Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker interview in today's edition of Sport

So people are starting to see Scotty in the way we did years ago! Nice interview although I grimaced reading the line: "He remained at The Valley perhaps longer than he should, until £10M of Roman Abramovich's riches finally took him west to Chelsea". We were top 4 then, why in the eyes of that journo wouldn't he have stayed. I guess I'm still bitter about after all this time.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    because these journalists see Charlton as a league 1 nobodies rather than former premier league. He reads the history of Parker before interviewing him and sees oh he left charlton to go to chelsea? that was smart, well spotted Chelsea! His history transcript didn't include the fact that Charlton were above Chelsea at the time, nor does it read that Scott got capped for England playing for us then spent the rest of the season benched at Stamford bridge and lost his cap. Going to Chelsea was a very bad move, lucky for him Newcastle rescued him.

• Options
    "because these journalists see Charlton as a league 1 nobodies rather than former premier league." I think you got it in one there sadiejane. There was an extensive piece on Paulo Di Canio in yesterdays Daily Malice. It listed the clubs he had played for. I know I am getting on and maybe losing it, but he did play for us-Didn't he???
  • Options
    Was Parker capped when he played for us ? I thought it was just after he left as I thought Powell was the only player in recent times to be capped for England while playing for Charlton ?
  • Options
    Was Parker capped when he played for us ? I thought it was just after he left as I thought Powell was the only player in recent times to be capped for England while playing for Charlton ?
    Powell, Parker, Konchesky, Young and Bent spring to mind.

• Options
    Still cant beleive Paul Konchesky has England caps to his name.
  • Options
    Still cant beleive Paul Konchesky has England caps to his name.
    I dont think Konchesky is/was as bad as some make out.
    Top flight player for many years and broke into our team aged 16. I agree not as good as Powell but I've seen worse play left back for England.
    Remember Taylor's England and going to a European finals without a recconised left back? I think Phil Babb slotted in there.
  • Options
    There was a piece in The Portugal Resident - English language weekly newspaper - about Lee Bowyer, who has a place near here, donating a large sum of money to a local orphanage. It described him as "Former Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham and Birmingham player".

• Options
    Enough water has flowed under the bridge to look at this a little more dispassionately. It is clear to me that Parker left the Valley a little too early. Not only did going to Chelsea damage us, but also put his career back years. The year he left he was voted young player of the year - which was solely for his efforts with us- when he went to Chelsea he did not play every week and when he did he was played out of position.

At that time Arsenal were seeing the end of the Viera ,Petit era and Man Utd Keane - from his professional perspective he should have stayed with us -impressing all around him and I think he would have got a move to one of those clubs in the summer or possibly the next winter. But he would have moved with the sort of CV that would have assured him of a place in the side - rather than a bit part player. He went to a club with similar players ahead of him in the queue and his career took off when he left them, although fair to say injury issues didn't help.

Some journos know nothing, although I doubt Parker will ever admit he made a mistake - which he most definitely did IMHO.
  • Options
    Enough water has flowed under the bridge to look at this a little more dispassionately. It is clear to me that Parker left the Valley a little too early. Not only did going to Chelsea damage us, but also put his career back years. The year he left he was voted young player of the year - which was solely for his efforts with us- when he went to Chelsea he did not play every week and when he did he was played out of position.

At that time Arsenal were seeing the end of the Viera ,Petit era and Man Utd Keane - from his professional perspective he should have stayed with us -impressing all around him and I think he would have got a move to one of those clubs in the summer or possibly the next winter. But he would have moved with the sort of CV that would have assured him of a place in the side - rather than a bit part player. He went to a club with similar players ahead of him in the queue and his career took off when he left them, although fair to say injury issues didn't help.

Some journos know nothing, although I doubt Parker will ever admit he made a mistake - which he most definitely did IMHO.
    Depends on your definition of mistake.

In pure football terms you are spot on of course but financially....
  • Options
    I suspect financially too - he would have lost a year of Chelsea Money in the short term, but I think would have spent more time overall in a top four side with the financial rewards that brings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible misjudgement by Parker. I felt at the time that Chelsea's move was as much about stopping us as getting Parker for their side. He was stuffed out on the wing and he was like a little boy lost. As others have said, a lot of water has flowed and I am pleased for him that he is now doing what he does best in a successful team.
  • Options
    Charltonkeston

Phill Babb was an Ireland international.
  • Options

I knew Konchesky was young but not that he was bent.
  • Options
    Charltonkeston

Phill Babb was an Ireland international.
    Yep, maybe thing were worse then I thought ;-)
  • Options

During this summer's transfer window there was speculation that Gary Glitter might buy shares in Aston Villa. Apparently he heard that their front line would be Young, Bent and Kean.

gets coat

• Options
    The game Konchesky played was against Australia, Jeffers scored in that game but not sure if he was with us at the time.
  • Options
    In some small way I hope Scotty remembers us with a fondness for giving him the opportunities which have ultimately led him to be where he is today... the best box to box midfielder in the country.
  • Options
    Parker cried and begged to leave Charlton ---- it was all about financial security
  • Options
    Definitely water under the bridge now and he remains the finest I've ever seen play for Charlton-I'd clap him if he ever plays at the Valley again, although I may be in a minority!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I would not clap him -- good player and was outstanding at times at the Valley - but he went about his departure the wrong way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    The man who signed three five year contracts in the space of twelve months.......so much for loyalty!!
  • Options
    Loyalty and football don't go together though do they? Although he didn't cover himself in glory when he left, I prefer to focus on the good times.
  • Options

During this summer's transfer window there was speculation that Gary Glitter might buy shares in Aston Villa. Apparently he heard that their front line would be Young, Bent and Kean.

gets coat

I don't get the joke.

Why would a Hetrosexual peadophile be interseted in a player called Bent?

• Options
    Id forgive him and even clap him if he ever just admitted now its been years that it was a mistake leaving Charlton so early to go to Chelsea or that he regretted it atleast a little.
  • Options
    He left and then our good times slowly went 2 years later we started our slide..... he stayed who knows what would have happened and who we would have attracted.

Will Tottenham be his last Club > doubt it

• Options
    The slide was caused by lots of things but I don't count Parker leaving as one of them because we finished seventh that season and had another few good years in the premiership including the season where we started like a house on fire with Bent and Murphy in the team.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I believe (but of course will never be able to prove) that if we had kept Parker we would have come 4th that year. Having said that, we wouldn't have been able to keep him in the Summer if that had happened and he was pretty irreplaceable so things wouldn't have changed beyond us playing in the Champions league the following season and probably going out in the preliminary round.
  • Options
    The slide was caused by lots of things but I don't count Parker leaving as one of them because we finished seventh that season and had another few good years in the premiership including the season where we started like a house on fire with Bent and Murphy in the team.

See your point -- Just think he let us down

• Options
    Disagree Muttley - had we got into Europe that year our history would've been entirely different - we'd have had more money and attracted some decent players, etc. Bit like wondering what the music scene would be like had Hendrix lived - we'll never really know.
  • Options
    You could be right Saga- just trying to convice myself! Probably best not to think about it too much.