Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The timing of the Ched Evans rape trial...

Comments

• It is a very good point and I am sure has had a huge effect on the SUFC team. I doubr whether the CPS really took into account his career when filing the charges, but I am no legal expert so cannot be sure of that.
    As far as the court's are concerned they are not interested in such things as promotion battles

• Ok cool, bit of a idiot(as you may of guessed) how come the FA aren't dealing with the Terry case?

A member of the public made a complaint to the police so it became a police matter. That takes precedence over a FA matter so the FA or it maybe the FAPL can't act until the legal case is over. If Terry is found guilty then the FA may well then act and impose their own punishment.

The FA should impose a punsihment if he is found guilty in the courts. If it is not proven guilty there should still be an enquiry. lower level of proof required

• And so it came to pass, that after Evans went to jail, Sheffield United failed to win any of their last 3 games, after being on a storming run of form, and missed automatic promotion...
    And then lost in the playoffs, looking completely toothless in the final. What a disaster for Sheffield United that court case was...
  • I think justice was done , I suspect that United would have made the play offs and lost if Evans had not played this season .

It's a shame for Danny Wilson because he did try to cover himself by signing Will Hoskins on loan on deadline day .Unfortunately for him he got injured in his first game . That coupled with Beattie's stupidity in being sent off a second time ( we all remember the first occasion ) and being banned for the three play off games meant that he had no options for a plan B in the play off matches and they looked tothless up top.

It's an added bonus that it probably cost Megson his job ,although I do feel sorry for Lee Clark ,but I'm not sure Hudders would have been promoted with him as Grayson is a proven manager in getting teams promoted from L1.
  • edited May 2012
    I hope that Sheff U fans do not forget Beatties stupidity, we slag off Russell but Beatties actions, those of a former international, an experienced player border on being criminal figuratively speaking (as oppossed to Evans which were literally criminal)
  • Just my view but there's no way Terry should have been picked for England. Sends out all the wrong messages.
  • A legal trial should never be influenced by football in any way, be that bringing forward or pushing back. It should take as long as it takes, whatever the person's job. Just as Evans shouldn't be stripped of his place in the team of the year. When the votes were placed he was innocent until proven guilty.
  • I think justice was done , I suspect that United would have made the play offs and lost if Evans had not played this season .

It's a shame for Danny Wilson because he did try to cover himself by signing Will Hoskins on loan on deadline day .Unfortunately for him he got injured in his first game . That coupled with Beattie's stupidity in being sent off a second time ( we all remember the first occasion ) and being banned for the three play off games meant that he had no options for a plan B in the play off matches and they looked tothless up top.

It's an added bonus that it probably cost Megson his job ,although I do feel sorry for Lee Clark ,but I'm not sure Hudders would have been promoted with him as Grayson is a proven manager in getting teams promoted from L1.
    Why was justice done ??????

The fact that Evans's 35 goals delivered nothing ,if he had been convicted earlier I believe the Blades would have still made the play offs and lost .

It would have seemed wrong if his conviction had been later and they would have been promoted.
  • If Evans had been jailed last summer or before the January window, United would have sacked him, thus removing his large wage bill, and used the money to get a replacement. Whether the replacement would have been as good is anybody's guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder how Evans found out the result?

*Cell-mate zips up his fly* "oh by the way, Your ex teammates got shafted today as well.............."

*Cell-mate zips up his fly* "oh by the way, Your ex teammates got shafted today as well.............."
    If that's not poor taste, I don't know what is!

If that's not poor taste, I don't know what is!
    And if he doesn't deserve it, I don't know who does...................

Made me chuckle
  • It's like putting the rubbish out after the binmen have been and gone...

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18264057
  • I have a hunch he may have difficulty finding a new club
  • I have a hunch he may have difficulty finding a new club
    I'm not so sure, I think someone will be lining up a move for him as soon as he is out. That unfortunately, is the way football is these days.

• It's unbelievable the amount of backing he still has amongst Blades supporters. One idiot on twitter told me to kill myself because I tweeted I was glad to see Evans was finally let go. Justice for Ched and all that rubbish. Makes me sick

The fact that Evans's 35 goals delivered nothing ,if he had been convicted earlier I believe the Blades would have still made the play offs and lost .

