Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan McCormack

2»

Comments

• Bit harsh on Benson. A goal every three games in his first season in L1 for a dreadful Charlton side is a record to be proud of. I wish we still had him to be honest as I thought there was even more to come from him.
    I've yet to be convinced that Swindon didn't get the better deal regarding the Benson/Clarke swap...............
    Mhm. That's what I'm thinking too.

• Benson was unlucky not to get an opportunity this season, he seemed to have deserved it, but hopefully we desist from writing off Clarke just yet.
  • Bit harsh on Benson. A goal every three games in his first season in L1 for a dreadful Charlton side is a record to be proud of. I wish we still had him to be honest as I thought there was even more to come from him.
    I've yet to be convinced that Swindon didn't get the better deal regarding the Benson/Clarke swap...............
    Benson was a good striker but a poacher and nothing else. Clarke is very physical AND had scored goals this season, so I could see powell's thinking.
  • Maybe we could learn the lesson of this thread and give Clarke a chance to find his feet and build his confidence playing for a better team before jumping on his back then....
  • He's doing well because L2 is his level. Did well at Southend but couldn't step up to L1 standard. Good luck to him...
  • Clarke is very physical AND had scored goals this season, so I could see powell's thinking.

It seems that CP wants a group of strikers not so much for now but for the championship who all have something different to contribute - BWP is a finisher, Haynes a touch of pace (and he has tried to use Wagstaff in that role without success), Keromgant and Hayes play a bit deeper and Clarke is going to be the physical hold up guy who will be expected to score a few ugly goals and do battle with the centre-halves. A shame as I liked Benson's work-rate and desire etc but he didn't seem to fit into the masterplan and as looks likely we'll get promoted and would be out of his depth in the CCC.
  • Clarke is very physical AND had scored goals this season, so I could see powell's thinking.

It seems that CP wants a group of strikers not so much for now but for the championship who all have something different to contribute - BWP is a finisher, Haynes a touch of pace (and he has tried to use Wagstaff in that role without success), Keromgant and Hayes play a bit deeper and Clarke is going to be the physical hold up guy who will be expected to score a few ugly goals and do battle with the centre-halves. A shame as I liked Benson's work-rate and desire etc but he didn't seem to fit into the masterplan and as looks likely we'll get promoted and would be out of his depth in the CCC.
    Bensons work rate ? We must have been watching a different player ?

I don't think Clarke (or Hayes) will be around for the championship. They were brought in to do a job in this division. Hayes has already served his purpose, Clarke will be used sparingly when as you say we need to do battle with Centre halves. But in this division certainly not the championship where hopefully better quality replacements will be brought in.