Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek, April 12 Ch4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrW5hXinzk

New drama/comedy from Ricky Gervais/merchant and pilkington.

no i didnt write any of it.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if it will involve any cringey moments when someone with a disability or from an ethnic minority or a trans/homosexual is "accidentally" ridiculed in embarrassing but hilarious circumstances by the main character(s)?

My sides are aching already.......
  • Options
    gervais plays someone with learning difficulties
  • Options
    I wonder if it will involve any cringey moments when someone with a disability or from an ethnic minority or a trans/homosexual is "accidentally" ridiculed in embarrassing but hilarious circumstances by the main character(s)?

My sides are aching already.......
    I am glad i am not the only one who can't stand Gervais.

• Options
    I enjoyed the office but that is all. He can't do anything else. I now find the guy totally annoying!
  • Options
    Loved the office, extras, his stand ups, the podcasts and the animated series. Life's too short was a bit "meh" though and that video doesn't exactly fill me with excitement
  • Options
    Ricky Gervais isn't the important issue with this pilot and possible series imo...

...Karl Pilkington is...and I can see him stealing the show.
  • Options
    It's not about who is in it, it's about flogging a dead horse.
  • Options
    There's a lot of 'I don't like Gervais and have already decided it's going to be rubbish before even seeing it' going on here.
    I like a lot of his stuff, but some of it is less good than others. I'll decide whether this is any good after seeing it I reckon.
  • Options
    It's not about who is in it, it's about flogging a dead horse.
    I think his ever increasing bank balance and success in America would suggest the Gervais brand is anything but a dead horse...

• Options
    There's a lot of 'I don't like Gervais and have already decided it's going to be rubbish before even seeing it' going on here.
    I like a lot of his stuff, but some of it is less good than others. I'll decide whether this is any good after seeing it I reckon.
    Only banter mate.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    :-)
  • Options
    The only Gervais show to receive a lot of positive press. Either they're starting to understand his stuff or it's his best.
  • Options
    Thought this was going to be about Killer.
  • Options
    gervais plays someone with learning difficulties
    As someone who has worked in Social Care all my career trying to present people with a learning difficulty in a positive light through Employment etc this series fills me with dread. I should not be surprised of course-Gervais was at the centre of the "Mong" storm on twitter.

Absolute disgrace-Ch 4 should be ashamed
    This is far more positive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiEfkNtpYCM

• Options
    I suppose I should think about changing my name.

Too late!
  • Options
    Thought this was going to be about Killer.
    Me too. Gutted
  • Options
    Looks as funny as losing your home.
  • Options
    Hmmm

Thoughts ?
  • Options
    thought it was awful myself
  • Options
    Loved it.

The naked run bit was out of place but thats just Gervais wanting everyone to see his new slim physique he's been working so hard on.

I don't actually rate him as an actor that highly but reckon thats the best acting of his career to date imo. Quite brave of him to take on such a subject but I think he pulled it off. It's only the pilot though so we'll see what happens now. If C4 get favourable feedback I can see them airing the whole series...and I think they will now after seeing that.

Karl Pilkington is perfect for the caretaker role...and so he should be. Gervais specifically wrote the role for him. He's the show stealer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was brilliant. Got a bit emotional at the end tbh
  • Options
    not a laugh out loud comedy. More of a quirky drama. Thought the last 5 minutes were very rushed which was detrimental to the emotional impact it was meant to have, but I did laugh when he went to knock on Joan's door haha
  • Options
    Thought it was good.
  • Options
    Got the making's of something really good. The setting is great and as a pilot I thought it was decent. You have to introduce the characters and scene in the pilot and im guessing when he makes a series it will be better.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it - hope there is a series.
  • Options
    it was only a one off thing wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Some one said on twitter that the most offensive thing about Derek was that it was advertised as a sitcom, i would agree with that.
  • Options
    Brilliant. If it isn't commissioned as a series it will be a criminal waste. Huge potential.

Gervais never once billed it as a sitcom, that was bestowed by the tabloids.

Pilkington was great as himself.

• Options
    got bored after 5 minutes and switched it off.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm more of a Gervais fan than not.

However, I thought it was about as funny as a trip to the dentist.

I wanted to turn over after 5 mins. I managed to hold out until the half way stage, then could bear it no more.