Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Stevenage - Preview / Predictions

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
With Henry suffering a blow out, and WSS chucking up in the pit lane, AFKA dons his helmet, flips the visor and races off to Preview Towers.....

----------------------------------------

"Anxiety can make a small problem appear a big shadow"
- AFKA Bartram, 2012

It has been the perfect race so far for Chris Powell. His red and white Team Charlton car took an early lead, and has since been cruising around the League One circuit with little sense of challenge from the other drivers. It hasn’t been Senna-like flamboyance, but organised, Vettel-style effectiveness, whilst in the galleries his fans scoff at the misfortune of the Team Chef Wendy wagon running on cooking oil, spluttering smoke out of its exhaust.

31 of the 46 laps gone, and it all appears a bit of a procession.

But what’s this ?

The car behind has started lapping quicker.
The wings are damaged.
A light has started flashing on the dashboard.
Why is it flashing ?
What’s not working that was working fine before ?
It surely can’t all go wrong in the last stretch of the race ?

Can it ???

And that’s the problem. Why exactly have things dipped of late ? Is this just a natural blip in results and performances that all teams suffer throughout a long season, or is it something more drastic that needs urgent attention.

Having looked a class above most in the division earlier in the season, the midfield is one noticeable area where the collective standards seemed to have slipped. Johnnie Jackson is missed. In open play doesn’t do anything spectacular, but he provides perfect balance on the left, rarely has a poor game, and comes alive at set pieces which have helped turn likely draws into victories. On the opposite side, Danny Green is not delivering on a consistent basis the level of performance and creativity many of us hoped he would provide, whilst Scott Wagstaff on a rare outing, showed little to force the issue that he is hard done by being out the team.

In the centre, Hollands and Stephens are starting to look like two fellas with four babies between them getting a rare night out. You still go through the motions and try and enjoy it, but you’re knackered and can’t knock back the ale at the rate you could just a few months ago.

One of the key issues at the moment is that those coming into the side of late are not taking the opportunity and putting in impressive performances. Earlier in the season, when Kermorgant, Green, Hughes, Pritchard, Russel or Ephrain came in, the level of performance stayed consistent or improved. In recent weeks, Evina, Wagstaff, Clarke, Haynes or Pritchard have all failed to put in a performance that puts down a marker to say ‘i’m keeping this place for the next game’.

It is impossible not to recognise where the real issue lies however. Wright Phillips’ drought is becoming a real problem, and it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise when a striker who scores 14 in 17 games then shoots blanks in the next 14.

Your main striker is always a key focal point in a side, and i think it is starting to impact not just his own confidence, but adding anxiety to his team mates. Kermorgant has been in the side for most of the season now, but increasingly in recent weeks players are taking the option to play long to his head. We are offloading the ball quicker than before, and not breaking with the tenacity or intent we were earlier in the season.

Team Stevenage were put together on a shoestring budget, but have been bashing cars left right and centre off the circuit, and are currently an opponent that commands respect. Whether their cup run will galvanise them, or they will have one eye on the forthcoming replay at White Hart Lane, none of us know.

But it is essential that the spark and tempo that has been missing in the last few performances is re-discovered pretty quickly. Green, Stephens and Hollands need to up their offensive contributions, and Bradley needs a goal from somewhere, anywhere, to get going again. When he does finally hit the target, watch the impact on not just him, but all his team mates as well.

This squad is better than what we have seen of late. On Saturday, nerves will be settled, and we'll be back to winning ways with a convincing 2-0 victory, and Bradders finally getting the monkey off his back.

And if we don't, then i'm swapping his helmet for a tin hat.........

Comments

• Options
    Agreed. We have risen to all the 'big games' even during this slump in performances and we will do so again against Stevenage and hit the home straight with renewed vigour. BWP and Kermo to hit a brace each.
  • Options
    fair enough be confident but do you really honestly believe given the way we have played recently we are going to hit them for 4? and against a team that has conceded 12 goals away from home in 16 games?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    We don't need a Henry vroom vroom to get us back on top of the rostrum .. we're already there and will be there at the end of the season so long as the players retain their confidence and the fans their faith. Stevenage were found out by Notts Co, though a lot of Cos' performance was probably down to Mad Dog's demise. Stevenage do not like to be harried and worried, their players are not that hot on the ball and depend on work rate and organisation for their collective success.
    If we get at 'em from the off, I expect a score of : CAFC 3 v Stevenage 0
  • Options
    Goals galore for the packed Valley. 5 - 2 and Charlton back to their best.

Solly and Jackson return, Waggy starts and scores and the whole team, including Hamer and all the subs and bench engulf BWP when he finally beats their offside trap and slides one under their keeper.
  • Options
    2 0 to us similar win to Sheffield United, ride are luck but then take the chances when they come.

BWP both with the second coming in the 88th minute with us on the back foot.
  • Options
    In any long distance race there is a spell when you knuckle down and just put in the laps. But no better time than Saturday to hit the throttle and put in a convincing performance that will show the Sheffield duo that their Sunday outing is only a step towards 2nd place or the play-offs.

