Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sri Lanka V England 1st Test Match in Galle

Comments

• Options
    Close of play on Day 3:
    Sri Lanka 318 & 214 v England 193 & 111-2 (target 340)

Trott 40* & Pietersen 29*
  • Options
    nice Charlton flag out there
  • Options
    So the World No1's are about to have another Epic Fail away from home, laughable.
  • Options
    If he (KP) plays straight, and I mean literally with a straight bat against the spinners then they will have to bring back their seamers. He can take 50 runs off them in 8 overs. Could swing momentum our way. Trott needs to do what he does best too and just dig in.

A win for us is more than improbable but as someone said earlier this week, and quite correctly so....."The great thing about sport is that there is no script. That's why you get results like this."

Who said that?
  • Options
    So the World No1's are about to have another Epic Fail away from home, laughable.
    If you don't like cricket...ignore this thread.

All results are open, but two bits of stupidity from England, Broad no-balling in the cat of get a C&B off Prasanna, he only added another 40 odd runs and Strauss threw his wicket away.
  • Options
    If he (KP) plays straight, and I mean literally with a straight bat against the spinners then they will have to bring back their seamers. He can take 50 runs off them in 8 overs. Could swing momentum our way. Trott needs to do what he does best too and just dig in.

Against Pakistan he looked to have gone back to KP default mode - planting his left fot outside off and playing around his pad while looking to hit to mid-wicket, that's a risky strategy against left arm spinners. So far he has been playing straight and resisting temptation, I just hope he can keep resisting temptation.

• Options
    edited March 2012

A win for us is more than improbable but as someone said earlier this week, and quite correctly so....."The great thing about sport is that there is no script. That's why you get results like this."

Who said that?
    You were right. Pietersen tried his usual of whipping a ball from off to leg & got caught.
    178 - 4 at lunch.
    Trott 77 no.
  • Options
    203/4, 137 to get, and trott well dug in and going nowhere. I reckon Prior could be the key here, because you can't rely on the tail (though patel, broad and swann can swish it about a bit). Unless sri lanka get a wicket fairly soon, I reckon it's game on
  • Options
    220/4 now...
  • Options
    Prior gone, 233-5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our tail can score runs, so it's not as if anyone will be assuming that they'll fold quickly. Patel is a batsmen, this is his chance to show his mettle. The key man though is Trott, if he can hold up one end, then we have a great chance...
  • Options
    252-6 patel out
  • Options
    Trott out. That's it probably.....
  • Options
    SL 214 all out. England need 340 to win, the highest ever by England to win a test match. It could have been 293 to win as Broad made a c&b, but batsman was recalled as Broad had no balled.
    I thought at the time 293 was doable, but 340 very unlikely. The no ball may have cost us the match.
  • Options
    A few things can be sited as reasons for us losing, if we do. None more so than the ridiculous belief that Kevin Peiterson is a Test class batsman still.
  • Options
    If you don't like cricket...ignore this thread.
    Plenty of Bellends spoil other Threads like the F1 thread by posting ZZZZZ on it and stuff like that so I like to post negative stuff on Cricket Threads mainly cos it's crap just like England.
  • Options
    swann fancy's himself too much and that shot just before tea was pathetic
  • Options
    Chirps, Ihave a funny feeling you don't like Pieterson
  • Options
    Great match. This is why I love test cricket.

I'm green on SL but wouldn't put anyone off a cheeky few quid on us at 9-1. Broad will probably play aggressively and a few boundaries will cause the price to crash.
  • Options
    that didn't take long all over 75 run defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WE'VE GOT OUR ENGLAND BACK!

• Options
    Oops!!
  • Options
    Other world number one teams stay at the top of their game for several years, Windies and Aussies the obvious examples but oh no, NOT England we get 7 months !
  • Options
    Just like Palace in the Prem!
  • Options
    India hardly stayed on top. Even we beat them (in England). you can't be considered no.1 until you can win home and away in different conditons imo. Windies and Aussie were different class.
  • Options
    Other world number one teams stay at the top of their game for several years, Windies and Aussies the obvious examples but oh no, NOT England we get 7 months !
    Longer than you get for being a racist on twitter! ;-)
  • Options
    It's like being the World No 1 golfer, or the World No1 female tennis player, there's nobody dominating the sport at the moment, so No 1s don't tend to stay at the top very long.
  • Options
    We are still the world's best team - as long as the plane doesn't touch down between Heathrow and the Antipodes.
  • Options
    We're number one in Europe surely? Hang on didn't the mighty Dutch beat us last time we played?
  • Options
    Look at our top 6 batsmen and wonder where you want to make changes. If you judge their TEST record over the last year or so, consider who you think has a future for a few years then there are two stand out candidates to drop. Strauss and Pieterson. I think Strauss should captain us until the end of the summer and then Cook take over for IOndia away and Oz at home in 2013. Pieterson should go. He always relied on his eye, that's gone now. He does not have the ability nor the temprament anymore for the highest form of the game.