Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek, April 12 Ch4

2»

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed it, didn't think i'd be able to take Ricky Gervais seriously but he pulled it off really well. Bits were really funny like Karl's rants and the ending was pretty touching, got lots of potential. The cleaning lady was great in it too, got some great charachters in it.
  • Options
    Touching indeed although I don't think I could manage many of them.
  • Options
    Think it worked well in a similar vein to 'That Peter Kay Thing' (came before Phionex Nights), Would be more convincing if derek was played by a superior comic actor like Steve Pemberton or Reece Shearsmith. Either way was it only a one off or a pilot?
  • Options
    First half was pretty shocking, second half had me welling up
  • Options
    It was watchable, but save for a few parts not brilliant. Thought the guy saying Glee was his favourite prog was great, as was Derek trying to tag along to the pub.
  • Options
    As I watched it, it grew on me, will end up being a powerful tear jerker.
    Gervais' stuff is always over-hyped so gets more harshly criticised.

Also seems like they cant get let go of the Mocumentories..

It's funny and sad...
    Overall a good watch hope they do a series.
  • Options
    It got better as it went along. At first I was struggling to grasp if it was supposed to be a comedy or not.

Ricky Gervais is actually a much better writer than people give him credit for. There's been some good touching moments in all of the series he has been involved with.
  • Options
    It got better as it went along. At first I was struggling to grasp if it was supposed to be a comedy or not.

Ricky Gervais is actually a much better writer than people give him credit for. There's been some good touching moments in all of the series he has been involved with.
    cemetery junction was pretty touching as well.
  • Options
    Why do people think it was meant to be a comedy?
  • Options
    Guess I need to watch the 2nd part of it then because the first 15 minutes was some of the worst tv I've seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All very average
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder if I need to watch the rest as well. Gave up after 10 minutes because it was so awful.
    And why is no one pointing out how bad Gervais's performance is? Every couple of lines, he seems to forget his character and just talks in his own voice again. Unless... is he meant to be playing a man who is pretending to have special needs?
    I thought it was terrifyingly bad, but after the comments on here, I might struggle through the rest of it.
  • Options
    I thought it was awful.
  • Options
    Excellent imo
  • Options
    wow gervais is marmite.. i loved it thought it was one of the best things hes done.
  • Options
    Only saw bits of it last night, loved Gervias for The Office and Extras, cant bare him as a stand up, disliked life is to short, but it had its moments, and I just dont get the Karl Pilkington thing, about as funny as piles.
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder if I need to watch the rest as well. Gave up after 10 minutes because it was so awful.
    And why is no one pointing out how bad Gervais's performance is? Every couple of lines, he seems to forget his character and just talks in his own voice again. Unless... is he meant to be playing a man who is pretending to have special needs?
    I thought it was terrifyingly bad, but after the comments on here, I might struggle through the rest of it.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    I love Gervais stand-up, love the Office, love Extras, love Life's Too Short, love the podcasts, love Idiot Abroad...

... but thought last night was poor in the first half, and then a bit too try hard in the second half.

However, I've always found with his TV shows it takes a few episodes for the characters to bed in - so I suspect by the end of the first season (which he has all but confirmed on Twitter today) I'll love this too.

Right now though I'd give the first episode a generous 5/10.
  • Options
    Just watched, was quite touching, and probably wouldve more touching for those who have some kind of similar experiences with retirement homes/those with a disability. I'm fortunate enough not to have a particularly strong link with those particular experiences. Although sometimes i felt like the 'laughs' like the gag with the crumble and the pool were a bit out of place, childish in a fairly serious show. A series would be alright as long as it remained serious to the most i'd say. 7/10
  • Options
    Watched the rest of it, and I do agree that some of it was pretty moving.
    But I stand by my earlier comment - Gervais is poor in this role, and he should have cast somebody who could play the part more competently. I think it would have been 10 times better had he not been involved on-screen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gonna watch it now.
    No spoilers please.
  • Options
    I've struggled since The Office with Gervais
  • Options
    MOG, i would suggest not looking at a thread dedicated to a show before watching it if you don't want spoilers :P
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    MOG, i would suggest not looking at a thread dedicated to a show before watching it if you don't want spoilers :P
    Indeed
  • Options
    I have an adult daughter with learning disabilities and therefore have an idea more than most of where I think Ricky Gervais was pitching this show. Both my wife and I thought it ws a very decent attempt at showing Derek in a light that is not often portrayed of those with learning disabilities which is one of being a caring and thoughtful individual with something to offer rather than just being seen as someone that receives help and support. It's only with thoughtful and cutting edge writing that the general perception of such people can.be advanced in the public consciousness. As far as I am concerned Ricky deserves much credit for this.
  • Options
    Commissioned for a full series, to be broadcast early next year:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-commissions-series-of-derek-by-ricky-gervais

• Options
    I have an adult daughter with learning disabilities and therefore have an idea more than most of where I think Ricky Gervais was pitching this show. Both my wife and I thought it ws a very decent attempt at showing Derek in a light that is not often portrayed of those with learning disabilities which is one of being a caring and thoughtful individual with something to offer rather than just being seen as someone that receives help and support. It's only with thoughtful and cutting edge writing that the general perception of such people can.be advanced in the public consciousness. As far as I am concerned Ricky deserves much credit for this.
    Thanks for the insight from an 'experienced' standpoint. I have never found Gervais to be the least bit amusing or entertaining. Quite the reverse, what little I have seen and read of him I've considered amateurish, shallow and callow. I suspect that this is a genarational thing. It dilutes my jaundiced opinion of him to read that perhaps he is more aware, perceptive and caring about contemporary society than I had previously thought.
  • Options
    I thought it was dull. I normally like Ricky Gervais but this left me cold.