Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reality check - who might we need to sell to fund next year's squad?

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Reading the Mail on Sunday article, Powell is clear that our budget this season was funded by the Jenkinson move, and that we had less to spend in total than other promo chasing teams. So, assuming we do go up, and need to strengthen the squad, are we going to have to cash in on one or two of our current stars to fund this?

Comments

• Options
    Aww, Weegie, can't we enjoy the season a bit longer before we have to worry about the financial realities of the Championship?
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    Aww, Weegie, can't we enjoy the season a bit longer before we have to worry about the financial realities of the Championship?
    I'm hoping someone who claims to be in the know will come along and tell me not to worry! Sorry - not meaning to be negative!!
  • Options
    According to Murray's comments a year or two ago, we lose something like 4 million quid a year in League 1, whereas in the Championship we could break even while funding a mid-table budget.

So that should mean we won't have to sell if we go up.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2012
    Seems to have built a squad this season capable in the Champ
  • Options
    Reading the Mail on Sunday article, Powell is clear that our budget this season was funded by the Jenkinson move, and that we had less to spend in total than other promo chasing teams. So, assuming we do go up, and need to strengthen the squad, are we going to have to cash in on one or two of our current stars to fund this?
    More TV money in the Championship but interest kicks in on the deferred directors' loans (no idea how much that will be). Doc will go and is probably one of our higher earners and it looks like Hayes will too probably.

They've always said we can be commercially viable in the Championship so, hopefully, any departures will be on our terms rather than out of necessity.
  • Options
    nah, he was probably told to prove what he can do with the Jenkinson money before being given a big pot for next seasons 'one aim'
  • Options
    nobody we don't want to sell.
  • Options
    Weegie dont worry
  • Options
    If you believe people on here there could be quite a bit of money behind the scenes.

Don't forget the appointment of Hart and Vetere brief bit of scouting (maybe he's job was already done) wouldn't come cheap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems to have built a squad this season capable in the Champ
    This.

Just need a few additions but this squad is young and hungry!

• Options
    Going to be a very interesting ride. Need to spend to improve but if we can't then I still think the current squad would avoid a relegation scrap. I'm hoping there is money to improve though.
  • Options
    I'd take a pinch of salt with what Powell's comments ... Didn't he say we had the same budget as Rochdale? And shopping in TK Max? Play it down
  • Options
    Going to be a very interesting ride. Need to spend to improve but if we can't then I still think the current squad would avoid a relegation scrap. I'm hoping there is money to improve though.
    Totally agree with that. With a good following wind and an average amount of luck , this squad in the championship could be round about where Leicester/Barnsley/Palace/Derby are at present, in my opinion. To put us where, say, Brighton are (i.e. striking distance of play-offs) substantial money will be needed to improve. Would have no concerns about the first-choice back four in the championship. Spend will need to be up-front and in midfield.

• Options
    Garry Docherty for sure.

• Options
    More TV money in the Championship but interest kicks in on the deferred directors' loans (no idea how much that will be). Doc will go and is probably one of our higher earners and it looks like Hayes will too probably.

They've always said we can be commercially viable in the Championship so, hopefully, any departures will be on our terms rather than out of necessity.
    How I understand it is that even though Interest does commence to accrue again on the directors loans, it is only on paper and does not actually get paid until the club is in the premiership.

• Options
    Of the team that started yesterday, only Taylor, BWP, Green and to a lesser extent Kermorgant might struggle in the Championship, the rest are good enough already.

A few players on the side of the squad, like Hughes, Pritchard, Clarke, and maybe Sullivan would probably go.

Think we need some cover and a bit of quality, which we can afford, and an experienced keeper to help Hamer and put him under pressure.
  • Options
    In a way its a blessing in disguise that BWP is misfiring cos if he maintained the scoring streak, he'd probably be one of the first to be sold as by this summer he's got six months left... Now I can see him signing a further contract extension...:-)
  • Options
    How much did Southampton/Norwich spend in their first (and looking like only) season in the Champ?
  • Options
    Confident there's no need to sell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to see this team go -possibly let some periphery players go and bring in replacements but we have a young side and not unreasonable that they will get even better. We ought to see where they can take us.
  • Options
    I believe our present squad could stay up and consolidate in The Championship.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Southampton have spent about £5m this season (funded by the OxCube sale)

Norwich spent £4.3m
  • Options
    Of the team that started yesterday, only Taylor, BWP, Green and to a lesser extent Kermorgant might struggle in the Championship, the rest are good enough already.

A few players on the side of the squad, like Hughes, Pritchard, Clarke, and maybe Sullivan would probably go.

Think we need some cover and a bit of quality, which we can afford, and an experienced keeper to help Hamer and put him under pressure.
    Kermorgant? Look how effective Iwelumo could be in the Champ (for Wolves more than us), and he's probably not as good technically as Kermorgant.

He's one player I don't think will have any problems stepping up.

Taylor will be an interesting one, doesn't really seem to make mistakes, but doesn't stand out. Think he'd do ok, but it depends what we're aiming for.
  • Options
    In a way its a blessing in disguise that BWP is misfiring cos if he maintained the scoring streak, he'd probably be one of the first to be sold as by this summer he's got six months left... Now I can see him signing a further contract extension...:-)
    Didn't he trigger an automatic extension a few months back by playing x number of games?

• Options
    Assuming that we get promoted, I think consolidation will be the name of the game. If we sell anyone, it should be to get better replacements. That said, I think that most of the squad look like they are capable of stepping up a level.
  • Options
    This squad has so far proved to be alot better than the rest of the division so theres no reason why they couldn't do well in the championship.
  • Options
    Kermorgant is one who probably is a borderline one, just scarred by his Leicester experience.

Taylor I think will struggle with the pace and movement in the Championship, but should be given a go in the league, he's earned it
  • Options
    I don't think much will be done to the 1st 11 but the squad will be improved.

Can see us moving Sullivan,Hughes,Hayes,Clarke,Doherty and Waggy on and signing a goalkeeper to challenge Hamer, cover at RB another CB, at least one CM, a RM, one or two strikers and another LM.
  • Options
    I think Kermit & BWP will struggle in the Championship, my fear is if we do bolster the forward line next year we will struggle.