Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New BBC Web design

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    This and BBC were my main sites- BBC will not be visited so often from now on as it just is too fiddly - The watchword for modern living is change, which can be a very good thing, but what gets lost sometimes is that change shouldn't be made for changes sake. There was nothing wrong with the BBC site- it was clear and easy to navigate- not so anymore!!!!!
  • Options
    I can't find the vidiprinter but that's probably me but they do seem to have got rid of any reference to non league bar the conference i.e. they used to cover the conference south & north results & tables.
    It is still there - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/live_videprinter/default.stm
  • Options
    Everything is still there, only now it's hidden!
  • Options
    no it's not - the league predictor has been dropped completely
  • Options
    no it's not - the league predictor has been dropped completely
    And of course the league table updates have suffered. last season you actually had position changes during the matches and whilst it was pretty meaningless it added to the entertainment during the match ... last game of the season and for 20 minutes we were promoted, I remember on the match thread discussing our position during a game.

I believe a lot in the BBC and no doubt this is a change due to the need to show budget savings and I suspect that there is an element of "What do you expect if we have to cut costs" but I also believe that the BBC should be measured on how they appeal to minorities and in footballing sense the lower leagues sort of go in that direction. Every body covers the Premiership, less coverage would not necessarily affect the Premier League or fans. However, the BBc remit is not about popularism or tv ratings and could do a good job on the lower leagues (The Championship being one of the top supported leagues in Europe is another reason for lower league coverage).

• Options
    Never mind the make over, the actual info is dubious. Have they got 10 year olds updating the scores and text?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Have they got 10 year olds updating the scores and text?
    No, they'd be quicker and more accurate.

And work for less too, of course.

What a good idea.

• Options
    Change is not good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe a lot in the BBC and no doubt this is a change due to the need to show budget savings and I suspect that there is an element of "What do you expect if we have to cut costs" but I also believe that the BBC should be measured on how they appeal to minorities and in footballing sense the lower leagues sort of go in that direction. Every body covers the Premiership, less coverage would not necessarily affect the Premier League or fans. However, the BBc remit is not about popularism or tv ratings and could do a good job on the lower leagues (The Championship being one of the top supported leagues in Europe is another reason for lower league coverage).

I agree with this but it's a difficult balance for them to strike. Whilst they son't necessarily have to go chasing populist programming, they do have to try a put something oit for everyone and some people only like populist stuff. The popular programmes like Top Gear, Sherlock, Dr Who etc also earn money by selling overseas.

Also, if any one part of their programming doesn't draw enough viewers/listeners, they will come under pressure to cut it - especially when you have a Conservative government in power who's natural political leanings do not lend themselves well to a heavily supported public service broadcaster. That's why 6 Music and BBC Four where under threat and not Radio 1.

I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the new website yet, but I'm sure it will be fine once people get used to it.

I live outside the UK now so I'm not paying a licence fee anymore. I'd happily pay double for it though if I did live in England still. I think you get an awful lot for your money when compared to something like Sky and, even now, most of the best 'original' content broadcast in the UK gets put out by the Beeb.
  • Options
    Not a fan at all of the new version.
  • Options
    also there is no non-league section anymore... yet another instance of the media only caring about the professional game.
  • Options
    also there is no non-league section anymore... yet another instance of the media only caring about the professional game.
    There is .. go to the football page and click on (e.g.) Conference Premier in the league table dropdown box. Click on any team in the table and that links to a section on that club .. On the 'dedictaed club' page is a link to general conference news and views. That's probably a round about way of getting there. I find that the news pages, both sports and less important stuff like wars, financials and death, doom and destruction are little changed. Only the access has been made more confusing and complicated, all done in the name of improvement.
  • Options
    are goal/highlights no longer being show on the website? ..if so does anyone know where? This could be me being stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Any suggestions for a decent web covering the lower leagues
    The non-league equivalent of the Sky Sports website:

http://nonleague.pitchero.com

• Options
    Anyone know where the videprinter is or if you even still get it?