Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any busineess thriving at present

Comments

• Options
    I know construction in Holland is huge right now, lot of people heading over to cash in on it. Solar panel installation was the job to clean up with for the last 6 month over here.
  • Options
    Chatting to a few people today and all said how quiet it has gone since April. I had a good year last year, found it has changed (again) this year.

The larger orders are still flying in (thank the lord), but the smaller, bread and butter stuff, has totally disappeared.

Wondering if others are finding it similar.
  • Options
    Agreed. Last 3 to 4 weeks since Easter have gone quiet.
  • Options
    One noticable thing since Christmas is nobody is using the telephone, all email.
  • Options
    One noticable thing since Christmas is nobody is using the telephone, all email.
    You mean you still have a telephone in the office?

We've been busier than ever the last 3 months. Mind you, we are stealing business from the overpriced big companies, which means we do well when things are tight
  • Options
    Chatting to a few people today and all said how quiet it has gone since April. I had a good year last year, found it has changed (again) this year.

The larger orders are still flying in (thank the lord), but the smaller, bread and butter stuff, has totally disappeared.

What line of business are you in?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It is very tough and very competitive, it's hard to keep positive and I have been quite down over the last few months but I'm just trying to provide a good service
    to my customers, we are doing a couple of new clubs wanting bespoke mountain biking shirts, very much like the road cycling with logo's everywhere. The ones we have done look the nuts just trying to branch out into different markets, also doing a few rugby 7's kits and am finding we are about £8 a shirt cheaper than branded names using the same material, however the rugby boys prefer the branded names which is frustrating. We made some shirts for a team that won the Las Vegas 7's
  • Options
    I bet people in insolvency practices are rushed off their feet (apologies if that "joke" was already done 48 posts ago).
  • Options
    From people i know yes

A mate owns his own CD duplication Co been constantly busy throughtout the bad times. No nothing dodgy all legit, artist promos, the CD's you get free with mags etc etc

Cousin just opened his second company a year back doing well as is his main company.

Ex Boss , just opened his new toy company to rave reviews time will tell on this one. His other business interests have been steady.

• Options
    Big construction consultancy - we are doing really well, many aren't. We do a lot of the unglamorous stuff which means we normally survive better than most in a recession.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some recruitment firms are really slow, others doing OK - depends on the sectors they serve to a fair extent, and their ability to operate in a tighter market of course.
  • Options
    Company I work for is doing well, plenty of work coming in and allot of tenders out for new work at the moment. They're looking to expand and have just taken on a new Non-Exec Director to help them do it.

Pay reviews are next week and I'm hoping it's reflected in that.

They're always looking to recruite if anyone has Oracle experience.
  • Options
    Not Pedigree Chum, they've got to the retrievers today.
  • Options
    Not all is good another paper manufacturer has folded!
  • Options

What line of business are you in?
    Bespoke Printed Carpet/Flooring for Retail/Film Premieres/Sporting Events etc.

• Options
    I work for a Estate Agents, we sell at the top end of the market, we are doing really well, profits are up for us, and we are opening new branches all the time.
  • Options
    I work for a Estate Agents, we sell at the top end of the market, we are doing really well, profits are up for us, and we are opening new branches all the time.
    Top end is holding out, but even that isn't as relaxed as it once was.
  • Options
    Finding we are really busy on the tools but a lot is back log from the bad weather. tenders coming in for roofing are very quiet.
  • Options
    Bit random but if any of you are working for Solar Energy Savings, I really really really am not interested, please dont ring anymore, even if your business if thriving and you are offering me a spectacular deal, I could not be less interested, in fact I enjoy lighting £20 notes on my loft and burning them just to spite you.....

Back to the thread, my tour company is doing very well (and we dont cold call)
  • Options
    I work in sales -and. For every good day - 3 strugglers follow - but I am working - laughing- and support charlton -
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Had 2 days work in the last 4 weeks.

• Options

No offence MOG, but I tried giving you my carpeting job on several occasions.
  • Options
    We have grown from 5 staff to 12 in a year. My business though is "hit" driven and if we had a hit it could be excellent times - however, if we acquire a film, spend too much to acquire it and it doesn't do as well as we'd hoped, then you're left with a big dent in your forecasts and cashflow so for us it's about steady, organic growth with the idea of looking for small equity investment to underpin the business' viability.
  • Options
    Exhibitions at the moment are very poorly attended at the moment, so I've used the money for a show employing a new sales person.
  • Options
    Started a wireless internet company here in Dublin 3 years ago when everything here was going tits up. didn't take a wage for the first year and a half (Mrs scidbox kept us just above water). Worked my ass off 12 - 14 hrs a day and we now turn over 650k a year and are growing about 10% a quarter (2 of us and 2 employees) my only holiday in the last 3 years was a weekend to watch Carlton - Brentford 10/11 season due to no cash and i don't think i will take one in the next 2 years due to no time.
    Also the band (The Cujo Family) are going strong with new single released last week (Free on bandcamp) and new album out next month.
    Keep the faith all out there and something will always come good.
    COYR
  • Options
    Some diverse opinions on here, as you might expect.
    Personally speaking I think the UK is in denial, but compared to certain parts of the world we are still lacking in addressing key issues such as investment, releasing funds for key business startups, and long term planning in roads, schools, hospitals. Good luck to people making a profit, I have no issues with rewarding success, but I still feel the banking /financial sector are largely concerned with short term investment, and seem to think that the bonus culture is a right, not a reward for exceptional performance. Take broadband for instance, there was a feature on tv last night that stated some parts of the UK will not receive broadband because it is too expensive. Of course that is taken from the perspective of the company supplying the service, not the cost to the country or the business in that part of the community. It really is like asking what are your living costs, and then ignoring housing costs, energy costs, and travel. Bit like the unemployment statistics pretty meaningless form people not actually working of working age because of the tick box mentality of the data requested.
  • Options

No offence MOG, but I tried giving you my carpeting job on several occasions.

Sent you "inbox".
    ;-)
  • Options
    Spelling tutor..
  • Options
    Just back from Le Mans. Two Ferrari's at the campsite - one belongs to a guy who owns a marina and the other one belongs to a deep sea diver who works on oil rigs when there's a problem. One of those guys is a nice guy who got lucky, the other one works in incredibly dangerous conditions, both of them earn shedloads of dosh - who am I to say which one is more deserving?

Ok, it's the diver. ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Just back from Le Mans. Two Ferrari's at the campsite - one belongs to a guy who owns a marina and the other one belongs to a deep sea diver who works on oil rigs when there's a problem.

Bet the diver keeps his money offshore ;-)