Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New F1 season

Comments

• Options
    You wouldn't have had any F1 on telly if it wasn't for Sky coming in to rescue the BBC deal
    Indeed (first time in 10 years that I've agreed with you) and the same for football. Whatever you think about Sky/News Int/Murdoch/The Prem etc, football was on it's knees at the end of the 80's, on and off the pitch. The money Sky has pumped into football over the best part of 20 years saved the game in this country. Whether you think that old pre-Prem days were better or not, without all that has happened post '92, football would be in a worse state than the one it is today.

• Options
    Is it on Sky?
  • Options
    By delivering a channel (Sky sports Fi HD) they have created a coverage that takes the coverage to another level, as it did with it's coverage of football. As a viewer, it seems very impressive, wether the channel will be able to support the content, without endless repeats remains to be seen. The wider context of if it is good for the 'sport' itself remains to be seen. I hope it does not go the way of boxing, and Premiership football, in an essential pay to view basis. The one thing that sky does well is it's coverage of sport, but as I say at a cost, and that cost is not always paid by the subscription viewer. I watched the 2nd practice live this morning and although not over impressed with the commentators, it was interesting to see this. If you are a casual fan then it is a bit over the top, but I enjoy it. The campanion 'app' will I think be the way that sport goes in the future, delivering 'choice' is a good thing, I just wished it could be provided in other areas of sport.
  • Options
    Fastest car normally wins so what's the point?
    You know a lot about motorsport then........???
  • Options
    Qualifying will be very interesting and unpredictable tomorrow.
    Think Mercedes will do well this year and compete with Red Bull & Mclaren.
    Hope Hamilton wins the title but think Vettel will again.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ha, I knew that would get a response. Doesn't float my boat at all; thought that was pretty obvious though. Quite liked watching the cars go round and round in Scalextric as a kid though.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ha, I knew that would get a response. Doesn't float my boat at all; thought that was pretty obvious though. Quite liked watching the cars go round and round in Scalextric as a kid though.
    I suppose you like cricket or rugger? Incidentally I like F1 but the Superbike or Moto GP racing is far superior. I would go as far as to say that the skill and fitness level for top level Motorbike racing is superior to any footballer.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Greenie said:
    I suppose you like cricket or rugger?
    Played both but neither a spectator sport for me, as nothing compares to the beautiful game. To be truthful I have driven a Ferrari Modena at Rockingham race circuit near Corby as a surprise birthday present from my daughter and son in law but never got out of 4th gear! Enjoyed the day out though.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    I suppose you like cricket or rugger?
    Played both but neither a spectator sport for me, as nothing compares to the beutiful game. To be truthful I have driven a Ferrari Modena at Rockingham race circuit near Corby as a surprise birthday present from my daughter and son in law but never got out of 4th gear! Enjoyed the day out though.
    Agreed re the beautiful game, never raced Rockingham, might get out on a track day if they still do them there!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yes about £115 for the experience I think, I was cacking it just trying to negotiate a narrow 90* turn in between barriers into the pit lane with a very expensive piece of kit in my hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this season will be ok, not a proper classic nail biter like 2010 but hopefully there will be a major threat to Vettel this season. Mercedes look decent and have a couple of tricky little (not-so) secrets on the car this year, and Schumi is just the guy to capitalise on a half decent car
  • Options
    Last year was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ with Vettel winning all the time. So I hope other teams have closed the gap and I hope there is a stream on the web somewhere so I can watch it.

Also watch out for Raikkonen as i think he is going to be the dark horse this season.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the programme about Nick Hamilton, Lewis's little brother who started racing last year?

He wants to be as good as Lewis!
  • Options
    Good qualifying today from McLaren!

Must say, croft and brumdle seem to be a good pairing in the commentery box...
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2012
    Disappointed the live race has gone over to Sky.

Not inclined to give Murdoch any of my hard earned cash.
  • Options
    Great qualifying for Mclaren today, hopefully they can maintain that form in the race tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thought the pundit team was poor. Damon Hill doesn't do it for me. The coverage didn't seem as good either. So far I prefer the BBC
  • Options
    Havnt noticed any difference apart from now getting F1 stuff 24/7. Enjoying it for what it is
  • Options
    grosjean looks pretty good in the lotus. might be a surprise podium.
    glad to see alonso bugger up and vettle having to race in a crowd for once.
  • Options
    The BBC have done an excellent job over the past couple of years, seems a tad over the top from Sky from the little I have seen so far, but it's all new to them I guess.

As for the racing, I watch it but not religiously, I liked it when the Pirelli? tyres were falling apart at the start of last season (or the one before?) and no-one had a clue what was going on until a lap from the end.

Would like Button to be the Champion again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Button.
  • Options
    Thought I would see what the beebs New commentery team was like....dc knows his stuff, but this other fella is not a lead commentor. Croft and brundle worked brilliantly together this morning.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LIVE FEED for the race now
  • Options
    That result was a little fishy, Perez told to take the points and not take risks when right behind Alonso in his Ferrari and going a lot quicker.

Sauber race with a Ferrari engine.........

Very strange.
  • Options
    And Perez is part of Ferrari's Young Driver programme I think.
  • Options
    Hey, it's F1, who do you think calls the shots?
  • Options
    A great race today its a shame that Perez went off in such suspicious circumstances. This season looks like it may be a classic with all of the teams finishing in such different positions in each race.

Did anyone also think that it was strange the way Redbull kept telling Vettel to come in/stay out on the last lap?
  • Options
    Perez got excited and ran wide, nothing more, nothing less.

That Vettel thing was explained by Brundle, you can change the gearbox for free if you retire, if you dont retire and you change it you take a 5 place grid penalty. However you have to show them why you retired, and their reason would have been nothing else than to be able to change the gearbox for free and the fact he was finishing outside of the points. Maldonado blew up and therefore they would have thought they can still claim a point or two, but they didnt in the end. Remember the radio messages arent live, they are delayed by a minute or so on tv.

Great strategy by Alonso and Ferrari in the end, they got it right and Sauber pitted a lap too late in the end, but all credit to them for getting a highly unlikely second
  • Options
    Hell of a lot of faffing about.
  • Options
    Anyone got a live feed for Bahrain?