Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friday's moral Maze - Are the Government correct to impose a minimum price for alcohol?

124»

Comments

• Options
    So do i .....

A) Rush out to Tesco's fill up the Fridge & garage before the prices go sky high?

or

B) Turf the kids out of the 3rd bedroom which is used as a games roon and get into home brewing?

The article below is a comment from a guy who posted on the Evening Standard original link , has he got it sussed or is he a loon?

At the ROOMATTHETOP ARMS here in Devon, all beer is priced at 22p a pint. Cider is only 18p a pint, and our fine selection of wines is around 61p a bottle for red and around 68p for white. We also do a very nice hock for 52p a bottle and Rose wine for cheaper than that. Why is it so cheap? Because it's all home made. You buy your kits from the home brewing shop, and remember, there's no alcohol in it at all until you do the brewing process after adding yeast and allowing it ferment. Forty pint kits are available and there are dozens of different kinds of beers. Ten times better than the gassy foul manufactured cats' pee they sell in supermarkets, and no additives. You don't get a hangover and it is real beer. You can buy hops, barley, the lot. Brew your own, folks. Send the big international brewers packing! Also, Mr Tesco, Mr Asda, Mr Morrison and Lord Sainsbury, my bread's better than yours, too. At just 22p a loaf made from Canadian flour from the health food shop, it's ten times more tasty than supermarket cotton wool. My vegetables are all fresh, grown on my allotment with lovely King Edward potatoes, carrots, runner beans, onions, brussels sprouts and cabbages. You get a vacuum sealer and freeze the lot without blanching so you can have winter vegetables in summer. We eat wonderfully in this household, with a wide variety of food, including Chinese meals with beansprouts and spring onions. Haven't been a supermarket for weeks and weeks. Our meat comes from a local butcher who does freezer packs and we know exactly which farm it comes from. DIG FOR VICTORY! You can live for next to nothing. You can grow enough spuds, tomatoes and lettuce throughout the summer on a balcony if you're in the city. There's no excuse.
    Home brew is the way forward but go All Grain as it works out much cheaper in the long run and you won't believe how much better your beer is than in the pub.
  • Options
    I have been known to do All Grain brews Vinnie - I completely agree with you. Yet quite a few people I know would not even try drinking home brew let alone make it.
  • Options
    The article below is a comment from a guy who posted on the Evening Standard original link , has he got it sussed or is he a loon?

A bit of both - my experiments a few years ago with home brew were mixed, you definitely need to make and swiftly bin the first few goes but with practice things improve. Similarly with home baked bread.
  • Options
    Just research what you are doing on a Homebrew Forum and all will be fine.
  • Options
    How strong is homebrew , does it send you under the table?
  • Options
    Depends how strong you make it.
  • Options
    How strong is homebrew , does it send you under the table?
    Depends how much you drink!
  • Options
    Depends on your recipe. You want strong beer, add more fermentables. You want weaker beer, add less. Once you know what you are doing in regard to Grains and Hops you can design your very own brews and tweak your beer to your own personal taste.
  • Options
    Or if you want to imitate the industrial lager processing plants, add ant-freeze.

It works a treat if you need to produce 'premiun' lager much quicker than it would take if brewed normally.

;o)
  • Options
    That should sort the ants out! :-)

The great thing about brewing your own is that you know what's in it. I am convinced that a lot of hangovers are caused by the chemicals in lagers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Man after my own heart Saga Lout!
  • Options
    The punishment for those caught acting irresponsibly as a consequence of over drinking should lie at the heart of the policy not pushing up the price for those of us who are not doing anything wrong. I assume that the subsidised House of Commons bars where loutish drunkenness are not unheard of will also feel the effect of the increase.