Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cockney Music

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
I do the occassional DJing and my local have asked me to come up with a massive playlist of cockney music. Quiet frankly I don't have much great knowledge of Cockney music apart from the obvious Chas N Dave. Any lifers know any good cockney music that I can add to the playlist?

Comments

• Options
    My Fair Lady
    Small Faces
    Ian Drury
    Squeeze
    Google ... cockney songs, there's bound to be a few on there
  • Options
    Just songs in a cockney accent or about being a cockney?
  • Options
    Blur?
  • Options
    Tommy Steele
    Lionel Bart
    Joe Brown (a good Lincolnshire lad)
    Anthony Newley
  • Options

Golden age of the music hall on amazon has a fair few on it. Harry Champion is one of the old time singers of cockney type songs.

• Options
    Blur?
    Colchester Nath.

How about A13 by Billy Bragg?
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Golden age of the music hall on amazon has a fair few on it. Harry Champion is one of the old time singers of cockney type songs.

Marie Lloyd songs like 'My ol man said follow the van and dont dilly dally on the way' or 'Oh Mr porter, what can I do, I wanted to go to Birmingham but they've taken me on to Crewe' .. ' .. Jesus, I am getting quite nostalgic !! .. that last is not a song title b t w
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    they don't write em like they used to ..
  • Options
    cock sparrer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My old man said 'follow the van' ('cos there's loads of stuff you can nick)
  • Options
    Knees up mother brown
  • Options
    the okey cokey
  • Options
    Roll out the barrel
  • Options
    Blur?
    Colchester Nath.

How about A13 by Billy Bragg?
    Formed in London, so you are both right.

Alex James is from your neck of the woods BA.

• Options
    Old bull and bush
  • Options
    Surely you can just play anything as long as you go about nutting everyone and calling them Andy Hunts.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sadly its possible the Cockney will be no more in the next 50 years ( a possible over estimation ) due to mass immigration in the area so any association with music and Cockney's will be important for historical and cultural reasons.
  • Options
    Pack up your troubles...... I remember a few of these from my younger days, seeing my nan in Poplar and listening to those songs in the Pope John.
  • Options
    "I'm Henery the Eighth, I am" is one of my favourites.

Have a look on here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_hall_songs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Sadly the Cockney will be no more in the next 50 years ( a possible over estimation ) due to mass immigration in the area so any association with music and Cockney's will be important for historical and cultural reasons.
    Wow! They're pulling St Mary-le Bow down? When did this get agreed and why isn't there a petition about it?

Oh - that's right - they aren't, and your post is complete, and utter, unadulterated bollocks - as the last time I checked, the stipulation for being called a 'cockney' was 'being born within earshot of the Bow bells' - NOT 'being born within the earshot of the Bow bells and being white'.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sadly the Cockney will be no more in the next 50 years ( a possible over estimation ) due to mass immigration in the area so any association with music and Cockney's will be important for historical and cultural reasons.
    Wow! They're pulling St Mary-le Bow down? When did this get agreed and when isn't there a petition about it?

Oh - that's right - they aren't, and your post is complete, and utter, unadulterated bollocks.
    And you would know as you almost always speak it . Your aggression , when you disagree with people is bordering on manic at times . Instead of the constant insults and snipes , you should try come up with some sort of constructive argument as to why you disagree . Its called discussion , you should try it some time and then that way you might , just might , gain a little respect with some members of Charlton Life. Sadly you won't be gaining mine just yet .
  • Options
    For a cockney voice you can't beat a bit of the old Small Faces 'Happy Days Toy Town'
  • Options
    Or the language and slang will continue to evolve and the 'Cockney' will continue as before.

• Options
    Wow! They're pulling St Mary-le Bow down? When did this get agreed and when isn't there a petition about it?

Oh - that's right - they aren't, and your post is complete, and utter, unadulterated bollocks.
    And you would know as you almost always speak it . Your aggression , when you disagree with people is bordering on manic at times . Instead of the constant insults and snipes , you should try come up with some sort of constructive argument as to why you disagree . Its called discussion , you should try it some time and then that way you might , just might , gain a little respect with some members of Charlton Life. Sadly you won't be gaining mine just yet .
    It's hard to be reasonable when people post such tripe. People have been emigrating to London for centuries. Are there no cockneys because the Roman's have left Londinium?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I didn't realise the Romans were cockneys. What an intelligent point...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    All the cockneys were displaced by the hugeunots 400 years ago.
  • Options
    There's so much I need to do but it can wait...
  • Options
    Surprised that Chas & Bloody Dave haven't had a mention..........my appologies for having done so by the way!!