Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New BBC Web design

BBC have launched a new design for the sports pages on the web, anyone else that the relaunch is more of a cut the cost exercise, its in serious danger of moving in the direction of the Football league designs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

Comments

• Options
    Don't like it old one much better
  • Options
    the old one was better as it had all the leagues down the left hand side
  • Options
    They have been redesigning the site for a while, BBC are rolling out a redesign accross the whole of the website.
    It's no secret the BBC are cost cutting nearly every aspect of their services. The biggest shame is that so many people are set to loose their jobs, I know dozens of decent folk who will be out of their job within 18 months.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's disgusting - thought I'd got onto a Norwich site by accident!
    MUCH harder to get from the front page to the lower leagues now - you need to navigate a bloody drop-down which is murder on a mobile!
  • Options
    Complaints ...er, comments can be made here : http://ecustomeropinions.com/survey/survey.php?sid=878133413
  • Options
    Just added some 'feedback' for them to chew over...

The BBC's pathalogical hated of non-Premiership football was already obvious to anyone who tries to watch the Football League Show. Was it also necessary to remove all reference to non-Premiership leagues from it's Football webpage?!

But seriously - the drop-down to access non-Premiership pages :

a) It easily confusable with the other, more visible non-Premiership drop-down, which just shows the fixtures. (to get the league table there's ANOTHER drop-down!)
    b) Once realising 'that's not it', it took several minutes to find - buried admidst in the visual cacophony, like an embarrassment you hope no-one will notice
    c) For mobile users, what used to take 1 click, now takes 4

General comments :

Was the colour scheme chosen in honour of the "For Dummies" books the designers were reading to make it? I'm glad I don't have a hangover..
    Far too busy and visually confusing

Whatever happened to "If it's not broken, don't fix it"?

• Options
    They have also ditched the league predictor which at this time of year is used by a lot of fans.
  • Options
    I tend to look at this site on a daily basis. The first time I saw the new look was definitely a WTF moment. Absolutely hate it.
  • Options
    Filled out the survey as the new site is just terrible!! Too cluttered and what's with the colours?
  • Options
    They really do need to update their pages more quickly. Someone could check this page and think our game was still on today. Last updated yesterday at at 13.52

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16778901
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems more Premier-centric than ever before.

What I liked about the old site was there was a semblance of democracy,in that it was (almost) as easy to link your team if you were a Charlton supporter (or Crawley/Gillingham/insert any team you like) as if you were a Man U supporter.

That no longer seems to be the case. The design of the new site is built around a hard-nosed analysis of what gets most 'hits' -i.e. the big premiership clubs. Understandable, perhaps ,in commercial terms. But a shame, nevertheless.
  • Options
    If they're supposed to be cutting costs why have they spent time/money re-designing something that didn't need it?

How does that save money? Don't get it.
  • Options
    Designed for tablets and not PCs
  • Options
    I like it ...
  • Options
    Don't like one feature in particular. Before, you could instantly click between divisions to get latest scores - now you seem to have to click 'update'. That's hopeless
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They have been redesigning the site for a while, BBC are rolling out a redesign accross the whole of the website.
    It's no secret the BBC are cost cutting nearly every aspect of their services. The biggest shame is that so many people are set to loose their jobs, I know dozens of decent folk who will be out of their job within 18 months.
    Do you work for the bbc?
    I used to in, internal comms as the art director.
    What amazed me was how many people they used as 'outsourced' third party suppliers.
    The bbc Salford project was one such.
    I applied for a job at a design company, and saw there show reel, with my mug on it, as well as a photo that i had taken...... As the 'face of journalism' of the bbc, none of us actually work there any more? as you sadly report there will be even less with the move to Salford?
    Of course it sounds like sour grapes from myself, if I attack the bbc and web design?
    Frankly re: the design 'The hanging format at the bottom of the page, looks a bit poor, but then it is probably a 'tenplate' with the text and pics flowed in?, put in by a 'graduate'.
    They must also pay a fortune to third party photo agencies, as bbc sport photographs were virtually non existent when I was there?......

• Options
    Ken, as someone with a bit of "inside" knowledge, can you tell me how re-designing the website would save them money?

Surely it costs money - and time - to do, particularly if they using outside contractors, so where's the saving?

