Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wright-Philips yesterday...

2»

Comments

• Options
    I gave him a 7 and thought I was being very generous. His goal was an OG as it was going wide and he missed 5 great chances, 2 over the top and 3 hit straight at their keeper.
    I also gave him a seven and said to my son when he scored 'thats it, the monkey is off his back now' only for him to go and miss another couple of one on ones Doh! However he was getting into the right areas and was hitting the target but fair play to the the keeper he was expecting the shots close to his feet every time which is what strikers are taught to do aren't they? How many times do you see a keeper get nutmegged....... loads. Unfortunately on the day their keeper was wise to it or got lucky! Finally I have freeze framed BWP's goal on Sky Plus and the defender could do nothing about the shot which was on its way in. BWP did exceptionally well to create the chance and give us some breathing space so an extra mark for that alone.
    Pepe Reina got nutmegged twice today and he's one of the best keepers in the world
  • Options
    I rest my case Gazza
  • Options
    Prob is step up level like we will next season he might not get 5 chances so got to be more clinical.
    Yeah ok keeper made saves but they weren't hard saves.
    He's still better than Shaun
  • Options
    I hate this thread.........to my mind BWP only "missed" one chance yesterdau and that was the header in the first half. As Large says, the chip was a very hard chance as he had to get in over the keeper & into the net in a short space of time and all the shots in the 2nd half were on target - the reason he only scored once is mainly down to their goalkeeper doing his job..........or is that not allowed anymore ???
  • Options
    Worked his b*llocks off. Got into the spaces to make the chances, May have only have scored one but another day probally would of had a hatrick. Quality performance regardless!
  • Options
    The fact that BWP got in the position to have the chances deserves recognition. We know that he is capable of being very sharp and the hope and expectation is that now he has got his goal, normal service will resume. A perfectly reasonable presumption -he is the same person with the same abilities.
  • Options
    I hate this thread.........to my mind BWP only "missed" one chance yesterdau and that was the header in the first half. As Large says, the chip was a very hard chance as he had to get in over the keeper & into the net in a short space of time and all the shots in the 2nd half were on target - the reason he only scored once is mainly down to their goalkeeper doing his job..........or is that not allowed anymore ???

A BWP on form wouldnt have gone for the lob IMO, The last one on one i would say was a gilt edged miss as the ball struck the keeper centrally not at full stretch whenb the corner of the goal was gaping so he missed 3 chances

• Options
    If he had missed 5 chances, then yes a high score would be bad, but, the header the cross didn't drop enough, the chip well was poor. However the others, he did what you need to do, which is hit the target, if the keeper saves it, then credit the keeper. But he got himself into positions, and was a pain for Stevenage to handle. Worth the decent scores for me
    this

• Options
    He "missed" one sitter, the lob first half, the other "gilt edged" chances all hit the target, but credit to Day who saved well. On another day/another keeper BWP could get a hat-trick doing the same again. Thought he terrorised their back four yesterday and created the chances with his pace and movement. If he plays like that for the rest of the season, he will score goals and we will win games.
    I agree. Day (annoyingly) played a blinder. It wasn't only Bradders that had a host of chances saved.
  • Options

...And Morrisons shot took a deflection, so does that go down as an OG too? BWP probably scored the harder of the chances that fell to him and at least he got into the positions to have those chances. He hasn't banged in 15 so far this season by being a crap striker.
    If the initial trajectory of a shot/header is going into the goal but takes a deflection on its way its classed as a standard goal. If the initial trajectory is going wide but the deflection takes it into the goal its classed as an OG.

We sit in line with BWP's `goal' on Saturday and all agreed it was going wide but for me thats not the important bit. The important bit is if BWP `feels' he scored. I got the impression his celebration was more for a goal being scored and not because he scored it. His actions certainly caused a goal to be scored but I think in his heart of hearts he knows he actually missed but there you go.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I generally give an extra mark for getting a goal and I felt his performance warranted at least a 7 for his movement and getting in the right spaces for chances. He was involved in a very positive way all game. That's why he got an 8 from me, 7 for the performance then the extra one for the goal.
  • Options
    We sit in line with BWP's `goal' on Saturday and all agreed it was going wide but for me thats not the important bit. The important bit is if BWP `feels' he scored. I got the impression his celebration was more for a goal being scored and not because he scored it. His actions certainly caused a goal to be scored but I think in his heart of hearts he knows he actually missed but there you go.

This is what I also heard from some friends who were in line with the shot and it also looked fairly dodgy on the telly, which is why I think we need to wait a little longer for BWP to really get the monkey off his back.

• Options
    Torres was criticised on MOTD for not getting into dangerous positions, as if he wasn't confident he would score.
    Carroll yesterday was criticised for not getting into dangerous positions in the box, and hence posing little goal threat.

BWP by contrast had excellent movement, and got into lots of dangerous positions, thus giving himself the chance to score. His finishing wasn't brilliant, but you have to credit the keeper for many of the one on ones.
  • Options
    Torres was criticised on MOTD for not getting into dangerous positions, as if he wasn't confident he would score.
    Carroll yesterday was criticised for not getting into dangerous positions in the box, and hence posing little goal threat.

