Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham

124»

Comments

• Options
    It seems a bit of a strange one but he lost more games than he won, with over half of his games in charge being in League 2. 
  • Options
    I think its a strange decision 

The owners spent really well last January and again in the summer but are up against some really dynamic teams on the up. Wrexham, Notts County, Stockport, Colchester are resurgent under a bloke we know, Salford have cash and whilst they are stalled at the moment they are a shark in that division. They were leaking goals for fun and Harris stopped that, unfortunately for him he refuses to drop Shaun Williams who like O'Keefe before him, he exists to kick people and slow the game down which in turn is slowing Gillingham down as an attacking threat. They also have a lot of injuries but like us, with a filly fit or even 90% fit squad they can go up 
  • Options
    It seems a bit of a strange one but he lost more games than he won, with over half of his games in charge being in League 2. 
    I don't think you can count the first half of last season when they were going round the crowd to see if anyone brought their boots before naming the bench.

Could they be doing a bit better with their budget?  Possibly but they are hardly off the pace are they?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think you can count the first half of last season when they were going round the crowd to see if anyone brought their boots before naming the bench.

Could they be doing a bit better with their budget?  Possibly but they are hardly off the pace are they?
    Why can't we include the first half of last season? It happened didnt it?
  • Options
    My Millwall mate said Harris is good on man management but not tactics (like Holden). 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Because they had no money and no players?  If you look back at last season it was a miracle they weren't dead and buried by the time the transfer window opened.

After they were taken over they then spent some money in that window and climbed up the league.  It wouldn't be realistic to expect any more than he achieved last season.

I think it's very harsh to sack someone on the back of 3 results but I suspect there is probably more to it.
  • Options
    The rumour from Gillingham fans, (those who can read and write) is Karl Robinson 
  • Options
    Would be a decent appointment.
  • Options
    Yeah he'd be a very good appointment for a league 2 side.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Because they had no money and no players?  If you look back at last season it was a miracle they weren't dead and buried by the time the transfer window opened.

After they were taken over they then spent some money in that window and climbed up the league.  It wouldn't be realistic to expect any more than he achieved last season.

I think it's very harsh to sack someone on the back of 3 results but I suspect there is probably more to it.
    But it still happened

shall we amend bowyers record at Charlton so that it doesn't include the southall era? 

You can't re-write history and the history books will show that Harris lost more than he won at gillingham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAgree said:
    The rumour from Gillingham fans, (those who can read and write) is Karl Robinson 
    Do they have a ladies team?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But it still happened

shall we amend bowyers record at Charlton so that it doesn't include the southall era? 

You can't re-write history and the history books will show that Harris lost more than he won at gillingham
    No you shouldn't rewrite history but statistics without context are meaningless.

You said he lost more games than he won, I gave context.
  • Options
    Big rumour that Steve Bruce might be returning there nearly 40 years after leaving as a player.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Big rumour that Steve Bruce might be returning there nearly 40 years after leaving as a player.
    Surely not!

They would have been chuffed to be linked with Karl Robinson but to then unveil Bruce would be a massive negative.  Poor manager who I can't imagine knows a thing about league 2 football.  That would be a shocking decision
  • Options
    Didn't they get rid of Harris because of his style of football? Would Hiring Bruce be any different? An American owner with no prior experience in football conduction the search too, where have we heard that before?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Steve Bruce?  He'll never be able to play two games a week!
  • Options
    Fire up the XJ8!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Richard J said:
    Surely not!

They would have been chuffed to be linked with Karl Robinson but to then unveil Bruce would be a massive negative.  Poor manager who I can't imagine knows a thing about league 2 football.  That would be a shocking decision
    Mark Hughes flopped at Bradford too.

You wouldn't want Steve Evans managing in the PL, but he's exactly the sort of manager you need to get out of L2
  • Options
    I think Steve Bruce gets a raw deal with the media and wider opinion of him, had a 20 nearly 25 year career in management. 37% win record, hasn't been at many clubs who are up the top end and winning trophies so not to be sniffed at. He's got clubs promoted and is a big figure in the game. I wouldn't class him as a dinosaur, the last couple of jobs he has had have been thankless 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing 3-1 their goal scored by Bonne