Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite TV Commentators or Co-Commentators

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Just wondering who people like or respect (or who think are dreadful)?

I've always been a fan of Martin Tyler, for me he is always fair, doesn't feel the need to talk non stop and isn't condescending to lower opposition. (Thought it a ludicrous move by Sky a few years back when Ian Darke took over as the main man).

Now watching the games from America you get a real mixed bag of English commentators covering the Premier League......for todays Liverpool game it was Guy Mowbry and Stewart Robson and they were a fine pairing.

For the negative.... Barry Davies on BBC sounds like a School Head master and I've never really liked Alan Parry. And Jonathan Pearce still doesn't sound right on the TV!

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Have never liked Martin Tyler since he did the commentary for the Charlton v Spurs FA Cup replay on Midweek Sports Special back in the mid-80's (84?). No idea why, just something about the tone of his voice rather than what he says.

Tony Gubba always used to be value. He's always get some sh*te lower division game to commentate on, but he always seemed to do a good job. Didn't he do the commentary on our cup win at Harlow that time? (when Hales scored from down by the corner flag)
  • Always like Don Goodman when he co-commentates, always interesting and knowledgable.
    But Gary Birtles always talks sh*te and comes across as a bias twonk imo.
  • Think Martin Tyler takes some beating. He was in the West Stand watching the Huddersfield match. Ray Wilkins seems to be a reasonable pundit as well.

Agree with the comment about Birtles. Can't stand his comments.
  • The very best co-commentator of all time was Trevor Brooking!

I am up for any co-commentator who doesn't do an impression of a co-commentator... which is when they could effectively just make a noise, as long as it follows the speech patterns and pitch of an opinion. While Don Goodman makes a lot of sense, he does that annoying summing-up tone.

I like all Sky commentators, and I don't think Ian Darke was ever made the main man, rather, Sky decided to not have a main pairing so much, and split the 'big' games between their best 4 commentators/ co-commentators. They still do.

Tyler is probably the best of the lot, but he does bother me when he does that "RooNNNEEEYYYY!" (insert name here) thing, particularly when it doesn't result in a goal. It's almost as if he has one eye on another bloody Sky compilation show.
  • Most of the modern lot talk too much - we can see the action FFS.
    I like Martin Tyler. Used to like David Coleman and Barry Davies.
    Absolutely can't stand Alan Parry with his nasal whine; his stating the obvious and his creaming himself over certain individuals.
    Agree that Birtles is a berk, although he'd have to go some to be a bigger twat than Big Ron as a co-comentator.
    Used to hate Brian Moore; more for his sucking up to the likes of Malcolm Allison and his unrestrained pessimism when covering England.
    Tony Gubba was rubbish at football commentary
  • Watching the Arsenal game has reminded me I like ESPN's Derek Rae
    Doesn't get hysterical; tells you stuff that enhances the viewing and doesn't spout cliches
  • I like Jim Beglin's analysis. Hate Hanson & Lawrence with a passion.
  • Love Barry Davies!

Tyler is good too.

Worst: Clive 'That Night in Barcelona/Istanbul/Berlin/Skegness' Tyldesley.
    And Jonathan Pearce's monotone, nasal grunt is pretty unpleasant to listen to.
  • Worst for me was John Helm who did the play-off game v Leeds. The most biased commentary I have ever heard. I'm sure he was wondering how Charlton had the nerve to show up against mighty Leeds!

Pretty sure he turned up as a guest of Halifax in our cup game earlier in the season.
  • John Motson has got to be the greatest surely?

Don't like Alan Smith - his voice grates on me.

I liked it better when the commentators were journos and gave a report, rather than bigging it up coz we're paying through the nose for Sky TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• John Helm was doing the commentary the day of the Bradford Fire Disaster. Have a listen to it on YouTube and you might change your mind about him.

To be fair about the Leeds play-off game, he was working for Yorkshire TV at the time - and I seem to recall that nobody from Thames/LWT (or whoever) were very interested as it was "only" us. His commentary that night will leave with me for ever ...... "Ohhh, and it's the goal that could well have preserved first division football for Chorlton Athletic - and it's Peter Shirtliff again!"

Goosebumps!

• Barry Davies was brilliant, no one will be better than him.

Worst, Andy Gray.

Got to say i'm enjoying Roy Keane as a pundit at the moment. Especially as his death stare silences the clueless and moronic Adrian Chiles.
  • Helm came down to the Trafalgar Tavern for a British Brain and Spine Foundation fund raiser MOG and me organised 10 years after the event. Good bloke and told some very funny stories.

Some bloke called Varney was working for the BB&SF then. Whatever happened to him?
  • Tony Gubba is now doing the voiceovers on Dancing on Ice. Glad he's finally got a lucrative gig.
  • Off_it / Henry - wasn't questioning the man, just the commentary. From our point of view, it was a shame LWT didn't have a commentary.

I know he did the Bradford game and had to report as that tragic day unfolded. As I say, I was only speaking of the game against us in terms of commentary.
  • Makes it even better though doesn't it TelMc32? Not only were we horrendously outnumbered and they were gifted a moody free kick by the ref, but EVEN the commentator was on their side. And we still won.
    :o)
  • Not really a commentator, but James Richardson. The Neviller does a decent job and Wolstenholme was good but I find most of them utterly hopeless. Detest Motty and Tyldesley and Alan Green are particularly crap.
  • It does indeed mate! We've never done it the easy way have we! :)
  • Tyldesley seems to have stopped using the word 'ironic'. Someone, not Alanis Morissette, must have explained the meaning to him.
  • It's weird....Motty has been doing TV forever but I much much prefer him on 5live.

Another guy who I really like (find him quite funny) is the Sky fella who covers the live Scottish games.....can't remember his name though?

For the Arsenal v Villa game today in the US we had Tyler teamed up with former Addick Matt Jackson and he did really well.
  • Sponsored links:

• liking gary neville as a pundit.

alna smith is a decent co-commentator.

marcel desailly funniest person to give his views on a game. not a clue.
  • Much as I dislike Scottish football, roddy forsyth is a decent commentator
  • Barry Davies for me.
  • Cannot abide the punditry of Shearer. Irrational but I detest the bloke.
  • Eddie waring and Stuart hall on its a Knockout .........pure magic

Jeff Stelling -some great one liners -- when the tottenham striker Mido got sent off his quip " can confirm Mido does walk like an egyptian " superb

Soccer Saturday - makes good viewing ( more so when your winning )

Gary Neville talks a lot of sense

Birtles - Collymore - Chiles ( totally clueless ) -Tylesley - motd and Champioship presenters - for the life of me can not work out how and why they are doing the job they do - so poorly and are called experts in some cases.

I would get rid of all the so called experts - save money and perhaps spend it on showing more lower league football
  • There was one match a couple of years ago where the co-commentator was making his first appearance and at one point started doing the main commentator's job rather than just analysing which was quite funny. Think it was on itv but can't remember who the guy is.
  • Gary Neville took a thoroughly surprising and unwelcome place in my list of favourite commentators with his comment on David Luiz which was something along the lines of "He looks like he's being controlled by a 10-year old with a games console".
  • edited January 2012
    John Taylor on Rugby Union
    Christopher Martin-Jenkins on Cricket
    Don Goodman and Gary Neville as Football 'pundits'
    Martin Tyler .. needs to pause for breath now and then and leave out the stats and anecdotes
    I'll go for John Champion as a good football commentator
  • I loved Freddie Truman on Indoor League.