Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonderful Messi

13»

Comments

• Options
    You can hate the fact that he'll never play for us. Mind you, would we know what to do with him - would be akin to Kylie finally agreeing to my wishes....
  • Options
    You can hate the fact that he'll never play for us. Mind you, would we know what to do with him - would be akin to Kylie finally agreeing to my wishes....
    Allan Simonsen did. The "Messi" of his day.
  • Options
    I'm a football fan and watching Barcelona is simply wonderful. Messi is the jewel in the crown of perhaps the greatest football team ever.
  • Options
    Just bloody amazing.
    He's got a great temperament too.
    Good job he's not English - we would have destroyed him by now
    He gets the poo kicked out of him every game and just gets up, smiles and wants to play. Genuinely loves the game

I think this is what makes him the best role model in modern football around. There have been some terrific players around over the last decade, capable of some sublime stuff...think Henry, Bergkamp, Zidane et al....but this little fella is not only better than any of them but has such a great attitude to the game as well.

He reminds me of Zola or dare I say it Chrissy Powell in giving the impression he would play for the enjoyment alone if he had to.
  • Options
    Off thread but my mate had Zola in the back off his cab yesterday. No tip apparently !
  • Options
    Off thread but my mate had Zola in the back off his cab yesterday. No tip apparently !
    I take it back then, what a.......
  • Options
    Saying that, I still think he plays in a piss poor league that doesnt challenge him at all.
    Reckon it would be really interesting to see how he would do against teams like spurs, stoke, sunderland week in week out.
    Serious ? The Spanish League is technically miles ahead of the Premier League. Just because the top two sides are miles ahead of the rest doesn't mean the "rest" are bobbins. The English League has only recently become more competitive (i.e. not Man United/Chelsea or Man Utd/Arsenal miles ahead of everyone else) because of an overall reduction in quality.
    Doesnt match the pace of the premiership. Apart from the next maybe four teams in that league (athletico, villareal etc) the rest are pretty shite.

• Options
    Saying that, I still think he plays in a piss poor league that doesnt challenge him at all.
    Reckon it would be really interesting to see how he would do against teams like spurs, stoke, sunderland week in week out.
    Serious ? The Spanish League is technically miles ahead of the Premier League. Just because the top two sides are miles ahead of the rest doesn't mean the "rest" are bobbins. The English League has only recently become more competitive (i.e. not Man United/Chelsea or Man Utd/Arsenal miles ahead of everyone else) because of an overall reduction in quality.
    Doesnt match the pace of the premiership. Apart from the next maybe four teams in that league (athletico, villareal etc) the rest are pretty shite.

So you're of the opinion he wouldn't be the player he is if he played in England because our football is all helter skelter, 100mph, stuff? Personally I think he would rip the likes of Stoke, QPR, Everton and even the Arsenal's, Spurs and Chelseas to pieces.
  • Options

So you're of the opinion he wouldn't be the player he is if he played in England because our football is all helter skelter, 100mph, stuff? Personally I think he would rip the likes of Stoke, QPR, Everton and even the Arsenal's, Spurs and Chelseas to pieces.
    Exactly BA. Look in the champions league. That is played at fast pace and Messi has ripped many apart.

There is no doubt the premiership is played at a faster pace but it doesnt make our teams better (as the progression of our champions league teams prove).
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Apart from the next maybe four teams in that league (athletico, villareal etc) the rest are pretty shite.
    Firstly, Athletico and Villareal aren't the next best teams in the league. Secondly, the standard is pretty equal throughout the league after the top 2. 10 points separate 5th (Bilbao) to 17th (Villareal).

I think the bottom 5 of the Premiership highlight how poor the standard is at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team stay up with 30 points. QPR could feasibly not win another game.