Confused.
  • Options
    yellow
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I will and try help off _it......
    Although like the move to Salford I cannot see a financial reason for it as BBC worldwide was empty in White city, BBC TVC will be half empty , if not already, and BBC magazines are moving out, I understand to Hammersmith, having been flogged off. You are stuck with TVC as a listed building so the BBC retirement home seems like a good bet to me?

To answer your question directly, you can assemble the material into tenplates , once formatted you do not need designers, or photographers, or sub editors, or anyone like an editor, essentially it is headline writing, and with respect most of the editors struggled to do that anyway?
    I assume they have an arrangement with Getty images/PA for your photographs of News,Sport, etc.
    and you can 'slice and dice' information for a variety of content. BBC demand copyright or IPR for all there photographs of shows and talent ( although this is becoming more difficult as most of the prog's are made by ex bbc independent producers anyway, like hat trick,) Of course photographers and designers like myself lose out as my photographs get re-used till dooms day. A point in mind is the Jonathan Ross/Brand still they use. I do not get a penny, do not own the copyright.
    The bbc are not alone in this, all publishing houses, are, and have done this.
    The BBC trust have also said that the bbc needs to reduce it's online content, as it has an unfair advantage having 150 graphic designers producing web pages. Hence the 'outsourcing' like bbc personnel.
    I once saved 50 per cent costings on a well known magazine, by 'reviewing' arrangements and contracts. Good design is about solving problems, and delivering information, in a clear concise manner,most publishers I have worked for would not know a good design if they fell over it?
    Why should they? most are from the marketing/advertising industry. harsh but true?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Ken. So what you're saying is that although it will take time and money to produce the new design, once it's up and running it should be easier to run and need less time/money spent on it (i.e. staff) going forwards. Is that right?

Personally I'm not really pro or anti BBC. However, I did read once that for any given event they could send people to cover it from BBC News, BBC London News, BBC World Service and the BBC website - which sounds completely barmy to me!
  • Options
    Dreadful, isn't it?
    Whenever I see this sort of thing, I assume it's somebody doing something to justify their job.
  • Options
    I hate it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    Thanks Ken. So what you're saying is that although it will take time and money to produce the new design, once it's up and running it should be easier to run and need less time/money spent on it (i.e. staff) going forwards. Is that right?

Personally I'm not really pro or anti BBC. However, I did read once that for any given event they could send people to cover it from BBC News, BBC London News, BBC World Service and the BBC website - which sounds completely barmy to me!
    well that is the stratergy? we shall see?
    Ironically I did tv at art college at Croydon I think we had the first tv studio at any college in 1970.
    A/V I am told is the way forward?..... That is why my former editors have been classified as 'broadcast journalists' so they can work on this material. Of course modern technology has made it very easy to produce a decent video report, (autofocus etc.) You have the idea with multi bbc departments all sending there own teams, this was a nonsense, especially when they would fly in big name presenters?
    Okay they might not be as slick, but most bbc staff do an excelllent job, and like the NHS do it as a public service broadcaster. The 'talent' that is another debate?
    Most news services will I am sure have a 'source' and edit and voice over in future.
    Of course there is immense savings, and hopefully better local reporting.
    The bbc has it's faults, but if you take the news international with Murdoch I think most of us appreciate what the bbc does. Could it do it 'better', of course?
    The dreaded football league show is a source with a voice over and a bit of ' magazine/colour' with a couple of 'pundit's in the studio. I am not convinced personally?
  • Options
    Looks like the way they are going to save money is by not updating it. This afternoon's games finished well over half an hour ago and they still haven't updated the league table.

Message to BBC officials: Your task is to inform and entertain. If the information that you provide isn't complete, correct and CURRENT, it becomes neither informative nor entertaining. This needs sorting out, because a league table that's not up to date is useless and so are the webpages that publish it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table
  • Options
    I can't find the vidiprinter but that's probably me but they do seem to have got rid of any reference to non league bar the conference i.e. they used to cover the conference south & north results & tables.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for a decent web covering the lower leagues
  • Options
    It looks like it did 10 years ago.
  • Options
    It's junk. Not just football coverage either. There used to be some basic business news, like stock indices, on the home page. Now you have to search through about three levels down in the news section.