Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky box advice

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hang on, you signed up to a price - you actively sought it out, and said "i'll take that deal!" - and then accuse them of robbing you when they drop the price? Eh?!
  • Options
    Yep. Right mug me. Just shows you what can happen if you tell them to
    ' f off. I ain't paying no more'
    Wouldn't say I sought it out. And I was by no means still paying the price I signed up to.
  • Options
    They ignored my problems and more or less said goodbye when I said that I was going elsewhere for my phone and broadband.
  • Options
    Hang on, you signed up to a price - you actively sought it out, and said "i'll take that deal!" - and then accuse them of robbing you when they drop the price? Eh?!
    Think the point that's being made Mr Murdoch, is that these companies seem to charge far far in excess of what they really need to considering they seem to be able to make fantastic offers & cut costs when it suits.

• Options
    Murdoch! Good one!! You are on a role. It's like sharing a forum with the ghost of Mitch Hedberg.

I think that point was pretty obvious... but it's a little odd to call them 'thieving bastards' when, clearly, the deal was perceived as being good value when Carly signed up. We're not talking about a water bill here - it's a bunch of TV channels and a plastic box. Nobody is forced to sign up for £50 a month or whatever it is. Think they are thieving bastards? Here's an idea... don't pay them anything...
  • Options
    I think the biggest con with Sky has to be the insurance, 3 times I've had problems and when they have told me its £x to send out an engineer I've asked to be put through to cancellations to then be told they will send an engineer with a free replacement asap. They are chancers, but so am I ; )
  • Options
    They ignored my problems and more or less said goodbye when I said that I was going elsewhere for my phone and broadband.

The TV is the real money maker for them, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Murdoch! Good one!! You are on a role. It's like sharing a forum with the ghost of Mitch Hedberg.

I think that point was pretty obvious... but it's a little odd to call them 'thieving bastards' when, clearly, the deal was perceived as being good value when Carly signed up. We're not talking about a water bill here - it's a bunch of TV channels and a plastic box. Nobody is forced to sign up for £50 a month or whatever it is. Think they are thieving bastards? Here's an idea... don't pay them anything...
    I think SouthEastern are thieving bastards, but I've still gotta pay the fares to get to work.
    Likewise, whilst Sky/Virgin are I guess deemed luxuries, in todays commericalised world where the internet is vital and many prime events are no longer on free to air channels, more people see a broadband/tv package as an essential rather than a luxury that it was a few years ago. I suppose we're all guilty of piling money into their coffers enabling them to bid for more programmes/sports etc & taking them away from channels 1-5.

& you don't always purchase things because it's "good value", sometimes they are required or it's just better than a similar product being offered.
  • Options
    Too true, Southern, SWT and SouthEastern truly are the thieves. They act like they are an option. Yet only one operator runs out of my town... not exactly a competitive landscape! You're probably right in that TV/ Internet is more of an essential than a luxury these days, but I still think 'thieving bastards' is harsh!
  • Options
    Jimmy - what is the difference between Sky's box and the Virgin TiVo ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ultimately it'll come down to personal preference, and I'm no expert on the technical side. But from my experience of seeing my mate's in action, the EPG is a horrible, cluttered mess of red, black and various sizes of text that rarely fit on the menus. I think the 'past seven days' option on it is a cheap gimmick (all the shows are available on demand everywhere else, it's just a listing front end).

My friend says he regularly gets phantom recordings, and has missed half a dozen matches because it inexplicably failed to record, although it does record random shows he's never heard of. And it freezes. Could be that he has a dodgy box, or they will improve in time. But my Sky+ 1TB has never crashed and works like a dream.

Did a quick Google to see if this is the norm, very mixed reviews on here: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews119364.html#Reviews
  • Options
    Think the Virgin TiVo box has plenty of teething issues, been around a while in the USA, think in a year or so it'll be running better.

As for the red/black EPG, true, it's not quite as smooth/slick as Sky and it feels a little "sticky" when flicking through if you get what I mean compared to Sky. I think if anyone moves to Virgin from Sky they'll find it annoying to start with.

Quick question, with Sky, can you while still on full screen, use the mini EPG to scroll through different channels etc or do you have to open up the main programme guide which leaves a little box in the corner for the show you're watching? Whenever I've tried flicking up through channels to see what else is on it's changed channel!
  • Options
    The best way to channel hop on Sky is to use the up and down arrows (around the select button rather than the channel-change buttons) to scroll through the EPG bar while watching something on screen (quicker than flicking channels up and down). You can set favourites, and if you press one of the coloured buttons it will flick the EPG bar to the channel you were last watching.

You can also turn off the mini-TV in the TV Guide so that you get a full screen instead (and avoid seeing the score if you're recording a game).

Saw a new EPG last month, think it launches in the Autumn. Basically a tidier version. Also, something called Superplanner is coming which allows you to control your box using an iPhone/ iPad.
  • Options
    anyone know if I can pop a 2 tb harddrive into the sky hd plus box?

apparently these are the ones: Seagate Pipeline HD 2 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-300 3.5" 5900 rpm ST2000VM002

Cheers
    R
  • Options
    Can't say for certain on a 2tb but I've now got a 1.5tb (Previously a 500gb) in mine and works fine. If you need any software to copy your recordings across send me a PM.
  • Options
    ok cool, thanks
  • Options
    The fact that you can now get catch up tv through the HD box (ITV player and 5 demand now , iplayer soon and 4od next year) is going to give people even less of a reason to go down the virgin route.