Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wright-Philips yesterday...

Genuine question this. If you have a striker who has half a dozen decent chances and mises five of them but puts away the one that was arguably the hardest , how do you go about marking him?

I gave BWP 6. AFKA gave him 6.5. But I'd guess the average mark from everyone else is around 8.

I love the guy. I've defended him throughout the drought against all the doubters on CL.

But I just felt yesterday that you cannot give any striker who misses so many chances the kind of high average rating BWP has received.

The ''players marks'' thread is a place for just that - marks, not for debate. Which is why I've started this seperate thread. Given that he missed at least five gilt-edged chances, can those who gave him 8 or 8.5 explain why I was so out of line (and I clearly was) in giving him 6 ?

Obviously I think I was right. But I am very keen to hear reasoned arguments which explain why I was wrong, and perfectly open to being convinced by them...

(As an aside, having watched the prem highlights from yesterday, I have to say his brother missed an even easier chance for QPR!)

Comments

• Didn't mark him, but surely it has to be because of his workrate yesterday, and chasing down every ball. He never gave up, and his missed chances were at least pretty much all on target, not smashed high or wide - their keeper was solid. And of course BWP was in the right place to get ontpo those chances. Yes, he could have had six yesterday, but given his confidence must have been low to start with, he didnt hide.
    Even the first half looped volley missed by only a few inches, and the fella put a real shift in.

I think he'll go on ang get another bucketful of goals from here on.
  • His pace and movement create so much space for our other players, and although he missed quite a few chances, he wasn't afraid to have a go (many players low on confidence will try and look for a team mate)...

I would give him a 7.5 for yesterday's performance
  • I completely agree and also marked him 6.
    His general play was very good, but his finishing was woeful.
    However, we all know he's a better finisher than that showing and, more importantly, so does he.
  • I agree with you. The average probably would have been 6/7 if we drew 1-1. The chances he missed did not cost us in the end. I think he is a great striker who played well and put himself about yesterday, but dare I say, there was a touch of lisbie of him vs Stevenage...
  • Good question and on reflection, maybe a 7, rather than the 8 i gave him would be more like it as i did think he played well and worked hard. Having said that, i gave Kermo a 10 which may seem OTT as he didn't score but i'm happy with that - he did everything you could ask of a target man / second striker yesterday.
  • He was finding spaces, he was creating chances, he was going for goal. Most of his misses were bad luck rather than bad judgement their goalkeeper was on form. He was playing his socks off, even after he scored he was playing his socks off. You say he could have got many more that very fact proves that he was doing almost everything right. He also made some blinding tackles and crosses. If he had scored more than one he would have got a 9 or 10, the fact that he didn't only an 8. but a deserved one in my opinion.
  • i gave him 8 (i think) mainly because of his effort and the fact that even though he hadnt scored for ages he kept at it also the fact that even though he missed a handful of chances in the first half he didnt let it effect him and he kept looking for his goal maybe he should have had a few more but their keeper had a brilliant day
  • edited February 2012
    I haven't got round to giving marks yet but he'll get at least a 7 from me. Thought he worked his socks off throughout, giving their defense a torrid time. As for the comment "his finishing was woeful" Do me a favour!
    He forced their keeper to pull off 4 very good saves and on another day he would have got his first hat-trick for us.
  • If he had missed 5 chances, then yes a high score would be bad, but, the header the cross didn't drop enough, the chip well was poor. However the others, he did what you need to do, which is hit the target, if the keeper saves it, then credit the keeper. But he got himself into positions, and was a pain for Stevenage to handle. Worth the decent scores for me
  • Not too much wrong with his finishing yesterday IMO....but a lot right with the keepers saves..
  • Sponsored links:

• The only one he got wrong was the chip. He should have blasted that.

