Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton - 30,000 Seater Stadium???

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7702870/

Went to the Withdean a couple of seasons ago, could never had imagined they'd have the fanbase to fill a 30,000 seater ground.

Surely they can't sustain that sort of support if all they can offer is Championship football (and when the new ground factor wears off), and wouldn't there be more problems if they ended up like a Coventry with only a partially filled massive ground?
Or are their owners filthy rich, with serious premier league aspirations?

Comments

• the owner is a professional poker player .. it could all go on the turn of a card
  • Really?? Sounds like they could flop then
  • Look at these at the Withdean.

Average Attendance:
    2010-2011: 7,352 (League One)
    2009-2010: 6,467 (League One)
    2008-2009: 6,092 (League One)
  • let's hope that Gus Poyet (not gas poker) is not the manager of a house of cards
  • They have a great manager and ambition. If they see Prem football a real possibility then the extra seats will fill easily. Didn't Charlton do the same thing in getting planning granted to increase to 40k ? Would be useless in the Championship but a bonus in the prem. what's the problem ?
  • Good luck to em. Now IF you had said Palarse I would estimtate a capacity of 15,000
  • Look at our attendance at Selhurst before we came back, who would've thought we would fill a 27k ground? Do you think Brighton fans enjoyed going to the Withdean? It's a very similar comparison. The club is on the up, no longer an embarrassment a massive catchment area and a large fan base to justify the expansion. Good on them.
  • I think if anyone had examined our attendances from 96 back to 86, they might equally question how we'd fill a 27,000 ground. One of the reasons is that we had an inspired link between the Board and supporters, so we were smart with initiatives for building up our support.

Personally I reckon that Brighton could push on to 23,000 or so in the Champ if they are doing well..
  • Lol. Brighton and Hove is a city and they don't have another league club around for miles on end. They pretty much have a monopoly on the sussex county. I'd say there's quite a large fanbase, if you go into brighton the majority are brighton supporters, or at least are their second team.

• Personally I reckon that Brighton could push on to 23,000 or so in the Champ if they are doing well..
    The capacity is currently 22,374! Filled each week.

• Sponsored links:

• Withdean attendances were never going to be a guide to what they'd get at the Amex. Brighton used to be well-supported (70s/80s - I saw us play there in front of 30,000+) & the town is not exactly in decline - so it was always a good bet that the crowds would return with the new stadium, if the team was doing well.

I'd have said that 25,000 would be enough, but then again they are the sort of club that could get big crowds if they reach the Prem. Lot of people live in Sussex...

• nearest rivals .. Crawley

• Personally I reckon that Brighton could push on to 23,000 or so in the Champ if they are doing well..

Is it? I've seen a few 19,000 gates when I've looked. But I think we agree, they could do a lot with 30,000 capacity
  • Makes you wonder though, looking at What has happened to Coventry. Could be many clubs who you wouldn't say are big names, with big grounds.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/developments.htm

Wolves have extended with relegation - have plans for 50,000
    MK Dons are filling up their top tier - going to 32,000
    Bristol rovers looking to move to new ground - 21,700 seats
    Bristol city looking to move aswell - want 30,000 ground
  • rock and a hard place .. clubs need huge crowds if they are to have any hope of competing with Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City etc .. the downside of course is relegation or lack of any success and an empty ground to maintain and/or pay for.
  • Big catchment area, used to get over 10k when really bad at the Goldstone, will fill the Amex with 30k easily. Haven't they got a waiting list for Season tickets?
  • Went there a couple of weeks ago for a midweek game thanks to a Brighton supporting friend and I was blown away by the place - it is like seeing the future of football stadia. Fantastic ground, good atmosphere and a sell out. They play good footy in a prosperous, expanding city and have Sussex to themselves, more or less - there is a positivity about their club and it could carry them far (hopefully like ourselves). 30K is more than feasible, I would say. Good luck to them.
  • You can't compare the withdean to selhurst! The withdean is in Brighton!
  • their chairman has said that he has an unlimited amount of money for Poyet next year, could be ones to watch
  • definitley a club on the up, and the fans deserve it imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Presumably potential for concerts too
  • their chairman has said that he has an unlimited amount of money for Poyet next year, could be ones to watch
    With the new Ffp next year Directors can only invest 6m?
  • 18,000 season ticket holders apparently
  • They had 25000 applications for SEASON TICKETS this season - the owner knows what he is doing, believe me.
  • Tony Bloom is a clever guy................and minted

You sure?

Average Att this season: 20,029
    Highest Att this season: 20,968

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalAttendance/0,,10794~20117,00.html

• Falmer stadium is literally a 3 minute walk away from mine, and it's breathtaking, can't wait for you guys to see it .
  • Falmer stadium is literally a 3 minute walk away from mine, and it's breathtaking, can't wait for you guys to see it .
    You have a stadium?
  • C_A_F_C. Indeed !
    I've got a soft spot for the albion, home team..
  • Lol. Brighton and Hove is a city and they don't have another league club around for miles on end.
    especially south