Looking forward to a packed Valley and a big boost for future attendances. COYR's
  • Options
    There is no logic to this and its nothing to do with the way we are playing, I would have said the same if we had won the last 12 on the spin but I have thought for some time that Stevenage were going to be the one that broke our home record.

Its kind of the Charlton way to stutter in February and March and I just have a horrible feeling, big crowd, underrated opposition, few players out of form and a game against one of those horrible sides that we are not very good at playing.

Back to winning ways at Chesterfield though before I get accused of being a wrist slitter.

People talk about winning our home games to get us over the finishing line but its our away form that will get us up, we look a better side away from home.

Of course a nice routine 3-0 with BWP back on the score sheet would be perfect.
  • Options
    Realistically 2-1 to us reality 2-1 to us in a world of non fiction 2-1 to us

Oh they are all the same, BWP and Kermy to score then.
  • Options
    Given that it's an "operation" I'll take a draw right now.
  • Options
    A nervy 1-0 win with our goal coming from a midfield player. In keeping with AFKA's superb opening reveiw I will swing off into the pits and make way for the 60 or so other messages that are bound to say we are going to win by a clear 4 goals with BWP scoring a hat trick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As long as it's better than the Oldham game which was my last home game.
  • Options
    Get that celebration champers ready to pop !
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think we are due a performance and the fact that JJ and Solly are set to return and that Stevenage had a disapointing loss on Wednesday, I feel we are going to get one. A happy Valley with a 4-0 scorline and BWP getting two of them!
  • Options
    A solid and dominant first half performance yet find ourselves one down, before failing in the second half and finally losing 3-1 infront of 26,234 Addicks, with the nerves well and truly kicking in!
  • Options
    A solid and dominant first half performance yet find ourselves one down, before failing in the second half and finally losing 3-1 infront of 26,234 Addicks, with the nerves well and truly kicking in!
    what do you fancy for the Grand National ?
  • Options
    More worried about this one than the Sheffield games.

Unconvincing draw at best if Green Hollands and Stephens all start.
  • Options
    another 1-1 unless.... nope... 1-1
  • Options
    2-0 to them in front of the deflated masses
  • Options
    one thing is for sure - it will be tight. One goal could win it, but we tend to better against the good sides so ....
  • Options
    3-1 win to send the bumper crowd home happy. Don't care who scores so long as someone does. Come on, let's make some noise and put on a performance to show everyone we've got the engine to finish what we started.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nervy first half, we go a goal down and they put 10 behind the ball. Ends 1-1. JJ to score.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2012
    We are very difficult to beat (2 defeats) and we still look difficult to beat, but our attack has been spluttering so all the recent games have been a lot tighter than they should have been. This, coupled with the fact that we just haven't been getting going in the first 30 minutes or so (is that the knuckling down mentioned above?), have led to recent performances that are frustrating. My prediction - CP has had enough of the malingering and gives 'em a kick up the arris. The net result - Charlton will push from the off, BWP will score an early goal and then we'll cruise it and run out easy winners. Don't know about the final score but could be 2, 3 or 4 to nil with Big Yann getting at least one.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Russell featuring somewhere on Saturday.
  • Options
    great preview @AFKABartram

We have been fairly lucky since the turn of the year. no team (bar fulham) have scored more than 1 goal against us. If Stevenage put two away then i feel it would be all over.
    I dont think they will though. I think a mediocre performance with luckly two of our 12 chances put away. 2-1 to the addicks in front of a full house.
  • Options
    6-0 to us. Jackson (2), BWP, Hollands, Yann, Solly.
  • Options
    0-0 at h/time leading to mass booing by the East stand.

cp vents his spleen during the h/time team talk but to no avail as the players come back out like rabbits caught in headlights as the size of the crowd overwhelms them and it ends the most dismal 0-0 ever witnessed at any sports stadium in the world....ever.

(i can't make it on Saturday)
  • Options
    I'm not happy with the home win ratio so far this season, and for me still needs much improvement. I would expect a league-leading side to have won at least approx 80% of their home games (Sheff Utd have won 85%) and not the current 60% that we have. I think that as we go into the last third of the season, those away wins might be harder to come by and therefore imo we must win more of our final home games. Having said this though, I think we will do well against stevenage this saturday, we seem to get better results against those at the top end of the table.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    V good preview. This promising newcomer ''AFKA'' should be encouraged to write more often; the most interesting pre-match analysis for many a game!

I have absolutely no idea why we are making everything look such hard work at the moment.

But I know it will come right soon. And I reckon Saturday will be the day. 4-0, and BWP to ''get the monkey of his back'' as young AFKA puts it. No goal since Nov 21 and he's going to make amends with a hat-trick. That's the way it works. Apres le drought, le deluge!
  • Options
    Another tight one. Head says one all. Heart is going for a two one win. Jackson freekick and bwp winner shanked off his backside.
  • Options
    Stevenage don't concede many goals, 1-0 Charlton Kermorgant
  • Options
    Great preview...i'm still fourth in line if need be haha.

I am actually confident heading into Saturday, i think Powell will shuffle the team around...and we could even see one or two unexpected names such as Hughes or Waggy.

My prediction is 2-0 CAFC.