Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye Horse

Comments

• Options
    VFR was definitely sang at selhurst when I was a junior red.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

VFR was definitely sang at selhurst when I was a junior red.

Taken from Wikipedia

*Valley Flyod Road
    Oh mist rolling in from the Thames.
    My desire
    Is always to be here
    Oh Valley Flyod Road

McCartney explained how the song came into being:

I certainly loved Charlton enough, so I came up with a song about where we were living: an area called Valley Flyod Road It was a love song really, about how I enjoyed being there and imagining I was travelling away and wanting to get back there.[5],

Ooha, will be pleased. McCartney was a travelling fan. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I first heard GBH at Brighton away in March 1975. Mick Kelly equalised up our end where we had thousands in a 1-1 draw. Song was sung on the old Lewis coach on way back to Sarf London.

It started after an 'altercation' with a police horse by Brighton bus station ... @TEL will remember it too as we were both there.
  • Options
    VFR was never ever sung at Selhurst to my memory ...we
    was all too worried about Vince Hillaire
  • Options
    or at Upton Park when we played there afterwards
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Definitely Brighton away in the park near the Goldstone

I concur with that.

• Options
    I was bitten by a police horse at selhurst .Had a sore shoulder for weeks.
    Goodbye horse!
  • Options
    I've been told it's from the Lou Reed song 'Heroin'.
    Someone steals Lou's stash and he mourns the loss.
    Very moving, it inspired Patti Smith to write the album 'Horses'.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Does anyone else sing it or is it just Charlton?

Possibly Hartlepool? and Goodbye Horse was of course the title of a fanzine back in the day which emerged following the success of VOTV and ran in tandem with it for a while along with a third fanzine.
  • Options

EastStand said:

Does anyone else sing it or is it just Charlton?

Possibly Hartlepool? and Goodbye Horse was of course the title of a fanzine back in the day which emerged following the success of VOTV and ran in tandem with it for a while along with a third fanzine.
    Indeed ...@algarveaddick could give you some info on that :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I first head VFR away at Oxford probably about 1991ish possibly 92. Deffo not at selhurst, I stand to be corrected

It was defo sung at Selhurst on occasion - I heard it at Valley late 70's when my dad started taking me to Charlton - it's a song which seems to come and go - it's not exclusive to Charlton thou - it's a good laugh to sing as you can just go on and on and on and on !!!
    I was talking about Valley Floyd Road mate.
    Whoops !! Sorry - misread on my part
  • Options
    The first time I heard VFR was at Highbury in March 89 when the directors had just announced their intention to get us back to The Valley. I never, ever heard it before that at Selhurst. My Dad is from the Mull of Kintyre, so it made quite an impact on me, hence I remember it clearly.
  • Options

DA9 is right. March 1975 after a late Micky Kelly equaliser. Remember it being sung for first time on coach home.

Was that the 1-1 draw?....when it was pissing down all day.
  • Options
    The song we used to sing at selhurst was show me the way to go home. After the T shirts me and my brother printed.
  • Options

The song we used to sing at selhurst was show me the way to go home. After the T shirts me and my brother printed.

Yes - I remember that song - liked the line that was something like 'we had our own ground a couple of seasons ago, now we got this sh#t instead'

Putting aside we see at Selhurst - that late 80's Charlton team was bloody good when you think about it - and our Adidas kit was quite snazzy
  • Options
    Simenson's debut against boro in 82 I remember a horse taking a tumble amongst all the excitement that was going on down floyd road after the match.
  • Options

The ones with a map of the Valley area inside a circle on the front ?
  • Options

DA9 is right. March 1975 after a late Micky Kelly equaliser. Remember it being sung for first time on coach home.

Was that the 1-1 draw?....when it was pissing down all day.
    Yes and loads of Brighton slipped over in the park outside as we ran them after the game. Should add that as a 13 year old I was only watching on top of a wall ha ha
  • Options
    Memorable game. The ball floated over the line for our goal.
  • Options
    Yes pl54 like in my pick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picture above if you zoom in on it
  • Options

Yes pl54 like in my pick

That's taken me back - I had a white one. I wont have thrown it out but no idea where it is.
  • Options

Yes pl54 like in my pick

I have one in white - chances of me ever fitting into it again are non-existent
  • Options

Oh look, there's me...
  • Options
    Same hairstyle still P. :wink:
  • Options
    I have got Rupert Murdoch and Richard Keys but who is in the middle.... ?
  • Options

Oh look, there's me...
    Are you just about to lump Murray with a wild overarm swing?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Same hairstyle still P. :wink:

Just a lot less of it...