Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reality check - who might we need to sell to fund next year's squad?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Agree green might struggle and waggy in fact perhaps contraversially i think all our midfield might bar jacko
  • Options
    I'm assuming Powell's comments were a smoke screen, a lot of people reckon that we've got a lot of money and I cannot see 1million quid that we got for Jenkinson funding all our signings
  • Options
    plus In my own opinion this squad is far better than the previous championship squad we had!!
  • Options
    havent we just had a takeover, i thought we was well off/rich?
  • Options
    Weird thread. Understood we will be buying in the summer if we go up. Maybe I misunderstood.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Of the team that started yesterday, only Taylor, BWP, Green and to a lesser extent Kermorgant might struggle in the Championship, the rest are good enough already.

A few players on the side of the squad, like Hughes, Pritchard, Clarke, and maybe Sullivan would probably go.

Think we need some cover and a bit of quality, which we can afford, and an experienced keeper to help Hamer and put him under pressure.
    Kermorgant? Look how effective Iwelumo could be in the Champ (for Wolves more than us), and he's probably not as good technically as Kermorgant.

He's one player I don't think will have any problems stepping up.

Taylor will be an interesting one, doesn't really seem to make mistakes, but doesn't stand out. Think he'd do ok, but it depends what we're aiming for.
    Regarding Taylor do you you look at the defence as a unit or as individuals who make up that unit? A team is sometimes greater than the sum of its parts, as I believe Curbs once said, and Taylor is a key member of that back 4.
  • Options
    The club says we bought the players just via the Jenkinson transfer money but I find that hard to believe.

So is the club saying we bought all these players for £1M. Players like Wiggins, Stephans and Hollands were attracted interest from Championship Clubs and Premier League but these players decided to come to us?

Aside from that, we invested in alot of areas around the club like the youth, scouting and other area's before the season started. I do homestly believe we got more money than what some of us might believe.
  • Options
    Depends on what our plan is - if it is to go straight through the Champ then I think Solly, Wiggins, Morrow, JJ & Kermit would all be fine as first teams, Hollands possibly and Stephens if he can dominate games more and push forwards. Most of the rest of the current first team would be good squad players and same names as Covered End above says will be released. I think we would need one excellent striker and one excellent CB plus a really domineering CM for us to really challenge.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's easy to get carried away thinking all our players are good enough to play and do well in the championship just because we are flying in league one and whilst I have high hopes that a decent proportion will thrive I think that in order to get anywhere near the playoffs we will need to bring in some real quality in most areas. If the plan is to consolidate over a few seasons then I think we are equipped to do that but if the plan is to push on quickly then it will be very dependent on how much we have to spend.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's easy to get carried away thinking all our players are good enough to play and do well in the championship just because we are flying in league one and whilst I have high hopes that a decent proportion will thrive I think that in order to get anywhere near the playoffs we will need to bring in some real quality in most areas. If the plan is to consolidate over a few seasons then I think we are equipped to do that but if the plan is to push on quickly then it will be very dependent on how much we have to spend.
    People will begin to talk SHG, as this is the second time this evening in this thread that I've had to come in and say ''This man knows what he's talking about''...

Real quality will be needed in most areas, as you say - although I'm still convinced the back four would be fine in the championship. Better cover would certainly be needed, though. And no room for sentiment: if the 'cover' is superior to what we've currently got and today's first choices become tomorrow's 'cover', then so much the better. It's that kind of strength in depth we'll need to get out of the championship and back to where we belong would like to be...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's hard to know exactly what our finances are like when compared to the Yorkshire clubs, as it isn't public knowledge. The 2 Sheff Clubs will have players still on Championship wages like we did when we first went down, but I'm sure we must pay pretty well at this level if you look at the people we signed. Didn't Danny Haynes choose us over Millwall for example?

It's possible that one or two of our stars might be tempted away from the club, everyone has his price, the important thing is reinvesting the money wisely.
  • Options
    Slater has already mentioned that if we go up then we should break even in the championship.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2012
    The club says we bought the players just via the Jenkinson transfer money but I find that hard to believe.

So is the club saying we bought all these players for £1M. Players like Wiggins, Stephans and Hollands were attracted interest from Championship Clubs and Premier League but these players decided to come to us?

Aside from that, we invested in alot of areas around the club like the youth, scouting and other area's before the season started. I do homestly believe we got more money than what some of us might believe.
    Not only the fees we paid but also their wage terms. We could obviously offer good money for the players to choose us. Sorry, it wasn't only CP's silvery tongue that persuaded people. :-)
  • Options

Not only the fees we paid but also their wage terms. We could obviously offer good money for the players to choose us. Sorry, it wasn't only CP's silvery tongue that persuaded people. :-)

Wiggins was on the point of signing for watford until we matched their transfer fee & were allowed to talk to him, so it seems we were willing to match/pay more than they had offered him ?

Oh & the paper talk at the time was watford offered £400k, so if that were true & we matched it then thats a fair bit out of the mill for Jenks ?
  • Options
    A lot of our squad are on the up, improving as the club's fortunes improve. This has been the approach that's worked for the likes of Brighton, Swansea and Norwich, albeit with decent relative budgets. I don't expect there to be a huge change in the squad. If we're capable of gaining promotion, we should be capable of surviving in the Championship. I doubt this is a two-year plan to get in the PL.
  • Options
    I think another goal scoring option will be needed whatever form BWP is in.
  • Options
    We ain't selling we're buying baby...
  • Options
    Remember slater aim ... ' where are we gonna be in 2 yrs?' slater-' in the prem or at least near the top of the champ'
  • Options
    I also remember slater or powell saying the new squad was being built for league 1 promotion and to compete in the championship.

So no massive overhaul. 4 or 5 signings within our budget.
  • Options
    Cant see any need to sell. Would expect the current squad to stay up in the Champs. Maybe a few back up players could be replaced with ones more likely to challenge (Hughes, Doc, Hayes, Clarke etc) but only to get in a LM, CB and DM/RB. Would be perfectly happy with no changes so anything is a bonus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be a massive mistake changing the squad for next season and a mistake we know won't be made. Yes, you can see Hayes and Doc moving on and maybe 1 or 2 additions if the right player comes along but I look at our starting eleven and there isn't a player I see who I don't think can cut it at the higher level.
  • Options
    I expect it to be evolution rather than revolution hence we won't be seeing another 20+ players in again if we go up. Thus can't see us having to sell to finance this. Some tinkering here and there is needed but think this will be offset by having some of the fringe players like Hayes, Euell, Hughes etc, off the books.