Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester Utd Yth v Charlton Ath Yth - FA Youth Cup Quarter Final 29 February 2012 - Match Thread

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    I thought you could gain entry with either a Valley Gold card or season ticket book.
  • Options
    Just back from the match ( stayed up after the Chesterfield game). Great entertainment and in my view Charlton were the better team while United had a lot of pace and a couple of stand-out players who managed to drag the rest of their team over the finish line. Maybe the story would have been different without the late injury which could easily have merited a red card for United's No 3.
    A couple of points in United's favour in terms of hospitality: free parking at the ground (could have been notified of that beforehand though) and a complimentary team sheet.
    On the downside and very surprising in my view: no crowd segregation - I'd have preferred to have been in a dedicated away support area personally; the shirt numbers on the teamsheet for Charlton bore little resemblance to the actual numbers worn (and I'm sure Callum must have appreciated being called Marriott!); and a complete underestimation of the number of seats that were going to be needed, causing some chaos and the need to open up extra areas!
    The players I liked from our team were Fox (I think) - at least whoever was wearing No 3 - and Sho-Silva.
  • Options
    I thought you could gain entry with either a Valley Gold card or season ticket book.
    Still pretty restrictive, especially as this is a superb time to try and win more casual fans over on the whole concept of heading to Sparrows on a dull morning/just before moving onto Valley for a home game.

• Options
    I hope Fox gets a pro contract. Was impressed by the whole team tbh, but obviously Sho-Silva looked good. Holmes is some prospect as well, fantastic tackling. Also liked Ajayi at the back.

Callum Harriot has got plenty of talent, though his decision making is a bit erratic. I know he's young, but they all are. He's got a lot of promise though if they can help him put it all together.
  • Options
    Could hear our fans a fair bit aswell!
  • Options
    Just trawled back to page 5 for the result. Will not believe it until it's on the OS - which it isn't.
  • Options
    Great effort. We were definitely the best, although not by a lot. I think we may well have won if it had stayed at 11 v 11.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Just back from the match ( stayed up after the Chesterfield game). Great entertainment and in my view Charlton were the better team while United had a lot of pace and a couple of stand-out players who managed to drag the rest of their team over the finish line. Maybe the story would have been different without the late injury which could easily have merited a red card for United's No 3.
    A couple of points in United's favour in terms of hospitality: free parking at the ground (could have been notified of that beforehand though) and a complimentary team sheet.
    On the downside and very surprising in my view: no crowd segregation - I'd have preferred to have been in a dedicated away support area personally; the shirt numbers on the teamsheet for Charlton bore little resemblance to the actual numbers worn (and I'm sure Callum must have appreciated being called Marriott!); and a complete underestimation of the number of seats that were going to be needed, causing some chaos and the need to open up extra areas!
    The players I liked from our team were Fox (I think) - at least whoever was wearing No 3 - and Sho-Silva.
    Definitely agree about the crowd segregation at least, not happy about having a screwdriver thrown at us. But very happy with the performance on the night, shame about the result. Is there anyway of finding match highlights? I know you can if you sign up to MUTV online but I'm not spending £4.50 just for the highlights haha.
  • Options
    Fox was 3, yes. United messed up the Charlton numbers completely. Was not the side indicated by team sheet out there.
  • Options
    so I wasn't watching who I thought I was watching - oh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton Live's match report from Old Trafford
    http://www.charltonlive.co.uk/?p=1442#more-1442
  • Options
    so I wasn't watching who I thought I was watching - oh!
    who did you think you were watching what number?

• Options
    I don't know, all I know is the numbers against the names on the team sheet. Nowhere in any report do they give the correct numbers and names. All I know is that I thought our number 3 and 4 were very good, as well as many others.
  • Options
    Seen loads of match reports, would love video highlights!
  • Options
    I don't know, all I know is the numbers against the names on the team sheet. Nowhere in any report do they give the correct numbers and names. All I know is that I thought our number 3 and 4 were very good, as well as many others.
    no 3 was Morgan Fox LB and no 4 was Diego Poyet CM

• Options
    Squad list from United game, courtesy of cafc.co.uk - have added correct shirt numbers on the night:

1.Phillips; 2.Cousins, 3.Fox, 5.Ajayi, 6.Lennon (12.Osborne 82); 4.Poyet, 8.Holmes-Dennis (Gerard 79), 7.Muldoon, 10.Harriott; 11.Sho-Silva, 9.Piggott (15.Azeez 77).

Gerard the only one I cannot remember immediately off top of head - needless to say was either 14 or 16.

The side lost 2-1 at home to Birmingham this lunchtime, changed squad from the midweek heartbreak but nonetheless disappointed not to build on one-goal lead after Ajayi scored in 4th minute and eventually have it turned around. 14-year-old Joe Gomez impressed at right-back (he's played a handful of league games at natural CB position so far). More details to come