Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Britain's best beach

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]wells-next-the-sea.

took us forever to get to the sea from the harbour.

I used to spend my summers there in my youth. My auntie had a caravan there. Best Fish n Chip shop in the world on the harbour...

I've been to that Chip shop on the front. Great nosh. Had to go next door for a cup of tea where they poured it from one huge pot into row after row of cups. Classy.
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited February 2007
    05.jpg

One of my favourite views in the summer (and quite typical as I get back in the pavilion too quickly!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]They have some funny saints in Cornwall!

Stayed in Padstow in Rick Stein's hotel before he was a TV star. Fantastic breakfast.

I guess £450/£350 isn't too bad for a week but cos my son is at school we have to go during peak times. Wife's sister has a flat at Old Hunstanton so that is very cheap!

Anyone got a cottage in Cornwall they want to lend to a Charlton fan for free?

I now call Padstow 'Steinville'. A couple of restaurants, fish and chip shop, hotel, gift shop, tea shop and a cookery school. Taking over the place. Can't move there now for all the tourists and the parking is a joke. And he isn't even bloody Cornish !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Got a cottage in North Cornwall - Port Gaverne (Port Isaac) - for the week at Whit for £350.
    Next door to a great little pub, and the beach (just about a beach!) and cliffs etc. - great spot and cheap. 5 mins walk into Port Gaverne, not far from Rock etc.

Pub at Trabarwith Strand is excellant in the summer for the sunset. Good food and a lovely pint too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Plenty of good Cornish beaches: Perranporth for sheer size.

Locally agree with Kingsgate. Not a beach but St Margaret's Bay reminds me of the Med on a hot, sunny day.

boscastle and tintagel are also spectacular, i went there a month before the flood.

gower penninsular in wales is also superb for a weekend break in a tent.
  • Options
    Woolacombe, Putsborough, Saunton and Croyde... beautiful beaches and a fantastic walk along the Nth Devon Coastal Path every summer from 1995 to 2004 we stayed at the Woolacombe Bay Hotel, glorious
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]05.jpg

One of my favourite views in the summer (and quite typical as I get back in the pavilion too quickly!)

sco, that isnt southborough is it?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    clovelly is a very pretty village if somewhat steep and hartland point also very spectacular. no beaches though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]sco, that isnt southborough is it?

Yep, best photo I could find (took it meself) - many more grounds that are lovelier all round, but a nice backdrop isn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've always enjoyed stopping there to watch a few overs, also at Frant too. Neither have got much of a beach though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spent half my life in southborough
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Plenty of good Cornish beaches: Perranporth for sheer size.

Locally agree with Kingsgate. Not a beach but St Margaret's Bay reminds me of the Med on a hot, sunny day.

boscastle and tintagel are also spectacular, i went there a month before the flood.

gower penninsular in wales is also superb for a weekend break in a tent.

Agree about The Gower in a tent. Beautiful place. There are some lovely beaches in Wales off of Pembrokeshire and Cardiganshire too.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    thanks brings us nicely back to where this thread started.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]There are some lovely beaches in Wales off of Pembrokeshire and Cardiganshire too.

that's where i really wanted to go with the family this year.meant to be fantastic there.
  • Options
    Henry - that is apx. £350 for the week at Whit half-term.

Large - I agree Trebarwith Strand is a beautiful spot and a great beach when the tide is out - great waves and rockpools - almost up there with a Gower beach!
    And that pub at the top is a great spot for a couple of pints and savouring the view (now that is something you definitelty don't get in the Gower). There is a decent pub about half a mile back up the road too jsut before you get to the Trebarwith Strand.
  • Options
    by the gower, we stayed on a big campsite with great facilities, there was a pub up the country lane about 20 mins walk away, we went there and watched england play then italy beat wales 6-0 or whatever it was.

hilarious whatever the result was! lots of angry welsh around that night
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Suzi / Len - out of interest, where in the Gower do you camp?
    And do you share a tent?!

PS enjoy the beaches while you can before they get dredged away - some I enjoyed as a child are now sand-free - gowersos-keyframe.net
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]The best ones are all in Scotland - we've got more than there's room to list- and yes, the sun does shine too.

I think you should advertise your business here. You never know, you might get a few takers.

See you Saturday
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]by the gower, we stayed on a big campsite with great facilities, there was a pub up the country lane about 20 mins walk away

Rhossilli ?
  • Options
    can't remember too much, i think Llangennith, the pub i think was the kings head, and i think the caravan site was the hill end.

i only remember it took a short while to get to wales and then about 4 hours to go down the a roads to the camp site.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woolacombe Bay in Devon is beautiful and was voted best and cleanest beach a few years back.
  • Options
    Oh yeah - that's what I meant actually!
    I walked through there on Thursday - parked at Rhossilli, came over Rhossilli Down (highest point in Gower), through the campsite and about two miles (?) back along Rhossilli beach - very, very, very bracing it was too.

A great walk, if you go again, is to cross the Worms Head causeway onto Worms Head and if possible walk out to the far end .... there's only apx 5hrs between tides when the causeway is accessible, so to go the whole way you'd need to cross at the start of that to be safe! Can usually see seals and rays - puffins occaisonally, not that I ever have.

What's the Kings Head like?
    Gower (indeed Swansea) is not exactly endowed with characterful pubs.
  • Options
    i remember it being nice and friendly. good food too. we played a great game to get everyone involved in the football and had locals joining in with us. everyone puts £1 in a shot glass. everytime the ball goes out of play you pass the shot glass on. if a goal is scored when you have the glass you pocket the money. if someone gets booked whilst you have possession you have to put in another £1, if sent off then £2. the person with the glass at half time pockets it. you start again with everyone putting in £1. the person who has it at full time pockets it too. y ou can win quite a lot and it keeps people interested.

we stopped playing it halfway through the wales game, as it got a bit expensive and the locals got a bit annoyed with us for cheering the goals that went in for italy. :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Can't seem to quote Salad from the previous page.

I camped 30 years ago now above Oxwich Bay and also near Rhossilli (?spelling).

I don't remember a formal camp site though. The four of us just pitched on the Cliff top.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Len - that first one sounds like the campsite above Three Cliffs Bay (see best British views above), which is one end of Oxwich Bay - assuming you were on a campsite of sorts that is.

travel.independent.co.uk/article621989.ece
  • Options
    FAO SHAG..............
    I would have agreed with you on the joss bay until last year. used to be lovely until i found my foot millimeters from a scag heads needle. will never go there again.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There are some really beautifull beaches in the UK.
    Cornwall and Devon have some amazing scenery, but it all depends on what you want.

Kimmeridge near Bournemouth is amazing.

Joss, stone and Kingsgate can be amazing.

Yorkshire has some fantastic beaches too believe it or not!!

I get to see allot of beaches with my "hobby"
  • Options
    Reading this i was expecting to see a few beaches that i've been to and liked.

There's loads i could mention but that would take forever.

If your talking about the same Rossilli in Wales as the same one i've been to a fair few times, that one is nice.

Think it's the one where you have to walk through park/woods to get to the beach, and theres a golf course around there too. Don't think Rossilli is just a beach , it's also a massive national park as well.

Great uncle/aunt don't live to far from there either.
  • Options
    Wait till you go and visit your mate in Kintyre, Bex_Red - now those are real beaches!
  • Options
    haha yeah i stayed near the Corran ferry, soemtime last year for a week or two.

We did go over Mull's island but we didn't go to Mull as it was too far.

Always had some weird thought of going over to the beaches in Mull and singing Valley Flloyd Road.