Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New F1 season

Comments

• Options
    Lewis Hamilton. Wow.

10 fastest laps in a row, arch enemy of British F1 Alonso in the way. Superb drive.

Union Jack flying, national anthem on full blast, spirits lifted in my household for just a second. Thanks Lewis.
  • Options
    Ferrari dropped the ball there, should have pitted the lap after hamilton, and the would have won or come second. Instead they sat back and ended up 5th. Hamilton drove well today but he's too inconsistent for me, perez has improved race on race, and grosjean is outperforming raikonnen. On a side note, how unlucky has Schumi been this season?
  • Options
    Ferrari dropped the ball there, should have pitted the lap after hamilton, and the would have won or come second. Instead they sat back and ended up 5th. Hamilton drove well today but he's too inconsistent for me, perez has improved race on race, and grosjean is outperforming raikonnen. On a side note, how unlucky has Schumi been this season?
    He's scored points in every race this year with 4 podium's in his most consistent season to date...
  • Options
    Great Drive Lewis, very proud! Now let's win this championship and show everyone what a great driver you are.
  • Options
    Really good race today Hamilton drove extremely well
  • Options
    He's scored points in every race this year with 4 podium's in his most consistent season to date...
    Yes, but if he was this consistent in the last couple of seasons he would have won another WDC. He does seem to be maturing as a driver but you get the sense he's just one silly move away from dumping himself out of the race
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    anyone else notice in the interview that lewis did for the bbc... he's got a bit of an american accent?

great race. poor strategy for alonso staying out there. perez and groujon did brilliantly.
  • Options
    Another cracking race and well done Lewis, I think he's been much more patient and less hot headed this season and would have more points if the team didn't keep making pit stop errors. Even today they nearly screwed the pit stops up between them but got their tactics spot and and Lewis was untouchable in race trim. Got his just deserts for his more level headed approach to this season, I hope he kicks on and claims a second title.

The season in general has been fantastic though and I think any driver who complains about the Pirelli tyres should immediately have their super licence revoked.
  • Options
    Another cracking race and well done Lewis, I think he's been much more patient and less hot headed this season and would have more points if the team didn't keep making pit stop errors. Even today they nearly screwed the pit stops up between them but got their tactics spot and and Lewis was untouchable in race trim. Got his just deserts for his more level headed approach to this season, I hope he kicks on and claims a second title.

Agreed Exiled, although I could not understand the Ferrari logic in trying to do a one stop.........Perhaps they think he can win the championship on points, rather than wins?...... Whatever happened to Button......a very poor day for him.

• Options
    With Ferrari the guys like rosberg that 2 stopped werent putting massively fast laps in so they thought hamilton would close up on them but only just pass them, leaving them to finish on the podium. Unfortunately for them hamiltons car was faster than rosbergs, and the tyres got worse than they thought, and by then it was too late to pit him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed riding 'in car' with Hamilton for much of the race with just the engine to listen to rather than the commentary: good being able to switch from Hamilton's car to Alonso's as he was overtaken and seeing Lewis steam ahead.
  • Options
    I missed another one? FFS, hate working at ridiculous times.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    One little thing I've noticed from Lewis in his interviews....he calls Alonso by his surname and all the other drivers by their christian names....a subtle but relevant point don't you think (I wonder if he even realises he's doing it, probably not)......no love lost there egh folks!
  • Options
    This season has been the best in years. 7 different race winners out of 7 races is great as its so open. Shame its on sky as I can only watch the highlights but thats good enough.

Also why does Sauber have a Chelski badge on it?
  • Options
    This season has been the best in years. 7 different race winners out of 7 races is great as its so open. Shame its on sky as I can only watch the highlights but thats good enough.

Also why does Sauber have a Chelski badge on it?
    Partnership deal, Sauber have lots of airtime on the adboards at Stamford Bridge now. Caterham have the QPR badge too because of Fernandes.
  • Options
    The reason he leads the Championship is because he has been th emost consistent does it not?

• Options

The reason he leads the Championship is because he has been th emost consistent does it not?
    Not in my eyes, like I said he would have more than 1 WDC if he drove with a more mature approach in the last couple of seasons. He has been a lot better this season, but my point is why has it taken him 5 or 6 years to mature? When you compare him to Vettel, who is already a 2 time WDC, despite starting his career in a Toro Rosso, you have to conclude that Hamilton's career so far has been too inconsistent over a long term basis. Yes, he leads the WDC right now, but only by 2 points, and I personally believe he will have his work cut out keeping this form up. I like him as a driver, he's got raw pace, he's aggressive and passionate, but I am left puzzled by his career to date.
  • Options
    Yes but this season he has said he has changed his outlook and races for points. He is IMO the most naturally quick driver on the grid and it is true that his immaturity has cost him in previous seasons, but absolutely no evidence of that this season.

