Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker interview in today's edition of Sport

2»

Comments

• Options
    In fairness, footballing mistake yes.
    But the money he would have made out of it would be to much for any of us to turn down. We do all something forget about this. For us Charlton is everything for him Charlton was simply an employer paying him "X" amount per week.
    How many of us would move to a competitor company if they offered "X" amount more pay plus a big upfront payment for saying yes?

I do like the fact he is playing so well. I do miss him in the team, yes. But things for us and for him look much better, these days. Good luck and long may it continue.
  • Options
    Not if you had faith in your ability to get something better. Must admit though - difficult for a young lad to make a decision like that to be fair, needed good advice but agents for the most part just see the money!
  • Options
    Terrible misjudgement by Parker. I felt at the time that Chelsea's move was as much about stopping us as getting Parker for their side. He was stuffed out on the wing and he was like a little boy lost. As others have said, a lot of water has flowed and I am pleased for him that he is now doing what he does best in a successful team.
    Wasn't he offered £50 grand a week compared to the contract he had with us which was around £15K? Or was he on more than that with us? If somebody came alone and quadrupled my salary to do the same job, I wouldn't hang about moving for more money.

• Options
    Jayajosh is right that he moved for the money (and I can't blame him for that.) My reference to misjudgment was his moving to Chelsea rather than a club where he would have played in his best position. They simply wanted to undermine us by taking our most influential player - and they succeeded.
  • Options
    We will ever see the glory years of seventh again?
  • Options
    I think it is possible, but of course it will be the same old story, If we get to a similar position the big boys will nab our best players so impossible to sustain unless some Russian billioanire buys us. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it though!
  • Options
    I don't think I can forgive Parker for signing a 5 year contract, and then leaving when we were 4th in the table - probably denying me the only chance I'll ever get to see us compete in Europe. He saw big money and left (is £15k small money?). He was talented enough and must have known he could pick his club and the big money at the end of the season or a later point. His move was pure greed.

I can forgive and forget most things, but not this.
  • Options
    Just want to clinch seventh again...maybe last game at bolton or somewhere
  • Options
    Well I take the opposite view to SX. I can absolutely understand why he was lured away. He had created a great impression by his performance especially against Chelsea. They had been sniffing around the previous summer.

A footballers career is a short one. You never know if you are going to get another opportunity or find yourself crocked.

He made a poor footballing decision by joining perhaps the one club that had such a strong midfield group that mean't he may not be an automatic choice. I think this held him back and he has as a result far fewer international caps that he should.

The most astonishing thing for me is that Wenger never came after him. He is absolutely the kind of player they need to anchor their midfield but apparently it is said that Wenger doesn't think he's good enough technically!

For me, he is without doubt, the best player we have produced in my lifetime and that includes Mike Bailey, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot and Billy Bonds.
  • Options
    Agree with Bing. Best player to come through in all my 50 years supporting. I too can see why he went but I think he was conned a bit. Could have anchored any midfield in the premier league but ironically that move to Chelsea set him back. Great little player and still is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I can see why he went but I can't see why his advisers didn't warn him that Chelsea was not the right club and it wasn't the right time. This was pretty obvious at the time and no bias in that comment. If you imagine we finished 4th that year as I think we would have. Keane left in the Summer - would not Sir Alex have had a very serious look at the young player of the year who had taken a team like Charlton to the Champions league. Arsenal lost Petite, would Wenger not have done the same? He was badly represented and informed.
  • Options
    I don't think I can forgive Parker for signing a 5 year contract, and then leaving when we were 4th in the table - probably denying me the only chance I'll ever get to see us compete in Europe. He saw big money and left (is £15k small money?). He was talented enough and must have known he could pick his club and the big money at the end of the season or a later point. His move was pure greed.

I can forgive and forget most things, but not this.
    Do you think the club played a blinder by making him look like the bad guy , I was angry at the time but sometimes we never get told the truth, I've heard the story of Parker running off the pitch after a 2-0 win with his hair still wet , and asking for a transfer, it's all water under the bridge as some have said , roll forward 5 years , change the numbers and name and it could probably happen again.

• Options
    The whole point is that Parker was on a roll with us. There had been speculation that he would go the previous summer. Other clubs were sniffing around. He then signed an enhanced 5 year contract pledging his loyalty.

But then Abramovich offered the rubles and Parker went for the money. He wasn't in his swansong. There were plenty of years ahead of him to make his millions. Without doubt his career would would have benefitted by staying at The Valley.

But Parker isn't the only youngster seduced by the money. I suspect Bostock would have made more money and had a better career if he had stayed at Palace a bit longer and not gone for immediate cash at Spurs.

