with GDP contracting it seems there are a number of businesses doing well.
  • Options
    I'm often told that black cabs are a good indicator of the economy and despite being warned that Jan/feb are notoriously poor, I've found my first experience ok.... not much quieter than any other month (here's hoping I haven't put the kybosh on it!!!)
  • Options
    Best time to be a gambler in the current times if you know what you are doing.But I guess that's the same with any job?If you know what you are doing and are good at it the money is there to be earnt.