BWP by contrast had excellent movement, and got into lots of dangerous positions, thus giving himself the chance to score. His finishing wasn't brilliant, but you have to credit the keeper for many of the one on ones.
    well said

• Options
    I gave him a seven, for pretty much the reasons offered already.

He got into great positions, and managed to score/cause a goal. If he'd scored a couple more he would've got a higher mark.

But his overall play and workrate was top notch.
  • Options
    Im not a fan, mainly his attitude and not his performance. However, I think his attitude and application has improved and he is genuinely part of this team. I thought the header was the only real bad miss. The rest was a combination of bad luck and a little lack of confidence. It will come, he is starting to read kermongant and they look deadly.
  • Options
    I gave him a 7 and thought I was being very generous. His goal was an OG as it was going wide and he missed 5 great chances, 2 over the top and 3 hit straight at their keeper. If we had not won people would have been well pissed off.
    His shot was going in. FACT. And Morrisons shot took a deflection, so does that go down as an OG too? BWP probably scored the harder of the chances that fell to him and at least he got into the positions to have those chances. He hasn't banged in 15 so far this season by being a crap striker.

Not a FACT at all. I sat in line with it in the West Stand and also watched it on the TV and would disagree, at the end of the day I don't really care cause it has gone to BWP so hopefully that will give him confidence going forwards which is the most important thing. I said in my original post i marked him 7 as he had got in the positions and kept on going...strange how you chose not to quote that part of what I had said? I am also not sure where i said he was a crap striker...oh, I just checked and...I didn't.
  • Options
    If BWP was a striker that got himself into 5 or 6 goalscoring opportunites every game with the relative ease he seems to do it with and makes chances out of nothing yet managed to finish all/ most of them he'd more likely be playing regularly at the Nou Camp as opposed to The Valley.

• Options
    It's strange.

It's obvious the whole drought thing had been playing heavily on his mind. Yet I reckon despite finally breaking the duck, he came off just as Peed off as he has done in every other game.

Saying he did what he had to do, and he hit the target etc is doing an unecessary softening. We don't need coaxing and convincing, we know he has strong striking ability. Which is exactly why we, his team mates, his manager and himself would expect him to better with the other four clear chances he had.

Had Hamer have pulled off one top class save, yet dropped two regulation crosses, three one straight to their striker and let one through his hands, I know how he would.be judged.

Whilst on the subject, the Covered End were absolutely immense yesterday in their backing of Bradley. Real, proper support, which you could see he appreciated.
    I think a fairer comparison there AFKA would be if he put the ball over the stand on one occasion and wide/over the bar on the other two. He hit the target and on another day another keeper wouldn't have made the saves and he would have had two or three goals.
  • Options
    I gave him a 7 because of his work rate and the fact he got through on goal alot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this annoies me when people say 'its not his goal it was an OG' cant we just agree that its his and hope that it triggers more of the form that we saw from him at the start of the season
  • Options
    The important bit is if BWP `feels' he scored. I got the impression his celebration was more for a goal being scored and not because he scored it. His actions certainly caused a goal to be scored but I think in his heart of hearts he knows he actually missed but there you go.
    His reaction to missing that final chance seemed to suggest he's still not very happy with himself.

I'm put in mind of when Euell first joined us. He was under a bit of pressure because of his price tag, and I seem to remember him missing a few chances early in his time with us (I think there was one where he hit the post from about 3 yards out vs, maybe, Derby). His confidence seemed to suffer and we were starting to worry we'd bought a lemon. Then he got a scruffy one and we all thought that might kick him on but he still seemed a bit low on confidence. I may be mis-remebering all this, but the goal that really kick-started Euell's time with us was his lovely finish to make it 4-2 at Arsenal. It always struck me that in Euell's mind he'd scored his first 'proper' goal for us where he was put into a goalscoring and finished the chance in the manner he intended, not with the aid of a deflection or a lucky bounce.

I wonder if BWP is going through the same thought process. Hopefully he'll finish one with aplomb sooner rather than later.

• Options
    Would Yann have stuck more of Bradley's 5 chances away?
  • Options
    well as long as wright phillips lays on the chances for him as kermorgant played wright phillips for at least two maybe three of his.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Yes
    Would he have got into those sort of positions as often as BWP?

Don't think so, mainly because he's often involved in the move to create the chance.

Could also argue we're yet to see how good Yann's finishing really is, I can't really remember him going through on goal. His goals have mainly come from free kicks, headers and chances he shouldn't miss.
  • Options
    BWP could of had a hatfull but he's movement was excellent and seems not to be shying away despite being totally off his good finishing form. i was very frustrated at half time and i'm not one of these idiots that boo but i did express my anger with my private group whilst having a beer at half time. and i agree 100% that if that game would of gone the other way he would have had a lot of lower ratings and people would calling for him to be dropped.

but it didn't.