But it was Parker's move that cost me my European dreams.
  • Options
    If we can learn a lesson , to me it shows me that if you want to own a club and compete in the premiership you need to have some serious dough behind you so you can afford to turn down silly money for your best players, and always build on and improve on what you've got each season, or you go backwards.
  • Options
    If we can learn a lesson , to me it shows me that if you want to own a club and compete in the premiership you need to have some serious dough behind you so you can afford to turn down silly money for your best players, and always build on and improve on what you've got each season, or you go backwards.

Agree but ultimately the players have the power. From the moment Chelsea unsettled Parker by waving wads of cash Scott's Charlton career was over. If we had the might to rebuff their advances Scott was still set on going and there was little we could do to stop him. Once a player wants out they are not interested.
  • Options
    The game Konchesky played was against Australia, Jeffers scored in that game but not sure if he was with us at the time.
    I'm pretty sure Konchesky was also the left back in the game against Argentina in Switzerland when we won 3-2 but without wiki i cant be certain

As for Parker i feel its a shame Balotelli missed. joking... maybe
  • Options
    I suspect Bostock would have made more money and had a better career if he had stayed at Palace a bit longer and not gone for immediate cash at Spurs.
    you're guessing that but he may have become pony at palace like he is now and will have turned down the opportunity to have earnt big bucks which may or may not have come staying at palace by going to spurs the FACT is he set himself up

just like by parker going to chelsea he set himself for a better life at the time and that was a FACT everything else is speculation and hindsight
  • Options
    For those willing to forgive & forget fine......for those who think differently, when he retires & looks back on his career he will know that he made a monumental fuck up by refusing to play another game for us & demanding a transfer to chelski. As has been pointed out, in the summer top clubs would have been competing for his signature, he could have chosen the right club instead of the only one that offered him huge wages in January. His trophy cabinet will hold his young player of the year trophy & his recent player of the year + a few england caps. Not bad but where he could have had champions medals & cup winners medals & even possibly european medals he's got nothing.
    For his extra 30k a week he wasted his talent & i have to say that I'm delighted he hasn't got the medals & caps that he should have won in his career, still why should he care, he's a rich man!
  • Options
    Very little loyalty in football Charltonbob , Parker as you say will console himself by looking at his bank balance.
  • Options
    I can't even read this thread. Like the parkinson threads. Been done to death.

That young man left us for money and stalled his career. He should've stayed five months more and we would've all been happy.

One day as said many times I hope Scott says "I regret leaving Charlton when I did."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton fans, some of the best hindsight analysts there have ever been
    He couldn't turn the opportunity down at the time because it was a lifetime changing move for him and his family 15k pw or 45k pw ....
    Look at mendonca having to sell his medals cos of cash flow problems
    no one knows at the time what the future holds it's all guesswork but for parker he knew that leaving charlton was gonna secure him and his family an easier future and that was a FACT because of the contract on offer
    I understand his reasons and hated it happening more than most cos I enjoyed us smashing it up in the boring premiershit
    But if you can't see why he did it at the time and reckon that in his boots at that time you'd have done different then fairplay , obviously the runt could have gone about engineering the move with a bit more class but corinthian values left football with the lifting of the maximum wage
  • Options
    I don't think we will ever get over losing our key player half way through our best season since the early 50's nor the manner of his going.
    Whether he did what was right for him and whether it was with hindsight a wrong move is secondary to the disappointment we felt/feel as Charlton fans seeing our realistic shot at a top 4 finish come apart at the seams
    To us it was a lot more than losing our best player it was the feeling that our forward momentum as a club had been critically undermined.
    I don't think I'm overstating it's significance, and though I am speaking with hindsight the feeling was there at the time
  • Options
    When he was at his best with us. it was like having 12 men on the pitch.
  • Options
    Yes, we are debating Parker making the wrong decision in the context that he is today a very rich and successful man. He can hardly look back on himself being a failure. But if I was his agent at the time, and I'm not using the benefit of hindsight here- I am confident that he would be looking back on an even more glittering and lucrative career. Knowing that with 100% certainty is my revenge- whether Parker choses to acknowledge it or not.

He has paid the price and the water has well and truly flowed under that bridge, so I no longer bear him any ill will. I certainly won't boo him like I did the last time he played against us. My anger has cooled over the years. If he writes an autobiography as a more mature man, it would be interesting to really know what he thinks. If he does think going to Chelsea was a good move, he remains delusional!
  • Options
    To be fair, it was only a footballing mistake for him when the manager who brought him to Chelsea got sacked a few months later and replaced by Mourinho. Have I remembered that wrongly?
  • Options
    I think Oohaa has nailed this one from my perspective.