It would have seemed wrong if his conviction had been later and they would have been promoted.
    Cant accept that it would have been wrong if is court case had been later why should a club and its supporters be made to pay because of person unacceptable behaviour.

So if Charlton had been in the same postion and a player had done the same as evans you would accept that the same argument put to you then about charlton

Cant accept that it would have been wrong if is court case had been later why should a club and its supporters be made to pay because of person unacceptable behaviour.

So if Charlton had been in the same postion and a player had done the same as evans you would accept that the same argument put to you then about charlton

I would expect that person to be suspended during the trial like would happen in every other workplace and not given any special consideration for any projects they might be working on for the company.
    I would certainly not want Charlton to be put before any legal proceedings and if it was your sister, you wouldn't either.
  • Sponsored links:

• If a key member of our squad had been accused of a serious crime (e.g. Super Clive in 1998), but protested his innocence, would we have suspended him?
    Suppose we did, and missed promotion as a result, then when the trial was held (in July say) the prosecution case fell apart and our man found completely not guilty, would we feel morally correct for suspending him, or frustrated that we missed promotion because we suspended an innocent man?

Titus Bramble's case is going on at the moment, he wasn't suspended by Sunderland (he barely played, but that's for football reasons!).

Tony Adams came back to play for Arsenal once he left prison, Pennant played for Birmingham with a tag. Or does it depend on the seriousness of the crime?
  • I mean suspending him during the trial rather than while waiting for it as that could take years.

Other people suffer from this sort of thing all the time and I generally don't agree with a footballer being treated as a completely different job to any other simply because footballs client are more passionate than a banks.
  • I mean suspending him during the trial rather than while waiting for it as that could take years.

Other people suffer from this sort of thing all the time and I generally don't agree with a footballer being treated as a completely different job to any other simply because footballs client are more passionate than a banks.
    The major difference between footballers and most other jobs, is that their work doesn't clash with courtroom hours as much. I couldn't go to court and do my job, as the hours clash, Ched Evans was able to (at weekends), and with a successful team that had played together all season, missing training for a couple of weeks isn't a great loss. I don't think United had a midweek game during the trial, as I presume he would have been unable to play if they had.
  • DRFDRF
    edited May 2012
    Its a bit simplistic to think a player only has to work on Saturday. Even someone like Ledley King who doesn't train turns up everyday. Tactics, opposition research and training are a big part of match day preparation.

And it about doing the right thing, not getting away with it because your hours allow you too.

A club should be concerned with what a player does on and off the field.
  • A couple of weeks away from training wouldn't hurt that much, the player can always meet up with the manager in ther evenings if necessary

Incidentally, Bramble was found not guilty.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9303020/Sunderland-defender-Titus-Bramble-cleared-of-sexually-assaulting-two-women.html
  • A couple of weeks away from training wouldn't hurt that much, the player can always meet up with the manager in ther evenings if necessary

Incidentally, Bramble was found not guilty.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9303020/Sunderland-defender-Titus-Bramble-cleared-of-sexually-assaulting-two-women.html
    Yeah I suppose, for me its more the principle of the thing.
  • edited May 2012
    For me it's a retrospective thing. I agree that innocent until proven guilty, and I wouldn't have stopped him playing. Once found guilty (and I'm deliberately ignoring the prospect of an appeal) I felt a little bit uncomfortable that his 35 goals could influence the season in Sheff Utd's favour. Ironically had he been found not guilty I would have wanted them to be promoted and I have a real soft spot for United as Bramell land is, literally, just down the road from where I lived at University.

However, once the verdict sunk in, I was more and more keen for them to stay down another season, as I can't help thinking they wouldn't have been in second place if Evans hadn't been playing for them all season. I might even be wrong about that last fact, and I know I have no real justification or them staying down based on Evans conviction, it was just how I felt - rightly or wrongly.

• Has Evans been granted the right to appeal ?
  • Convicted rapist footballer Ched Evans will return to Sheffield United this summer on day-release from prison.

And if the striker’s fitness levels are up to scratch, he will sign a £3million three-year contract before Christmas.

Evans, 25, is due to be fully released in October after serving half of his five years for raping a 19-year-old woman.

But the Welsh international will be allowed out on day-release from July and will return to Bramhall Lane for pre-season training while tagged.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/convicted-rapist-footballer-ched-evans-3604122#ixzz32jboQdxW

• As predicted.