The thing about this season, it is very difficult to predict who will win it because the tyres are a bit of a lottery and the most dominant team seems to change race by race and nobody seems to understand why. Having said that, it is hard to look beyond McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari and then Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. I think Hamilton will win the most races and if he picks up good points in the other races where he is less competetive, he is going to win it.
  • Options
    If you ever get the chance to go to a grand prix, do it....amazing atmosphere, the cars are so quick (they look like they are crawling when doing 70mph in the pits).....and the skill of the drivers is immense....

Great weekends entertainment....

I'm really looking forward to skys coverage, should really improve the viewing experience
    Agree with that, we went to the first Singapore GP (1st night race), an amazing experience, especially as we sat in the second row, will never forget the noise and speed of those cars going by.
  • Options
    Never been to a GP, but once went to Goodwood FOS, which arguably is even more thrilling given the close nature and the range of cars on show, though they don't reach 200mph!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not in my eyes, like I said he would have more than 1 WDC if he drove with a more mature approach in the last couple of seasons. He has been a lot better this season, but my point is why has it taken him 5 or 6 years to mature? When you compare him to Vettel, who is already a 2 time WDC, despite starting his career in a Toro Rosso, you have to conclude that Hamilton's career so far has been too inconsistent over a long term basis. Yes, he leads the WDC right now, but only by 2 points, and I personally believe he will have his work cut out keeping this form up. I like him as a driver, he's got raw pace, he's aggressive and passionate, but I am left puzzled by his career to date.
    Okay, so he debuted in 2007, and came 2nd that that season, winning it the next season. After that, in 2009, the Brawn car was completely dominant and in 2010 and 2011 the same could be said of Red Bull. Hamilton still finished top 5 in both seasons and now, in a car that is not dominant, he leads the championship. He's made some mistakes in his career and his team have also been guilty of some almighty cockups, for which they do seem to be punished more than other teams, but overall I'm of the opinion that he is one of the best drivers out there.

• Options
    What has happened to F1 this season? People say it's interesting, but it looks a bit random to me - any car can win because all of a sudden it's not about the cars or the drivers, it's about the tyres.

I'll be at the Le Mans 24-hour this weekend - now there's a race for real men! Martin Brundle and his son are driving this year - hope it goes better than Mansell and his sons last year - Dad crashed after about 2 laps at the start!
  • Options
    What has happened to F1 this season? People say it's interesting, but it looks a bit random to me - any car can win because all of a sudden it's not about the cars or the drivers, it's about the tyres.
    If you look at it though, the winners include 2 Red Bulls, 2 McLarens and a Ferrari. You've also got a Mercedes in there, and they are arguably a team that is right up there with the big boys this season. Yes, there was a Williams win that was a bit of an upset but it's hardly the equivalent of Wigan winning the Premier League.

• Options
    Is this the first night race or is it always like this?

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19667126
  • Options

Is this the first night race or is it always like this?

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19667126

Always like this.

AND there are two races pencilled in for the mighty U S of A next year
  • Options
    Gimmick. Want to see real night time racing? Go to the Le Mans 24-hour or the Britcar 24-hour (Silverstone this weekend I think).
  • Options
    The Singapore GP has been on the calendar since 2008.

F1 is going back to the USA in November for the first time since 2007 at the brand new 'Circuit of the Americas' at Austin, Texas.

A race in New Jersey for June next year is pencilled in, but not confirmed yet.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Gimmick. Want to see real night time racing? Go to the Le Mans 24-hour or the Britcar 24-hour (Silverstone this weekend I think).

What makes you say the Singapore GP is a gimmick?
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

There's no reason to have that race at night other than for marketing purposes - an attempt to make F1 more interesting.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

There's no reason to have that race at night other than for marketing purposes - an attempt to make F1 more interesting.
    Fair enough mate, thought it was at that time to suit European viewers (GP's usually start at 1pm our time), that said the Japanese, Malaysian and Aussie GP's arn't night races so you may have a point, that said it does make good viewing.