Given Messi destroyed Man Utd in the Champions League Final, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a problem with the remaining 19 teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched that documentary about Messi last night on Itv 4 , they said he'd scored 17 hat tricks in his career , and he's only 24 years old ( Possibly 18 Hat tricks now , didn't know if it included the 5 goals he got last night) puts it in perspective how we get excited with BWP scoring 1 , goodness knows what we'd be doing if we had a player that had score 17 hat tricks!
    We would be in massive debt, like Barcelona.
    surely a joke? Aren't they one of the few in the world making a significant profit?
  • Options
    I watched that documentary about Messi last night on Itv 4 , they said he'd scored 17 hat tricks in his career , and he's only 24 years old ( Possibly 18 Hat tricks now , didn't know if it included the 5 goals he got last night) puts it in perspective how we get excited with BWP scoring 1 , goodness knows what we'd be doing if we had a player that had score 17 hat tricks!
    We would be in massive debt, like Barcelona.
    surely a joke? Aren't they one of the few in the world making a significant profit?
    Yes and no. They're making profit NOW, but they weren't a few years ago, and decades of trying to keep place with the General's XI meant massive debt in the background. Admittedly, it's still 'cleaner' debt than, say, Valencia's (most of it is technically 'owed' by the members, and in loans that (until the recent financial woes in Spain in any case) were never likely to be called in) but it is debt nonetheless. Witness the recent sponsorship deals with Qatar and Turkish Airlines (only a few years ago, for instance, a shirt sponsor would have been unthinkable) and the development of La Masia into the best youth system in the world (contrary to popular belief, that was done through necessity to control costs, not because of some altruistic desire to develop kids). All 'Big Clubs' are massively in debt - it's the way football works. However, in a couple of years' time, Barca will be the healthiest club in the world, financially speaking - with the groundwork laid for future (sustainable) growth through the youth team and expansion into markets hitherto monopolised by ManYoo and Real (the far east, for instance)

PS: 80% of the teams in la Liga would turn over their equivalent counterparts in the Premiership. The top is slightly more competitive - there are, for instance, three teams who could win the Premiership this year, whilst there are only two in La Liga, and the teams immediately below them would beat their Spanish counterparts more often than not, but the mid-table sides in Spain would tonk the likes of Fulham, Norwich, QPR and Sunderland absolutely out of sight, and Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan et. al wouldn;t have a hope in hell of living with most of the relegation fodder in Spain.
  • Options
    that 'too small' 'wouldnt play well against the likes of Stoke' argument doesnt hold up.

David Silva.
  • Options
    *comes in expecting a long Leroy post on La Liga*

*leaves satisfied*
  • Options

Didnt say that, said it would be interesting to see how he does.
    For one thing, he wouldnt be getting records like 17 games per trophy and he wouldnt have the same players in his own team who have a great understanding with him

Would still be amazing, but dont see him being as successful anywhere else as Barca
  • Options

Doesnt match the pace of the premiership.
    Are you watching Bilbao at Old Trafford at the moment?
  • Options
    Anyone else watching Man U (2nd in premier league) getting outclassed by Bilbao (5th in La Liga)?
  • Options
    bilbao have torn united a new bumhole
  • Options
    wtf happened at the end ... united player loses boot and the ref gives bilbao a free kick the united players were saying why why and asking bilbao to give it back
    bilbao knocked it forward shot was well saved and parried and rafael stood and watched it from the edge of box and let the bilbao player who was ten yards behind him when ball was saved run past him and score the rebound
    rooney got a late penalty to make final score 2-3

really bizarre
  • Options
    they just said if you dont have two boots on it is an offence and free kick , hence bilbao free kick

is that a new rule ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like it - bloody stupid if you ask me. What is it? Health and safety ffs?
  • Options
    outplayed, outclassed and outsung! The spanish can travel when they want.
  • Options
    Playing the ball when wearing one or no boots is a foul.

Not a new rule just one that rarely is called to action.
  • Options
    The spanish can travel when they want.
    yeah proper weird that , spanish teams don't travel in numbers in Spain ..........
    although i'm sure they all live in London where every football fan in the world does like the man utd fans