The rest he did nothing wrong. He scared the life out of Stevenage and was easily a 7/10.
  • I haven't got round to giving marks yet but he'll get at least a 7 from me. Thought he worked his socks off throughout, giving their defense a torrid time. As for the comment "his finishing was woeful" Do me a favour!
    He forced their keeper to pull off 4 very good saves and on another day he would have got his first hat-trick for us.
    You mean he made the keeper make a couple of regulation blocks and the other chances he put off target.
    Don't insult him by trying to pretend that was a good display of finishing.

• edited February 2012
    He "missed" one sitter, the lob first half, the other "gilt edged" chances all hit the target, but credit to Day who saved well. On another day/another keeper BWP could get a hat-trick doing the same again. Thought he terrorised their back four yesterday and created the chances with his pace and movement. If he plays like that for the rest of the season, he will score goals and we will win games.
  • Good arguments, for the most part. Keep going guys. You've already convinced me to push my 6 up to 6.5 !!!
  • edited February 2012
    This is League One. Premiership strikers miss chances every game and the trick is that they only need to score at least one of them. Bradley could have had five but the important thing is he got one. His movement to get into position for the chances and to help build them up was superb, and during his brilliant 14 goal run he spurned plenty of chances. Compare BWP's display to a Torres display - Torres keeps out of the box, drifts wide when there's a cross on and hesitates before pulling the trigger. BWP gets himself into the positions, shot when he had the chance and kept going even after the misses. I couldn't believe he still had the balls to try chipping the keeper with the run he's been on. Found that really heartening.

I scored him pretty high, as his performance was a very good L1 striker's performance. Good movement, strong on the ball, got a goal. I was very happy with him
  • I think it should be noted that their keeper was their MOM. We did not make him look good, he was the difference between the 2-0 result and a possible 5-0. He denied BWP at least 3 more goals by getting a block with his legs when a goal was looking in from where I was sitting.
    Mark him how you see it, but I thought many strikers at the highest level would have hidden rather than keep putting the effort and energy in that he did.
  • I didn't mark him but if I had would have given him at least an 8. The worst chance he missed was the header. The one on one in the first half was difficult as he had to get it over the keeper and then down in a short distance. In the second half the keeper made a good save and then his last chance was in until the keeper stuck his leg out and made a great save. His work rate was good too. Can't see a problem at all. In fact make it a 9 from me.
  • MLF By your marking you had BWP as our least effective player. That is your opinion but the majority of Lifers marked (and commented) that on performance alone, JJ was our least effective player, on the day. Did you see something in JJ's peformance which the majority missed? BWP should not be marked solely on how many he scores (although it clearly is a significant element of the marking) but on his overall contribution to the team. Yes he missed two excellent chances in the first half but credit Day with some saves and in the end BWP got the goal which ended the contest. I agree that his finishing was not what he (or we) would wish and maybe some marked him slightly higher out of a sense of support for him but if you just mark on goals alone then Yann would be well down the marks. And we all know just how great he was and continues to be.
  • edited February 2012
    It's strange.

It's obvious the whole drought thing had been playing heavily on his mind. Yet I reckon despite finally breaking the duck, he came off just as Peed off as he has done in every other game.

Saying he did what he had to do, and he hit the target etc is doing an unecessary softening. We don't need coaxing and convincing, we know he has strong striking ability. Which is exactly why we, his team mates, his manager and himself would expect him to better with the other four clear chances he had.

Had Hamer have pulled off one top class save, yet dropped two regulation crosses, three one straight to their striker and let one through his hands, I know how he would.be judged.

Whilst on the subject, the Covered End were absolutely immense yesterday in their backing of Bradley. Real, proper support, which you could see he appreciated.
  • I haven't got round to giving marks yet but he'll get at least a 7 from me. Thought he worked his socks off throughout, giving their defense a torrid time. As for the comment "his finishing was woeful" Do me a favour!
    You mean he made the keeper make a couple of regulation blocks and the other chances he put off target.
    Don't insult him by trying to pretend that was a good display of finishing.

