Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plane Sighting

About 9pm this evening I was getting out the car in Sevenoaks and happened to notice there was a big cargo/jumbo jet looking aircraft being flanked by about seven smaller aircraft. It was dark so I could really see that well.

Anyone have any idea what this could of been? I thought Air Force One perhaps, but Obamas in Korea?

Comments

• We had a plane about the size of an easy jet plane flying real low flanked by 2 Lear jet sized planes flying real low and I mean lower than anything I have seen of that size

It continued to circle going over head every ten or so minutes for an hour then gone

This happend about a month ago

I heard it was a test for the Olympics

Maybe this was the same

• Ah yes - that makes a lot of sense. Must admit, it did freak me out.
  • Done me too that evening it was a Friday about 7ish until 8, the thing just kept going rd the same route , in the end there must've been 50 people standing out on the street watching it go over
  • About 9pm this evening I was getting out the car in Sevenoaks and happened to notice there was a big cargo/jumbo jet looking aircraft being flanked by about seven smaller aircraft. It was dark so I could really see that well.

Anyone have any idea what this could of been? I thought Air Force One perhaps, but Obamas in Korea?
    Or is he?
  • Rest assured - Harrison Ford will have been on board, punching a Russian separatist in the face.
  • edited March 2012
    Saw a parachute open around 8.15 last night over Bromley....a minute or two later a tall swarthy looking individual landed on the 17th fairway of Shortlands Golf Club....I ran indoors and picked up a pair of binoculars and was mildly surprised to see none other than our old friend Shaun Connery expertly tearing off his shute and overalls and in pretty short order be picked up in a top of the range white Range Rover with blacked out windows. He was wearing a white evening suit complete with red bow-tie and cumerband and black patent leather Church brogues under his military camoflage overalls and was more than likely on his way to The Conservative Club.
    Not sure if this was anything to do with the Olympics or not but we are of course quite used to this sort of thing in Bromley, so it didn't raise too many eyebrows amongst us locals.
    As if to prove my point, on my way to work this morning, as I was leaving the house, I said to my neighbour Joe..."Did you see Connery last night Joe?"

"Yeah, I saw him"....... was his matter of fact reply.
  • A report from a friend of mine today. This is actually true though.

"Left home this morning.....trotting down Glenesk Road (Eltham Park) were 20-30 horses. Quite surreal.
    One leading and then around 8 soldiers riding one horse with one either side....then two following up. Never seen anything like it."

Some sort of Olympic practice I assume.
  • edited March 2012
    No its not. That's a common occurrence now as the Kings troop horses have been moved to Woolwich. I saw them coming down Well Hall road the other morning.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EstateAndEnvironment/KingsTroopRhaMovesIntoStateoftheartFacilitiesInWoolwich.htm

http://blackheathbugle.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/100-horses-on-blackheath/

"Left home this morning.....trotting down Glenesk Road (Eltham Park) were 20-30 horses. Quite surreal.
    8 soldiers riding one horse

Now that is some trick !
  • Sponsored links:

• You won't see this one in Europe - pretty cool video of how a plane is given a special paint job. This is our local Calgary carrier, Westjet's new Christmas plane - think it'll be a hit with the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGzaDexRYE

One leading and then around 8 soldiers riding one horse with one either side....then two following up. Never seen anything like it."

Some sort of Olympic practice I assume.

Used to be a common Sunday morning experience when I worked in Soho for many years, but as Curb it said it will be one of the guards regiments or something similar exercising their horses..

• Prince Charles landed at my local football club this afternoon . ( Biggleswade Town ) visiting the Jordan's factory just down the road.
    I know , not very interesting but it kind of fits with the thread ! image
  • This one was hunting

XS458 (11)
  • About 9pm this evening I was getting out the car in Sevenoaks and happened to notice there was a big cargo/jumbo jet looking aircraft being flanked by about seven smaller aircraft. It was dark so I could really see that well.

It's the Amazon and Argos drone fleet bringing pressies to a house near you
  • Oakster said:

You won't see this one in Europe - pretty cool video of how a plane is given a special paint job. This is our local Calgary carrier, Westjet's new Christmas plane - think it'll be a hit with the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGzaDexRYE

That was pretty damn cool

I flew with Westjet to Mexico when I was in Canada earlier this year - they were fantastic. Easyjet and Ryanair should study their customer service - THAT is how to tun a budget airline.
  • Oakster said:

You won't see this one in Europe - pretty cool video of how a plane is given a special paint job. This is our local Calgary carrier, Westjet's new Christmas plane - think it'll be a hit with the kids.

That was pretty damn cool

I flew with Westjet to Mexico when I was in Canada earlier this year - they were fantastic. Easyjet and Ryanair should study their customer service - THAT is how to tun a budget airline.
    Agree that they are a really good airline, lovely leather seats & live TV etc - but unfortunately not that budget friendly. Flying is very, very expensive here. It's rare to find a return domestic flight under £200 here & normally much more expensive.....even for short hops like Calgary to Vancouver which is around an hour one way.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Dakota ZA947 had some restoration work done recently and is back to flying again so I'd assume its that. 
  • Nice pic… Douglas DC-3/C-47 Dakota in presumably D-Day markings. Think you can probably pay to fly on her.
    A collection of parts flying in loose formation. 
  • I went inside Drag em Oot a few years ago at Bicester. It flew in D-Day and Market Garden (Arnhem).

The hole in the pilot seat was made by a bullet that thankfully missed the pilot.

Will be seeing them both fly together at the Battle of Britain show at Headcorn next month.

• Just had the Goodyear blimp flying over my Son's nursery whilst we waited in line for them to go in.

Nice early morning treat for the kids
  • BDL said:

C-47 ‘Pegasus’ of Aerolegends, flies out of North Weald and Headcorn.’Drag em Oot’ (Front) is an original D-Day Goonie bird.

Was privileged to get an air-to-air shoot with them last year over the Seven Sisters.
    Is the one with 3X on the side the larger model?
  • iaitch said:
    BDL said:

C-47 ‘Pegasus’ of Aerolegends, flies out of North Weald and Headcorn.’Drag em Oot’ (Front) is an original D-Day Goonie bird.

Was privileged to get an air-to-air shoot with them last year over the Seven Sisters.
    It's for fat pilots
  • iaitch said:
    BDL said:

no its nearer!
  • BDL said:

In no way am I a plane buff but that is a beautiful sight