Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW SOUND FILE: Wembley 98 penalties

2»

Comments

• Options
    the deathly silence walking down Wembley Way after was so so surreal. Nobody was celebrating really, it was amazing.
  • Options
    Was a mental day- my overiding memory was walking out of wembley and the goodwill between us and the Sunderland fans was unbelievable, they were congratulating us and we were almost apologising to them.

Just think that we all deep down knew we had been part of one of the greatest football matches ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]Was a mental day- my overiding memory was walking out of wembley and the goodwill between us and the Sunderland fans was unbelievable, they were congratulating us and we were almost apologising to them.

Just think that we all deep down knew we had been part of one of the greatest football matches ever.

Totally agree, I'll never forget the almost silence as we filed down Wembley way. The outpouring of emotion after that final save had produced a kind of collective shock. Playing that commentary again brings it all back including the tears, as if it was yesterday.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Unbelievable day, i was only 9 but remember a remarkable lot about the day. I remember the day a lot more than any other memories of that age.

Bng addick i also remember that silence and being told by some sunderland fans for us to cheer up you are in the permier league. We were over the moon but just shattered.
  • Options
    "oh dear me- what an afternoon this has been" Mark Mansfield 25/05/1998

Such an understatement!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]GLR was also good. Heard Garth Crooks and the other presenter go mental when Sasa saved.

HE actually so - Go on Miss it! - Then went mental. I had a copy of that commentary as well - though I haven't got a clue what I did with it!

Glad you all liked it.
  • Options
    been waiting to listen to that all day as cant do it at work...

goosepimples before the sound even came on and tears when sasa saves it......

I remeber one bloke did one round of 'we are premier league,say we are premier league', as we left the stadium and everyone was so drained that no one joined in... we were all done in....

amazing!
  • Options
    just listened, brings in back more than the highlights on the DVD, had my whole family there pretty much that day. What a day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]the deathly silence walking down Wembley Way after was so so surreal. Nobody was celebrating really, it was amazing.

Yep, we were so drained by the events on that day we couldn't sing or dance down Wembley way. A Sunderland supporter accused us of having 'no passion', I just smiled and said 'maybe, but we're in the Premiership' We finally got the tube back to town and decorated the lion in trafalgar square with our scarves, I'll try and dig out the photos.
  • Options
    I thought the Garth Crooks commentary on GLR was brilliant. I've never heard such a biased BBC commentary. I've got it on audio cassette here somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMAZING! My fondest memory. What a day! What a clip. cheers afka.
  • Options
    "Someones gotta miss in a minute"

Legendary!
  • Options
    All thanks to BDL for the clip.
  • Options
    Nice one BDL!

And have to say- good stuff yesterday- excellent balance of "respect" and "job to be done" got just right!
  • Options
    i have never listened to or seen commentary of the game since that day. it made the hair on my neck stand on end, and i got a bit watery. it was a special day and the memories of wembley way on the way to the ground are so memorable. i can remember saying to my dad at 7-6, do you remember that famous victory of the same scoreline as it flashed up on the scoreboard, and true enought that was the result. thanks very much for the download it was really special. if anything commentary is better than the video's because you have all your own pictures in your head. thanks again.
  • Options
    I cant believe it was nearly 10 years ago. I can still remember the day as if it were yesterday. As every mackem took their penalty i turned the air blue for them to miss. It worked once. As Kins when up to lift the play off cup, i was there, i was there!!!
  • Options
    Still think that is one of the best bits of football commentary ever.
  • Options
    Great listen!happy days!
  • Options
    chose today to listen to it
    what memories
    what emotion

I love our Club!
  • Options
    Just as we go off on Hols, I thought I bump this up for those who haven't heard it. I have got the tape of the whole of the game and was listening to it on the way back to Norwich yesterday evening.

Happy Memories
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    man...... even talking about that commentary makes me start tingling and feeling emotional.... guaranteed tear jerker, which is weird as it should be the best time.......

something about about success from adversity i think......

and I was there an all.......

Charlton are the best no doubt at all....... we are the most human team in the world, always thought that.......