I agree with Tango, he gave 100% yesterday, as did all the team, but with the added pressure of not scoring for however many games it was, that marks him up in my book. He isn't a premiership world class striker, else he wouldn't be here, but he forced their keeper into pulling off some good saves. He tried time and again and as others have said, didn't go hiding! I suppose Chris Powell and Gary Smith were both wrong about the Stevenage keeper having a good game too were they?
  • Sponsored links:

• I gave him a 7 and thought I was being very generous. His goal was an OG as it was going wide and he missed 5 great chances, 2 over the top and 3 hit straight at their keeper. If we had not won people would have been well pissed off.

That said, he kept going and did not hide, and ultimately at least he was in those positions to get the chances which is why I gave him the score I did.

Interestingly I took 2 chaps with me who are not fans and they both came out saying how well we played and how enjoyable the game was but how bad BWP was so there is an independent view!
  • I agree with AFKA. Covered End support for him is what being a supporter rather than a spectator is all about. I'll be backing him to score on Tuesday.
  • Good arguments, for the most part. Keep going guys. You've already convinced me to push my 6 up to 6.5 !!!
    Thank you Sir Bruce

• I thought he was outstanding yesterday and I don't think some people are giving the goal keeper the credit he deserves .

BWP caused that back four more problems than I suspect they have had all season.
    Some people have a downer on him even before he starts but as you can see from the majority of votes , he a had one of his best games yesterday .
  • I don't think that anyone could be too critical of yesterdays performance, but I also thought he got in the right positions on Tuesday night,

Thing is bwp needs to start finding the net again because his own reaction yesterday was one of a hurting footballer

It was great to hear and see the support he got but you do wonder how long that support will remain

Varney used to put in a shift but that only got him so much slack
  • I agree with AFKA. Covered End support for him is what being a supporter rather than a spectator is all about. I'll be backing him to score on Tuesday.
    agree 100% and i was singing his name to get his confidence up and applauded him off. Having said that I know which position I would like to be top of our shopping list for next year.
  • One thing that really bores me is BWP getting into a great position through his own ability, shooting, having a shot well saved, and inevitably having someone behind you say 'he would have buried that earlier in the season' every time. Sure, he had a great run of goals for us, but he didn't score every chance he had, yet people seem to think he had a perfect shots to goals ratio. We get it, he scored more before than he is now, you don't have to mention it every time he gets near the ball
  • I gave him a 7 and thought I was being very generous. His goal was an OG as it was going wide and he missed 5 great chances, 2 over the top and 3 hit straight at their keeper. If we had not won people would have been well pissed off.
    His shot was going in. FACT. And Morrisons shot took a deflection, so does that go down as an OG too? BWP probably scored the harder of the chances that fell to him and at least he got into the positions to have those chances. He hasn't banged in 15 so far this season by being a crap striker.

• From where I was sitting in the East it looked like BWP's goal, but granted it wasn't the greatest of angles, so am happy to be corrected. For everyone's sake though it should be his goal :)

Is it just me or has he been getting more support during his barren spell than when he was banging them in for fun? Earlier in the season there seemed to be a few dissenters calling him lazy and disinterested in spite of his prolific form, but recently the support for him has been great, especially after the header he missed in the first half. For the record I still think he's a quality lg1 forward who'd more than do a job with the right service at Championship level.
  • edited February 2012
    I gave him a 7 and thought I was being very generous. His goal was an OG as it was going wide and he missed 5 great chances, 2 over the top and 3 hit straight at their keeper.
    I also gave him a seven and said to my son when he scored 'thats it, the monkey is off his back now' only for him to go and miss another couple of one on ones Doh! However he was getting into the right areas and was hitting the target but fair play to the the keeper he was expecting the shots close to his feet every time which is what strikers are taught to do aren't they? How many times do you see a keeper get nutmegged....... loads. Unfortunately on the day their keeper was wise to it or got lucky! Finally I have freeze framed BWP's goal on Sky Plus and the defender could do nothing about the shot which was on its way in. BWP did exceptionally well to create the chance and give us some breathing space so an extra mark for that alone.